• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sensible or totally unfair?"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    why should we worry ?
    according to Fiona Godlee, editor in chief of the British Medical Journal , this week,
    Ebola 'fades into insignificance' when compared to climate change.

If the people in the know say that, it must be true

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    As a young child I had a variation of it when I was bitten by a green monkey in Nigeria but have survived. I also contracted Malaria, which I still have to this day (one of the more well known 'treatments' used by British expats was Gin and Tonic, not so much the gin but the tonic water as it used to contain quinine), Bilharzia and been bitten by a rabid dog which required 15 injections into my stomach one after another and look at me, fighting fit
    Lassa, Green Monkey (Marburg) and Ebola are all similar strains. They have been around for years. There were courses on them available in the armed services from early 70's onwards. The bio suits we had to wear supposedly offered protection. Porton Down was working on cures (and probably delivery systems also) from that time. The Russians are know to have been weaponising it and I am quite sure we in the west were doing the same.

None of this is new but of course with the ease of international transport today, the risk of pandemic is that much greater.

Scientists cannot even agree whether they are spread primarily by bats or mice having access to food stores. Maybe it's both and more.

The point is that it has not been and still is not containable. And given that it was being weaponised over 4 decades ago, you would think they would have a vaccine available by now. It's clear where the priorities are

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    As a young child I had a variation of it when I was bitten by a green monkey in Nigeria but have survived. I also contracted Malaria, which I still have to this day (one of the more well known 'treatments' used by British expats was Gin and Tonic, not so much the gin but the tonic water as it used to contain quinine), Bilharzia and been bitten by a rabid dog which required 15 injections into my stomach one after another and look at me, fighting fit
    with significant medical intervention & costs. If the body count starts rising they could be overwhelmed.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Though they have an excuse unlike in the UK where a lot of people have been found in numerous studies not to wash their hands with soap after going to the toilet
    Indeed. As indicated from time to time in stories about contamination of peanuts in bar rooms, mobile phones being dirtier than toilets etc. While it is quite true we do not have the visible evidence of poor hygiene, such as sewage in the streets, that is seen in very poor countries the risk could still be high. I suspect that if Ebola spread among a handful of people in our overcrowded cities before being spotted it could rapidly become a serious problem.

Some are calling the concerns hysteria but I would say we are being too complacent.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You are aware that a lot of the problem is down to lack of basic hygiene and sanitation? One of the reasons charities are giving soap to people in the region. (Though it doesn't really help if people don't have proper toilet facilities.)

Though they have an excuse unlike in the UK where a lot of people have been found in numerous studies not to wash their hands with soap after going to the toilet i.e. touching body fluids and medical staff have been caught not washing their hands when treating patients......
    You may be being a little blase. it reduces the risk rather than eliminates it

Reducing the risk of human-to-human transmission from direct or close contact with people with Ebola symptoms, particularly with their bodily fluids. Gloves and appropriate personal protective equipment should be worn when taking care of ill patients at home. Regular hand washing is required after visiting patients in hospital, as well as after taking care of patients at home.

It didn't help this lady much and she was wearing a suit and washing (most of the time)

Spanish nurse Ebola infection blamed on substandard gear and protocol lapse | World news | The Guardian

Staff at the hospital where she worked told El País that the protective suits they were given did not meet World Health Organisation (WHO) standards, which specify that suits must be impermeable and include breathing apparatus. Staff also pointed to latex gloves secured with adhesive tape as an example of how the suits were not impermeable and noted that they did not have their own breathing equipment.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Currently spread by touch of victims fluids. Even after death / departure.

WHO | Ebola virus disease

Unlikely but not impossible it could become airborne

CDC: Airborne Ebola possible but unlikely | TheHill

CDC: Ebola cases could hit 1.4M by January | TheHill

so its a little scary.
    You are aware that a lot of the problem is down to lack of basic hygiene and sanitation? One of the reasons charities are giving soap to people in the region. (Though it doesn't really help if people don't have proper toilet facilities.)

Though they have an excuse unlike in the UK where a lot of people have been found in numerous studies not to wash their hands with soap after going to the toilet i.e. touching body fluids and medical staff have been caught not washing their hands when treating patients......

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

so its a little scary.
    scary my @rse.

what a bunch of pansies we have become

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

so its a little scary.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I would hope it wouldn't matter what colour it is, the fact it came from Sierra Leon ...
    I cant fathom where sierra Leon is
    I think you mean
    Sierra Hotel India Tango-Hotel Oscar Lima Echo

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That simply isn't true. It's been extensively studied, and loads is known about it, including the risks associated with it and how to protect oneself against them. The problem is that you'll hardly ever see any of that information in MSM, as fearmongering attracts more eyeballs than facts and basic health education, and thus sells more papers/airtime.
    Yes, perhaps my statement was rather convenient. I couldn't be bothered to do all the checking before I made it, but now I have and I suggest you go read the WHO factsheet AND the FO travel advice and bear in mind that many international airlines have ceased flights until the end of this year because of the virus which has been upgraded in the region to epidemic.

The most salient part of the WHO press release is that all affected countries should declare a national emergency and screen departing passengers. Not once in that extensive interview did she say either of them had been screened when it is highly recommended. Are you saying everyone else has to listen to those extensive studies that you talk about and the Government of Sierra Leone and this woman are free to ignore it?

How can anyone be sure they have not come into contact with for example, bush meat?
    Over there, she works mainly in rural areas, where outbreaks are far more likely.
    It's ok to say 'yeah we've educated our kids not to get close to other kids'. I did that weekly when mine were at school but they still managed on occasion to come home with head lice. Why. Because kids don't do as they are told often.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    What Tractor said.

Very unlikely this kid had it but not impossible. I think some parents would be worried wherever he was from.

If an African guy comes to the UK he will most likely go to African areas, where there may be belief in witchcraft as a cause and the problem may not be reported soon enough. Another common idea that illness can be cured by a Pastor carrying out a laying on of hands does not sound too sensible either. Some who shout racism at every opportunity seem to live in complete ignorance of what the third world is like or the beliefs and practices it brings to the UK.

BBC News - Ebola outbreak: 'Witchcraft' hampering treatment, says doctor
    FrontPageAfrica - Stop Laying Hands on People to Cure Ebola, Clergy Pleads
    Rise in 'witchcraft' child abuse cases - not health related but shows how we are importing such beliefs
    Nigerian pastor declares cure for Ebola | Health24

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    no one knows enough about ebola to say what is safe and what isn't.
    That simply isn't true. It's been extensively studied, and loads is known about it, including the risks associated with it and how to protect oneself against them. The problem is that you'll hardly ever see any of that information in MSM, as fearmongering attracts more eyeballs than facts and basic health education, and thus sells more papers/airtime.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Regardless of all the rush to play the race card here, no one knows enough about ebola to say what is safe and what isn't. Call me whatever you like but if someone came up to me and said 'Hi, I've just arrived from Sierra Leone', I wouldn't be hanging around to see if a nosebleed developed. In any event, we are not talking about race here, as usual people use the word interchangeably with nationality and region which is the reason no one here knows the origin of the complainants and some are making ignorant assumptions.

The only way to ensure international safety would be to quarantine the region and ban international travel completely. Even then it would not be watertight because people are nomadic and especially in Africa have little regard for borders anyway.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Even though he's been there before the media whipped up a frenzy of ignorance about Ebola, carefully pointing out as they do so that it happens to African people?
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X