• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Source for a mint £2k ultra book"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I'll invoice you £2k for a DIY computer if you tell me the bits you want, as long as I can buy them for £1000 or less.

Leave a comment:

• zappakat
    replied
    I'd possibly look at something like this:-

MSI GT60 2OD-092UK Intel i7 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Scan.co.uk

And purchase additional memory to take it up to 32GB.

With the release of Haswell-E I'm going to build a workstation soon (cheaper in the long run than an OEM machine) for running VMs etc and my accountant confirmed that I could purchase all the necessary components and provided it was from the same supplier and invoice then it could be claimed back.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    errand. Unless made by an errant fool. In which case it is an errant fool's errand.
    FFS.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Quite. when I looked into doing something very similar recently, it was far cheaper over all to buy the items from several suppliers via Amazon, than go for one invoice through Dell , and then reclaim the VAT. YMMV, but going for the >£2k limit just to reclaim the VAT is a fool's errant.
    errand. Unless made by an errant fool. In which case it is an errant fool's errand.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Love the idea of spending £1500 more than you need to so you can save a few per cent on the VAT.

It's a tool, you get the most cost effective one, not the shiniest.
    Quite. when I looked into doing something very similar recently, it was far cheaper over all to buy the items from several suppliers via Amazon, than go for one invoice through Dell , and then reclaim the VAT. YMMV, but going for the >£2k limit just to reclaim the VAT is a fool's errant.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Thanks for posting a quote that basically backs up what I just said.

I'm aware it isn't restricted to a single item. It must be a single purchase of capital goods. All of the items in that example are capital goods. Accessories generally aren't capital goods so unless they are bought as part of an overall package, just buying lots of individual (non-capital) items to make the invoice total up to £2k doesn't qualify.

In the thread you linked to, Clare says pretty much exactly the same thing:

Which is what it seemed like you were suggesting when you said you could just buy £300 of bits and bobs to make up the invoice total.

But feel free to do whatever you think you can get away with if HMRC come poking.
    Claire only says consumables (e.g. printer ink) can't be classed as capital goods/assets. Nothing said about 'accessories' as such, nor on the HMRC link.

Looking at the HMRC link, I don't see why a docking station can't be a capital good/asset.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes but even most developers don't want or need to do that (at the same time). That's an extreme use-case better suited to a suitcase-style laptop
    sorry just listing what was running on my machine and dev server. It is a suitcase style machine but cost just less than £2k list price a year ago.

I would put an SSD in it as well but you know what Corporates are like.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Makes sense to spec up an ultrabook to above £2k (VAT reclaim).

I'm looking for something mint. Fast, light weight, mega storage. And above all >£2k Essentially a MacBook on windows (and no, there is no way in putting that filth on my current MacBook)
    Here's one on the same subject...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...k-laptops.html

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    Good lord no, one does not have the requisite skill to actually produce a product or do anything which actually makes a difference.
    Haha, too right.

Sent from my ridiculous Dell currently running 5 VM's and Visual Studio.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Visual Studio, SSMS, SQL server & Oracle and a few virtual machines will cripple almost any machine.
    Yes but even most developers don't want or need to do that (at the same time). That's an extreme use-case better suited to a suitcase-style laptop

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Like what?
    Visual Studio, SSMS, SQL server & Oracle and a few virtual machines will cripple almost any machine.

you could also throw in a NAS as part of the package.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Covered in this thread

and here: HM Revenue & Customs: Flat Rate Scheme for VAT
    • It must be a single purchase of capital goods with a VAT-inclusive price of £2,000 or more. That doesn't mean you are restricted to claiming back the VAT on a single item - for example, you could buy a pizza oven, fridge and dishwasher, as long as you buy them at the same time from the same supplier and the price is more than £2,000 including VAT
    Thanks for posting a quote that basically backs up what I just said.

I'm aware it isn't restricted to a single item. It must be a single purchase of capital goods. All of the items in that example are capital goods. Accessories generally aren't capital goods so unless they are bought as part of an overall package, just buying lots of individual (non-capital) items to make the invoice total up to £2k doesn't qualify.

In the thread you linked to, Clare says pretty much exactly the same thing:

In my view that means you can buy a package deal that includes various items, but you cannot just buy a lot of little things that would usually be consumables (and written off to the P&L) just to make it £2,000.
    Which is what it seemed like you were suggesting when you said you could just buy £300 of bits and bobs to make up the invoice total.

But feel free to do whatever you think you can get away with if HMRC come poking.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 1 October 2014, 15:29.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Its debatable whether or not that would qualify...HMRC do give an example of a computer "package" which I would take to mean as a computer + accessories being specifically sold as a package by the supplier. If they aren't genuinely part of a package, then if you're buying multiple items I'd have thought they would all have to be capital assets for the entire purchase to qualify. Ask your accountant.
    Covered in this thread

and here: HM Revenue & Customs: Flat Rate Scheme for VAT
    • It must be a single purchase of capital goods with a VAT-inclusive price of £2,000 or more. That doesn't mean you are restricted to claiming back the VAT on a single item - for example, you could buy a pizza oven, fridge and dishwasher, as long as you buy them at the same time from the same supplier and the price is more than £2,000 including VAT

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Have you ever tried running Eclipse, compiling a Java project or running virtual machines? At the very least you want as much RAM as you can get, and a whizzy multi-core processor doesn't hurt either.
    Good lord no, one has people for such chores.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Like what?
    ....oh, I get it now, you want to play games.
    Have you ever tried running Eclipse, compiling a Java project or running virtual machines? At the very least you want as much RAM as you can get, and a whizzy multi-core processor doesn't hurt either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X