• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where's all the home grown talent?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    We've already identified that you're an ignorant racist cretinous prick,...
    Agreed. Seven day ban.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Roma are hated all through Europe.
    That does't sound much fun.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    not doing work on ATMs?
    Romanian doesn't equal Roma.

Roma are hated all through Europe.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Funny you should say that . 3 of the 5 CVs I've recommended for shortlisting are from Romanians.
    not doing work on ATMs?

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Then hire Eastern Europeans then all from the same country. There must be away you can attract Romanians......
    Funny you should say that . 3 of the 5 CVs I've recommended for shortlisting are from Romanians.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

And, yes. It worries me about the future here. I think the writing is on the wall and we need to prepare ourselves for when the uk tech sector becomes an Indian closed shop.
    Then hire Eastern Europeans then all from the same country. There must be away you can attract Romanians......

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    £30 per hour.
    Oh I see, thought you were looking for someone in IT.

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    He does have a point with this:

It's not only Saudi / Dubai. Ask any black African.
    You really had to watch your back. Basically they wanted the whole IT operation to be a closed shop - i.e. Indians only - and they would snipe and eavesdrop what you thought were private conversations and go to senior management (always a Saudi or Emirati) with their twisted version of events in the hope that you'd be their patsy.

Fortunately at that time, a western expat was far higher up the pecking order than an Indian so they usually ended up wearing egg on their faces.

However, I think that has now changed and they have the tech market well and truly stitched up out there with very few opportunities for western expats unless you're in something very niche.

And, yes. It worries me about the future here. I think the writing is on the wall and we need to prepare ourselves for when the uk tech sector becomes an Indian closed shop.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    30 per hour + all the unwanted gropes an eastern European developer could want.
    You should have applied then.

You'd have got a pay rise and a sex life.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Gad, Carruthers, we didn't get to wear funny hats & rule half the world with that sort of attitude.

I blame the invention of the AK47.

Harummph.

<ZG in "Colonel Blimp forever" mode>
    Can't trust those Commies either.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    We've already identified that you're an ignorant racist cretinous prick, so need to provide further evidence. But thank you for your time.
    He does have a point with this:

Ask any Saudi / Dubai expat about the Indian Mafia.
    It's not only Saudi / Dubai. Ask any black African.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Why not look at their qualifications?
    maybe he/she doesnt like fiction

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    around £1.2k a week? For the joy of working with me? They should have been queueing around the block.
    30 per hour + all the unwanted gropes an eastern European developer could want.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    So what if Sanjeev and Nitin are homegrown? they can be 2nd or 3d generation immigrants
    You know already some British people are thick.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Ok, so if it's a UK born person with an Indian name it doesn't go in the bin. As for Indians that were educated in the EU - well that doesn't seem to be much middle ground. You either have Indians born and educated in the subcontinent or UK born people of Indian decent that were educated here.

And as for all the cries of racism - I've worked in the middle east for a number of years & just you wait until the on-shored Indians are in middle management. Then you'll really need to watch your back. Ask any Saudi / Dubai expat about the Indian Mafia.

And what happens when there's another slump with all those Indian programmers surplus to requirements - think they're all going to go home? I get the impression they've all got their feet firmly under the table.

Sounds harsh, I know - but that's the way I feel.
    I'm not racist but......

BTW I've met and worked alongside people of Indian origin educated in other EU countries, SA, Oz and the US who for some reason decide to work over in the UK.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X