• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why was this careless driving and not murder?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    And reading the later post with more detail. the Beeb kinda makes it out that the immigrant (from the name one would gather she is not British)

Why are you bringing race into this? No idea if she was British or not. And it should make no difference either way.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Should have been done for making off from an accident as well.
    She was probably very afraid. If someone started abusing me and jumped on my car I wouldn't think twice about flooring it outta there.

And reading the later post with more detail. the Beeb kinda makes it out that the immigrant (from the name one would gather she is not British) purposly flung the victim off and drove off.

I find the sentence quite harsh myself. I'd take into account self-defence..oops that doesn't exist in the UK.

Now we await to find out just how much compo will be paid out.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Murder rates are down but that's only because its now called manslaughter.
    You have to have premeditated (planed) to kill some one for it to be murder.
    e.g a pub fight, guy stamps on a guys head killing him, is still manslaughter.
    But a guy go's into Homebase to buy knife/ shovel and 5m of plastic wrap to go round his ex girlfriends to kill her. (murder)

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by UglyBetty View Post
    If that version of events is true, sounds a reasonable act of self preservation.
    I once knocked down a guy who was threatening to stab me (albeit without showing me a knife). Guess which one of us had the multi page criminal record while the other then went on to discuss the whole affair with a judge in crown court......******* great year that was. At least I didn't go to jail like the first barrister who recommended I plead guilty said was likely to happen.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Plus if you climb on someone else's car while its moving...
    That could be construed as an assault on the driver, if she had reasonable grounds to fear she would be physically atacked.

So she could argue that driving away was self defence, and wishing to avoid confrontation.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Link to trial

I think on balance if someone with alcohol in their system started kicking my car, trying to open the doors & then got onto my bonnet to prevent me driving off I would have done exactly the same
    I think I'm inclined to agree.

I get the feeling that the world is a better place after that incident.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Link to trial

I think on balance if someone with alcohol in their system started kicking my car, trying to open the doors & then got onto my bonnet to prevent me driving off I would have done exactly the same
    Yup me too, the only thing that counts against her is that the police told her to stay put.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 July 2014, 09:20.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Only way out would be suicide
    Yes I expect you're right. Even my mamma has given up on me

Leave a comment:

• UglyBetty
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Seems there was more to the argument than was mentioned in the Beeb
    If that version of events is true, sounds a reasonable act of self preservation.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    At today's opening of what is expected to be a five-day trial, Alison Hunter, prosecuting, told the jury that Mrs McHugh had been drinking in The Lord Kitchener pub in East Barnet Road with her husband, John, and children for "a couple of hours at least" when she went to drive her family home at around 6.30pm.

Ms Hunter said: "It might be suggested that in view of the levels of alcohol that was in Mrs McHugh's system that it might have been better if she wasn't going to drive home."

Link to trial

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Seems there was more to the argument than was mentioned in the Beeb report:
    Top find - many thanks.

I think she should have waited for the police though - driving off in a car is as good as pulling a knife. I reckon 12 months is too short.

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I agree. I didn't say it was right. She got 12 months, and I think that is a significant punishment.

I really am going to have to get shot of that UKIP logo. I just need to think of something to replace it with..
    You are well know for sex with cleaners and supporting UKIP. Your logo won't change anything. Only way out would be a sockie - but you will get spotted soon enough. I hope you know I meant it tongue-in-cheek. This is general and one is expected to behave like a moron round here - it seems to be encouraged.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is this a standard UKIP response? Then its lost what little sympathy I had. There was not attempt to kill - does not mean it is right. Driving a car is like carrying a knife - you have to be very careful how you use it.
    I agree. I didn't say it was right. She got 12 months, and I think that is a significant punishment.

I really am going to have to get shot of that UKIP logo. I just need to think of something to replace it with..

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Seems there was more to the argument than was mentioned in the Beeb report:

Mrs McHugh and her husband had been drinking in the pub with their children and nephew Anthony Marriott before they went into the car park so Mrs McHugh could drive them home.

They noticed Okai Koi’s car parked close to their own, blocking their rear passenger door.

When Okai-Koi returned to the car park, after visiting the Sainsbury’s supermarket opposite, there was a heated row in which the couple verbally abused her for her inconsiderate parking and for using the pub car park despite not being a customer.

When Okai-Koi got into the vehicle they continued their verbal assault while kicking, slapping and trying to enter the car.

After Okai-Koi had driven to the car park exit and stopped to call the police, witnesses reported seeing the intoxicated 20-stone mother-of-one trying to enter the car before sitting and “bouncing” on the bonnet of the black Vauxhall Insignia, before the nurse drove away, turning right onto East Barnet Road and throwing Mrs McHugh off the car. Okai-Koi told the court she had feared for her safety.

- FINCHLEY TODAY | NEWS | Nurse jailed after mother of two killed in road rage row | 2014

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by UglyBetty View Post
    In a similar league to that guy who punched a bloke, who then hit his head on the kerb and died, IMO. No intention to kill, but a foreseeable outcome of the action.

Can't remember what he got.

That was totally different. Have you ever been banged out? or banged anyone else out? That was as good as attempted murder - the chances of very serious damage were high. In this case it sounds like the driver was going slowly and the victim just got unlucky. 9 out of 10 times she'd be fine.

In the punch video, 9 times out of ten the victim would be properly ****ed up.

Leave a comment:

• UglyBetty
    replied
    In a similar league to that guy who punched a bloke, who then hit his head on the kerb and died, IMO. No intention to kill, but a foreseeable outcome of the action.

Can't remember what he got.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X