• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can an agency find out what rate you were on previously?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Locked.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
    I just don't understand why people argue for the sake of arguing
    You may have come to the wrong place.

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Indeed. It's not like we haven't already done this to death in General.
    indeed.. happy to continue in General.

I just don't understand why people argue for the sake of arguing

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Indeed. It's not like we haven't already done this to death in General.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    No, not at all. Not sure why/how you feel that.

In the example, I used an arbitrary figure of 12% Margin as being a competitors rate.

On a day rate of £1000 @ 12% Margin, the Client would be charged £1136.36 versus our charge of £1070.00 @ 7% mark-up.

It's not deliberate (or unnecessarily) misleading at all. We're stating our charge in comparison to another Agencies charge - quite clearly
    My point is: Why compare mark-up with margin,; why not mark-up with mark-up or margin with margin? Answer: Because doing it your way, the difference is greater and therefore more impressive. It does not fool contractors why should it fool clients?

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    So £1000 per day pay = £1120.00 @ 12% mark-up - which means that your comparison is deliberately (and unnecessarily) misleading by an extra £16.36.
    No, not at all. Not sure why/how you feel that.

In the example, I used an arbitrary figure of 12% Margin as being a competitors rate.

On a day rate of £1000 @ 12% Margin, the Client would be charged £1136.36 versus our charge of £1070.00 @ 7% mark-up.

It's not deliberate (or unnecessarily) misleading at all. We're stating our charge in comparison to another Agencies charge - quite clearly

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    ok... go on...?

£1000 per day pay = £1136.36 charge @ 12% Margin
    £1000 per day pay = £1070.00 charge @ 7% mark-up
    £1136.36 - £1070.00 = £66.36

£66.36 * 5 = £331.80 per week
    So £1000 per day pay = £1120.00 @ 12% mark-up - which means that your comparison is deliberately (and unnecessarily) misleading by an extra £16.36.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Who is comparing?

We're stating that we apply a Mark-up rather than Margin... which is much more transparent and easier to calculate; I'm sure you'll agree.
    to quote Taita: "If anybody has the most basic maths ability then Mark-up is as easy to calculate as Margin."
    Yes, yes, yes. But we're talking about recruitment agents here (at least in part).

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Which was easier to calculate?
    to quote Taita: "If anybody has the most basic maths ability then Mark-up is as easy to calculate as Margin."

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    ok, sorry

So roughly £70 margin / £65 mark up - so the contractor would get 930 / 935 of the 1000
    Which was easier to calculate?

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    The question was about £1,000 pd inclusive of margin / mark-up.

I am a client. My budget is £1,000 pd (ex VAT ). That is what I will pay you. How much in £ is a 7% mark-up and how much a 7% margin?
    ok, sorry

So roughly £70 margin / £65 mark up - so the contractor would get 930 / 935 of the 1000

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    How much does the agency take on a 7% margin of £1,000 pd inclusive of margin (i.e. cost to client)?
    How much does the agency take on a 7% mark-up of £1,000 pd inclusive of mark-up (i.e. cost to client)?
    £1075.27 - margin
    £1070.00 - mark up
    ok... go on...?

The question was about £1,000 pd inclusive of margin / mark-up.

I am a client. My budget is £1,000 pd (ex VAT ). That is what I will pay you. How much in £ is a 7% mark-up and how much a 7% margin?

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    SORRY! Who is comparing??? If anybody has the most basic maths ability then Mark-up is as easy to calculate as Margin.

However, when you quote your competitors' margins against your mark-up you are quoting a greater figure in opposition to your lower figure........so no comparison arises but you do muddy the waters which I think is as unnecessary (in view of the big difference) as it is deliberately misleading.

An 18% margin is around a 20% mark-up but that does not look too good in an advert. But, Hey, Good Luck to you. You are successful and deserving of our praise AND our custom!
    All of that is fine - but we are not charging 20% mark-up... we're charging 7% mark-up versus (say) 12% Margin... which is about 13/14% mark-up

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    When did I berate agencies for charging the earth?

And your comprehension / maths is wrong.
    ok... go on...?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X