• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Help with choosing an umbrella company."

Collapse

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Can't remember who Tarpon used to be, but IIRC they received less than glowing references in their former incarnation. Actually, thinking about it, didn't their previous company go bust?

Just go with Lisa
    I think if you look back they were Prosperity 4, before they reappeared again

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    For my first contract I was with contractor umbrella, they were good efficient and charged a flat rate, at the time (5 years ago or so)it was something like £100 per month

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Yeah but a whole year of emergency tax??

And with me despite them assuring me that on completion of p87 I would get my money back I still haven't and for a very short contract it was a sizeable amount.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    Avoid parasol my personal experience was bad and a recent colleague has just discovered she has been paying too much tax thru them.
    They put me on emergency tax because they forgot to ask for my P45 and they closed their year end too soon.You can't pay too much tax as you can recover the tax when you complete your tax return but I admit it screws up your cash flow.
    I am happy with their online invoicing and expenses system.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    I was with Contrqactor Umbrella for a while last year before I set up my ltd and was very pleased with them. Very straight and efficient.

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied
    Orange Genie are worth a punt

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Also, just out of interest, a tarpon is a large predatory North Atlantic fish of no commercial value whatsoever. I'll let you draw your own conclusion regarding the choice of name...
    As opposed to a tampon, which is probably a more accurate name for them.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by harrisjac View Post
    I've recently become an employee for an IT company and i need to choose an umbrella company to go with. Several people have recommended parasol but i see tarpon are giving away free ipad airs. Whats everyones recommendations?
    Give the Freebies a miss and do a credit check before you select a provider.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    They used to be Propsperity4, who vanished ion a cloud of smoke a few years ago.

Also, just out of interest, a tarpon is a large predatory North Atlantic fish of no commercial value whatsoever. I'll let you draw your own conclusion regarding the choice of name...
    The adult Tarpon prefers to dwell near the muddy bottom...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Can't remember who Tarpon used to be, but IIRC they received less than glowing references in their former incarnation. Actually, thinking about it, didn't their previous company go bust?

Just go with Lisa
    They used to be Propsperity4, who vanished ion a cloud of smoke a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Just go with Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Avoid parasol my personal experience was bad and a recent colleague has just discovered she has been paying too much tax thru them.

Leave a comment:

• riffpie
    replied
    I've recently become an employee for an IT company and i need to choose an umbrella company to go with. Several people have recommended parasol but i see tarpon are giving away free ipad airs. Whats everyones recommendations?
    Never, ever, ever let "free iPad" be used to convince to you do something. Ever.

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    Free anything sounds gimmicky and I wouldn't trust them to be honest. Free my ar$e, it's still the fees you're paying to them that make it 'free'.

No recommendations from me as I don't use a brolly, but Lisa from ContractUmbrella is a regular contributor and I know I'd give them a call at least if I ever needed an umbrella.

And I too would like to know why an employee requires an umbrella in the first place...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Help with choosing an umbrella company.

An 'employee'?? Then why are you here? (I have a good guess).

Anyway, ignoring that anomaly. Have you wondered how they can afford to give away 'free' iPad airs?

Oh, and are they still charging a percentage of your day rate instead of a monthly flat rate? (Those 2 statements may be connected...)

Google tarpon first and look past their website.

Do your homework before you sign up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X