• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Large Scottish bank"

Collapse

• Mulder
    replied
    Originally posted by ascender View Post
    And which agencies does that other institution prefer to use?
    I believe Core Asset seems to be their preferred agency, but also 2i, Head Resourcing, etc.

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    And which agencies does that other institution prefer to use?

Leave a comment:

• Mulder
    replied
    Originally posted by raphal View Post
    which one ??
    Think 1 George St.

Leave a comment:

• raphal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mulder View Post
    A well known Scottish Investments company on George St apparently
    which one ??

Leave a comment:

• Mulder
    replied
    A well known Scottish Investments company on George St apparently has 300 vacancies, if those at the Large Royally Screwed Scottish Bank are looking to walk after the 10% cut.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Oh... i thought perm-tractors meant contractors that didn't act like contractors. Bum on seat BAU stuff.
    Yes that is what I meant - what Mr Donuts is describing are Numptys

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    did the perma tractor agencies get shafted as well?

cant believe the way those agencies work, charge customer contract rates then pay permie wages to their staff

just wonder about the quality of people that the perma tractor agencies provide
    Sorry - what I meant by Perma-tractors are Ltd Co contractors who have been at RBS for years on end. I was working with people who had been there 5 years plus - in fact - that was 3 years ago and three of them are still there.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post

cant believe the way those agencies work, charge customer contract rates then pay permie wages to their staff

Oh... i thought perm-tractors meant contractors that didn't act like contractors. Bum on seat BAU stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    When I was there the place was full of Perma-tractors

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And it would play well into the "attack the bankers" school of thought.

Why is it a poor show that people didn't choose to put themselves out of work with virtually no notice? The responsible thing to do would be to accept it and demand a short notice period in the new contract (or make sure you have a good MOO clause) and immediately start looking for work. The net result is they still lose all the people who can find other work, but you keep earning in the meantime.

It doesn't make business sense for a company to say "oh well we won't be making as much profit as we were, so we'll stop entirely until we can". You seek to maximise total profit.
    Careful. You're almost advocating there that one should look after themselves. You'll be telling us to bail into higher paid contracts soon. :-)

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    BBC News - RBS plan for 200% bonuses blocked by Treasury body

Oh so this is why they wanted to cut contractor rates...

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    When I was there the place was full of Perma-tractors
    Still is, I know very few contractors (actually I cannot think of any) who are not disguised permies.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Vast majority of contractors in IBs are disguised employees. If HMRC were serious about IR35 they'd just go through linkedin and get them. I think they just prefer the odd scare story tho'.
    And it would play well into the "attack the bankers" school of thought.

Originally posted by Underscore Pt2 View Post
    So it would appear that almost everyone has eventually accepted after follow up calls from Agencies. A very poor show
    Why is it a poor show that people didn't choose to put themselves out of work with virtually no notice? The responsible thing to do would be to accept it and demand a short notice period in the new contract (or make sure you have a good MOO clause) and immediately start looking for work. The net result is they still lose all the people who can find other work, but you keep earning in the meantime.

It doesn't make business sense for a company to say "oh well we won't be making as much profit as we were, so we'll stop entirely until we can". You seek to maximise total profit.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I take it everyone has read this. Just think if all the contractors involved took the same, coordinated action...

One day the value of joint representation will sink in.

Leave a comment:

• Underscore Pt2
    replied
    So it would appear that almost everyone has eventually accepted after follow up calls from Agencies. A very poor show and as others have said a lot of "permies in disguise"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X