• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recruiters on private numbers"

Collapse

• Manz
    replied
    I got 3 of these calls this week, they all left voice mails asking me to call them back, when I called back, it went to the front desk and the guy who answered there took a message and said he will pass it on to the person who called me, it was the exact same thing for all 3 phone calls I made and I didn't hear back from any of them...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's not uncommon for people to block private numbers completely, you can enable this feature on landline phones at least. Will agents try again without blocking their number or is this a price you pay for being a contractor?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Uh no dude ...

+20 3 is Egypt, Alexandria.

They identify themselves as Advance consulting, but they are obviously scammers.
    They are Avance consulting, they call from India but there number appears as a London based.

They keep setting up interviews for me with tech mahindra without asking me. And yes I don't understand a word what they are saying.

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    Wouldn't be a pyramid scheme they are touting, would it?

(I'm here all week, folks)

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Uh no dude ...

+20 3 is Egypt, Alexandria.

They identify themselves as Advance consulting, but they are obviously scammers.
    Wouldn't be a pyramid scheme they are touting, would it?

(I'm here all week, folks)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    0203 numbers are commonly VoIP. Usually when I get a call from one it's a recruiter in Hyperbad or similar with no concept of UK geography and a really thick accent.
    Since London has run out of numbers you will get bona-fide agents using them now with accents you can easily understand though they still don't have a concept of UK geography.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by mos View Post
    like +20 3 608 **** ostensibly from London. Called me 4 times. Could not understand a word.
    0203 numbers are commonly VoIP. Usually when I get a call from one it's a recruiter in Hyperbad or similar with no concept of UK geography and a really thick accent.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Same could be said for most Yorkshire folk
    Yorkshire folk don't ring people - they're too tight to waste even their free minutes on things like that!

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Just part of dealing with agents. Nothing new here. If you are going to get upset everytime an agent doesn't get back to you or appears to be full of it you are going to have a miserable time contracting.

Suck it up and just get on with looking for a gig.
    WNLUKS

+ this:

I enjoy speaking to agents to see if I can be sure whether there is a role there or not - usually this is very obvious so it's not much of a challenge but some agents are quite good at pretending there is a real role - in this case I have got better and better at second guessing them. I should add a skill to my CV that I am an excellent Agent BS detector.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    My phone rang yesterday and it was a "normal" ringtone rather than one I have for family. I'd forgotten what it was like to get a call from someone I'm not related to
    Same could be said for most Yorkshire folk

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    My phone rang yesterday and it was a "normal" ringtone rather than one I have for family. I'd forgotten what it was like to get a call from someone I'm not related to

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mos View Post
    That was my problem at previous clientCo who had blocked number. I was compelled to answer each and every agent and it was really annoying.
    LOL yeah. Also hated missing calls as I didn't know what it was about. At least if there was a number I could just ignore and call back later.

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Last two clients I had all had withheld numbers. It's not uncommon, nor is the leaving tulip VM's. Neither of these points are unique to agents.
    That was my problem at previous clientCo who had blocked number. I was compelled to answer each and every agent and it was really annoying.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    But why this private number malarkey?

As SE says, I ignore these and wait for them to leave a message.

Also, hate it when it comes up private and then some bellend leaves a message mumbling at 100mph and u aint got a clue what he/she said his name was or what the number was anyway!
    Last two clients I had all had withheld numbers. It's not uncommon, nor is the leaving tulip VM's. Neither of these points are unique to agents.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    But why this private number malarkey?

As SE says, I ignore these and wait for them to leave a message.

Also, hate it when it comes up private and then some bellend leaves a message mumbling at 100mph and u aint got a clue what he/she said his name was or what the number was anyway!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X