• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rotherham

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rotherham"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by dezze View Post
    Being a good Sheffield boy (that now lives in Hampshire) I think you're going to find it a bit of a culture shock. If you can train it and want gyms, some sort of life etc., an option is rent a place in Sheffield near the train station. It's actually not bad there now - much better than when I was a lad! Forget Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster IMHO.
    Agreed, I live about 40 miles south east of Sheffield and it starts to get civilised the further out you go. Sheffield is a pretty nice place these days, but dead after closing time. There's very little in the way of late night entertainment unless you count student grade night clubs. If you're happy to be home well before midnight there are some good places.

Avoid Doncaster at all costs, there's a reason Jeremy Clarkson legged it down south as soon as he was able.

Never had the courage to visit Barnsley...
    Last edited by DaveB; 29 November 2013, 10:17.

Leave a comment:

• dezze
    replied
    Being a good Sheffield boy (that now lives in Hampshire) I think you're going to find it a bit of a culture shock. If you can train it and want gyms, some sort of life etc., an option is rent a place in Sheffield near the train station. It's actually not bad there now - much better than when I was a lad! Forget Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagnando Con Pietro View Post
    I can get most of that in Wycombe. Have also contracted in Bristol - that seemed pretty 21st Century.

I just have never been to Yorkshire in my entire life. Looks like Im in for a bit of a shock if I choose to a3ccept the ròle.
    Well actually most of the major cities are ok. Look, just be a good neighbour and you'll get along fine - that trumps just about everything else these days (you might have to keep telling everyone that you're a Southerner tho. Bear that one in mind...)

Leave a comment:

• Bagnando Con Pietro
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    The reason I thought that you were Italian is that your criteria for somewhere to live were just so.... Italian.

I could not believe that you were asking for something so far removed from reality in YORKSHIRE and thought that it was because you've never lived in a rural community in England.

Anyway, follow my suggestions and you should find somewhere to live.

If you want to live 'in the 21st Century' and have cycling access to gyms and cinemas you'll have to live in London.

(Rural = in the middle of nowhere whout amenities and no public transport).
    I can get most of that in Wycombe. Have also contracted in Bristol - that seemed pretty 21st Century.

I just have never been to Yorkshire in my entire life. Looks like Im in for a bit of a shock if I choose to a3ccept the ròle.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    High Wycombe born and bred!

My Parsnips are Asian though.
    The reason I thought that you were Italian is that your criteria for somewhere to live were just so.... Italian.

I could not believe that you were asking for something so far removed from reality in YORKSHIRE and thought that it was because you've never lived in a rural community in England.

Anyway, follow my suggestions and you should find somewhere to live.

If you want to live 'in the 21st Century' in a village and have cycling access to gyms and cinemas you'll have to live in central London.

(Rural = in the middle of nowhere without amenities or public transport).

Leave a comment:

• Bagnando Con Pietro
    replied
    Sorry, you sounded Italian.
    High Wycombe born and bred!

My Parsnips are Asian though.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    This is my country!
    Sorry, you sounded Italian.

Leave a comment:

• Bagnando Con Pietro
    replied

Basically think of a rural village in your own country and transplant it into Yorkshire - that's how they work around the globe generally.
    This is my country!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    When I aay 221C I mean gay friendly security settinggs thankyo
    The only villages that openly admit that they are 21st Century are around Clerkenwell, Shoreditch and Islington.

(They are also the ones that meet your criteria, without the rural bit, obv...)

But provided you're discreet and are a good neighbour (keep the front of the house looking tidy, offer to take in your neighbour's online shopping without flogging it on Ebay) - most rural areas will let you live there.

Basically think of a rural village in your own country and transplant it into Yorkshire - that's how they work around the globe generally.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    There are no gays in Yorkshire, Lad.

Leave a comment:

• Bagnando Con Pietro
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I got a room here for £35 a night and drove into Rotherham (20-25 mins). Mexborough is closer though.

Wortley Hall

Grounds are beautiful and the beer is as cheap as you like.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Rotherham is an absolute tuliphole beyond compare....
    What he said. It's an abysmal place.

There aren't even any reasonably nice places within easy commuting distance.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    I have to disagree with the following two posters, Mexborough shows how low Rotherham could sink.

I'm sure there are plenty of properties where you could have exclusive use of the brick outbuilding at the bottom of the garden. Many properties have only recently upgraded from a tin bath in front of the fire. Your own kitchen is a pipedream.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Hello everyone,

Does anyone here know the Rotherham area? I'm starting on a new contract there in January (fixed term) . Actually it's Mexborough but that, from my understanding, is part of Rotherham.
    So not really contracting then

Leave a comment:

Working...
X