• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Depressing Market

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Depressing Market"

Collapse

• donjuan75
    replied
    ha

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    You really do need to look at your interview technique.

Ha! Not mid-interview, I should add.

Things have since picked up again. Need to post in other thread about leaving BobCo.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I think the powers that be seem to think that immigrant labour is near slave labour which is a mistake as a lot of Poles went home when it stopped being worth their while a few years back.

They may have much smaller commitments than us but they do still have commitments.

Leave a comment:

• Murder1
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Agencies based in India, competing with local agencies.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Agencies based in India, competing with local agencies.

Leave a comment:

• Murder1
    replied
    I'm sure I'm going to be shot down for this but what is a "bobagent"?

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Agents and clients think immigrants are stupid.

Even the sheds with beds aren't cheap.
    and there you go again

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Been recruiting for a project team for the last few weeks. The jobs have been on all the boards. The vast majority of people we have interviewed have been of overseas origin. I don't see how the market can have been as bad as some say given the quality of response we have had.
    See your point ... still it is so depressing that hiring managers consider foreign born candidates below par. It may be true about certain types of candidates, however people from my part of the world are very capable.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Funny thing is even the bobs are not happy with these rates. There was a comment on the immigration boards about London being rubbish and dropping below the £250 a day mark.

Agents and clients think immigrants are stupid.

Even the sheds with beds aren't cheap.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I´m seeing adverts for banking contracts in the City at "market rates"......

This is not good.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Funny thing is even the bobs are not happy with these rates. There was a comment on the immigration boards about London being rubbish and dropping below the £250 a day mark.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Peregrine66 View Post
    Just seem this advert on Jobserve

.Net Developer/WPF/C# - City of London - July-23-2013 (DA8iG)

Rang the agent to check that the rate wasn't a misprint, and was assured that it was totally genuine. Are these people living in a dream world?
    Bright Purple, BobAgent....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• Peregrine66
    replied
    Just seem this advert on Jobserve

.Net Developer/WPF/C# - City of London - July-23-2013 (DA8iG)

Rang the agent to check that the rate wasn't a misprint, and was assured that it was totally genuine. Are these people living in a dream world?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    ^ know what you mean, but if I fully qualified the specific skills, market sector, location etc. it would be almost unique anyway. I think as a general comment on IT contracts it adds a broad brushstroke
    It's not helpful as I don't have a problem with the market.

It does help I'm reasonably mobile, have years of contract experience and find contracts in various ways.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    ^ know what you mean, but if I fully qualified the specific skills, market sector, location etc. it would be almost unique anyway. I think as a general comment on IT contracts it adds a broad brushstroke
    But most 'What is the market like' questions don't take those factors in. They generalise so much you cannot come to a reasonable conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X