• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Green grass (the life of a contractor?)"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    most will bin your CV if the see Dr on it
    nonsense

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    Cool, so when you say you work away is that abroad or London? I do all kinds of PM and also transformational work and consultancy too, but everything is in London!
    It's the usual - London/Leeds/Bristol/Manchester.

I used to do a lot of work abroad but I don't take those contracts these days.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I'm a Service Management BA.
    Cool, so when you say you work away is that abroad or London? I do all kinds of PM and also transformational work and consultancy too, but everything is in London!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    Interesting, what's your skillset, Cojak? I'd love to go for an 'way from home' contract but London has kept me contracting in it for around 8 years. Would love to try Europe.
    I'm a Service Management BA.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Thanks for all the posts. My skill set is HCI, usability; in complex systems. Market rates seem to be 4-600 a day in the area, from what I've seen.
    Seems to be 400-600 p/d for most skillsets. As a PM, sometimes I earn more than my dev mates, sometimes they earn more.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    I've been contracting for over 13 years. I did have one 3 month contract where I could commute every day (1 hour 40mins on the train) a few years ago, but apart from that I've always had to work away from home.

But because of that I've rarely been out of contract.
    Interesting, what's your skillset, Cojak? I'd love to go for an 'way from home' contract but London has kept me contracting in it for around 8 years. Would love to try Europe.

Leave a comment:

• ITPRO2
    replied
    Here's the deal. With a bunch of qualifications including a doctorate and 12 years industry experience I think I am ready for the contact world.

If i stay where I am I get good pay (currently £60k p/a) and a generous final salary pension. But it feels the 'safe' choice.

Safe is good, I have a family and dependencies.

Am I mad to even think about leaving this sweet setup. I'm 35 and I feel like I have to decide the rest of my career right now!

Anyone else go through this, any advice you can pass on.

Thanks. PG
    You didn't say what industry you are in? IT, Engineering, etc?

For example, the oil and gas engineering industry is booming right now. Others are much quieter.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Go for it, it's brilliant and if its not - go back perm, simples.....
    That is my plan. To a T.

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    As Luke says... but I'd temper that with whether you would be able to get a similar permie role easily if you left.

I jumped head first into contracting a little over 10 years ago, leaving a 60k base/85k package permie role and actually took a minor pay cut overall at first. Now at 38 I could retire if I wished. It wouldn't be a great standard of living, but better than many and certainly enough to keep food on the table.

I did it because I believed in my ability and knew I could go back if it went wrong.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Go for it, it's brilliant and if its not - go back perm, simples.....

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    If i stay where I am I get good pay (currently £60k p/a) and a generous final salary pension. But it feels the 'safe' choice.

Safe is good, I have a family and dependencies.
    I made the reverse choice recently - moved to a 'safe' permie job with a good pension plan and slowly winding down some of my contract work.
    Money wise I was able to earn more on contract but it was harder.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    "Commutable" is a bit of a variable. Fine if you're in the London corner, where 70% of all contracts are to be found and you have a transport system that works. Not so fine if you prefer life in somewhere like Somerset...

That said, I'm at the point where I'm taking nothing that needs more than hour to get to, and preferably a lot less.
    I'm down Somerset way.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    "Commutable" is a bit of a variable. Fine if you're in the London corner, where 70% of all contracts are to be found and you have a transport system that works. Not so fine if you prefer life in somewhere like Somerset...

That said, I'm at the point where I'm taking nothing that needs more than hour to get to, and preferably a lot less.

Leave a comment:

• SuPaStA
    replied
    I'm still a "newbie" in contracting terms, been doing it for three years now. Only had one contract which was barely "commutable" for 3 months and all my other contracts have been max 1hr30mins door 2 door since then. Though I guess it all depends where you are based (I'm in London).

Also I have not been a day without work, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    I've been contracting for over 13 years. I did have one 3 month contract where I could commute every day (1 hour 40mins on the train) a few years ago, but apart from that I've always had to work away from home.

But because of that I've rarely been out of contract.
    I've been contracting 10 years and never once had to work away from home. All my contracts have been within commuting distance (1h15m being the longest).

And becuase of that I've never been out of contract.

I guess what I'm saying here is that it's swings and roundabouts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X