• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green grass (the life of a contractor?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green grass (the life of a contractor?)

Here's the deal. With a bunch of qualifications industry experience I think I am ready for the contact world.

If i stay where I am I get good pay (currently £60k p/a) and a generous final salary pension. But it feels the 'safe' choice.

Safe is good, I have a family and dependencies.

Am I mad to even think about leaving this sweet setup.

Anyone else go through this, any advice you can pass on.

Thanks. PG
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 21 March 2014, 15:22.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Am I mad to even think about leaving this sweet setup.
    At the moment, yes you would be mad to leave. The market is really tough and I wouldn't recommend it. There are hardened contractors on the bench for months or taking permie jobs.

In the medium term, I say yes go for it but only if you can cover 6 months worth of living expenses out of your savings and you get a contract of at least £500/day. Otherwise sit tight and wait till the market improves.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Here's the deal. With a bunch of qualifications including a doctorate and 12 years industry experience I think I am ready for the contact world.

If i stay where I am I get good pay (currently £60k p/a) and a generous final salary pension. But it feels the 'safe' choice.

Safe is good, I have a family and dependencies.

Am I mad to even think about leaving this sweet setup. I'm 35 and I feel like I have to decide the rest of my career right now!

Anyone else go through this, any advice you can pass on.

Thanks. PG
      Interesting that you don't say why you're considering contracting; any specific reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        At the moment, yes you would be mad to leave. The market is really tough and I wouldn't recommend it. There are hardened contractors on the bench for months or taking permie jobs.

In the medium term, I say yes go for it but only if you can cover 6 months worth of living expenses out of your savings and you get a contract of at least £500/day. Otherwise sit tight and wait till the market improves.
        Totally this.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

A bit of a sweeping statement, if you look at IT contracting as a whole then you may well be right but it depends on your area(s) of expertise. I know some very busy contractors

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorsSpouse View Post
            A bit of a sweeping statement, if you look at IT contracting as a whole then you may well be right but it depends on your area(s) of expertise. I know some very busy contractors
            To be fair you have to give people the wose scenario especially when they are starting out.

This makes people understand that when they are in a contract they have to save money for the bad times. These bad times may come in a year or 12 years later, and they may not just be due to work.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Contracting is not that good at the moment. I think it´s only worth it if you can find contracts fairly close to home, with occasional travel to fill in gaps. No point in working away long term.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 July 2013, 21:52.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Its very variable at the mo - there are people struggling, and then RBS are giving out 1 year contracts (just got one) because they arent getting the people they need. Depends on skills and locations.
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorsSpouse View Post
                  And we have a plethora of people on here that have had to go permie with an empty war chest or are still struggling. Is that risk worth giving that job up for? Not in my book I am afraid.

Unfortunately, as is often the case, we are being asked our opinions with absolutely zero facts to go on so sweeping statements is all we can give.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Contracting is not that good at the moment. I think it´s only worth it if you can find contracts fairly close to home, with occasional travel to fill in gaps. No point in working away long term.
                    I've met contractors whose entire careers consist of working away from home. In some of their cases it's probably they are still married and in the others it explains why they aren't.

Remember contractors like people aren't the same.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X