• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the latest: Working in Germany 2012"

Collapse

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I can't think of a decent sized western European country where this is not the case.

Even in "low" tax Switzerland they ensure contractors/freelancers pay their tax.
    You got that right there is no escape here, as a foreign worker you're subject to withholding tax at source whereas the locals submit a tax return. I was told I could submit a tax return to see if I could claim back certain expenses but overall I was advised against it as 90% end up paying more to the taxman here.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Wikipedia tells you the meaning. UD tells you how people use it, even if they're wrong.

</pedant with head up arse>
    Lets do Hot Lunch and discuss it?

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But Urban Dictionary which is the root of all says...
    Wikipedia tells you the meaning. UD tells you how people use it, even if they're wrong.

</pedant with head up arse>

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    </pedant>
    But Urban Dictionary which is the root of all says...

Kahuna's - testicle's, balls, nuts, guts

I don't have the Kahuna's to try that stunt.
    Did you see him do that 1/2 gainer from 40' ? Wish I had the Kahuna's to try that!

Leave a comment:

• gibbsville
    replied
    Lots of clever peeps on here i cannot compete...way too intelligent for me ..to the OP take a look at the previous threads on tax and Germany and make your own choice but do try and be as correct as possible with your spelling and grammar or you will be told off by the uber intelligent peeps who check these boards on a regular basis for spelling and grammar ..

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by gibbsville View Post
    it will be your kahunas on the line if it goes sourkraut up ..
    Kahuna is a Hawaiian word, defined in the Pukui & Elbert (1986) as a "priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession".
    Cojones (Spanish pronunciation: [koˈxones]) is a vulgar Spanish word for testicles.
    </pedant>

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    What is the latest: Working in Germany 2012

If you can't keep up get yourself up to scratch on reading at a slightly quicker speed and don't get too hung up on the punctuation it makes you out as a bit pedantic which I am sure your not
    And your posts make you appear a bit illiterate.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you can't keep up get yourself up to scratch on reading at a slightly quicker speed and don't get too hung up on the punctuation it makes you out as a bit pedantic which I am sure your not
    You have written an incoherent xenophobic rant.

If you wanted other posters to think your rant has some valid points you should put some punctuation in it.

Oh and BTW I was told about these schemes when I first started contacting years ago because my first contract was abroad. A quick look at that country's tax laws and I knew I wouldn't get away with it.

Any country that requires you to register means it's harder for you disappear even if you don't register.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Don't get personal it only makes you look silly
    Your ranting makes you look silly.

Lots of posters on this thread have taken the time to point out to you that if you try to play around with some countries' tax regulations then their taxmen will chase you regardless.

Leave a comment:

• gibbsville
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gibbsville
    replied
    Don't get personal it only makes you look silly

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Your missing the point I am not saying people shouldn't pay tax it's the assumption that all monies that are paid belongs to them it's a control mechanism Germany has struggled with for a very long time even pre NSDAP a fact of life there that even pees off the natives and they don't like Johnny Foreigner coming in and doing things that they do not agree with they want every contractor coming in and paying the full permie type whack that way they have full control and insight to the exact cent every Johnny Foreigner is pulling in agree or disagree with me but that is their mentality and it ain't gonna change anytime soon
    Have you ever heard of the concept of a full stop? What you have written above is an unintelligible, unreadable rant.

What's worse is we're on page 2 and I'm still at a loss as to what you did, what they are doing now and exactly what you are complaining about.

Leave a comment:

• gibbsville
    replied
    Your missing the point I am not saying people shouldn't pay tax it's the assumption that all monies that are paid belongs to them it's a control mechanism Germany has struggled with for a very long time even pre NSDAP a fact of life there that even pees off the natives and they don't like Johnny Foreigner coming in and doing things that they do not agree with they want every contractor coming in and paying the full permie type whack that way they have full control and insight to the exact cent every Johnny Foreigner is pulling in agree or disagree with me but that is their mentality and it ain't gonna change anytime soon

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I can't think of a decent sized western European country where this is not the case.

Even in "low" tax Switzerland they ensure contractors/freelancers pay their tax.
    I think the problem is the common one across all countries. If you annoy tax collectors they'll go out of their way to ensure you pay everything they think you owe them regardless of whether you actually owe it or not.

i've always thought the best advice for contractors is don't try and be clever when it comes to tax and nothing in the last few years has changed that opinion.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    When you work in a country which thinks that all money you earn there actually belongs to the taxman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X