• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Non-solicitation of Client clause."

Collapse

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    The majority of contracts will include the individual contractor's name somewhere and it's not necessarily a problem.

Obviously the agreement must be between the two companies only - we do occasionally see contracts which include the individual as well as his company, which is clearly not good. You should also only sign on behalf of your company and not as an individual.

If you are simply named in the schedule I wouldn't consider this a failing point as long as there was a right of substitution in the contract. Ideally you should be referred to as the 'Initial Representative' or similar.

Leave a comment:

• minstrel
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Agreed and of course you are correct but I would argue if someone has a contract that names them they won't have had it checked by QDOS and the like who would have picked up on this so other clauses such as MoO or RoS will be incorrect or missing. Maybe a bad assumption on my part there but still doesn't bode well.
    I always get my contracts reviewed (Bauer & Cottrell not QDOS). My name has always been in the contract somewhere and it has always come back from review as an IR35 pass.

Does everyone else here get their individual names removed from the contract?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't believe a contract simply naming the person is an automatic IR35 fail. Especially if you have a RoS clause.
    Agreed and of course you are correct but I would argue if someone has a contract that names them they won't have had it checked by QDOS and the like who would have picked up on this so other clauses such as MoO or RoS will be incorrect or missing. Maybe a bad assumption on my part there but still doesn't bode well.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by minstrel View Post
    I helped a friend in a similar situation. Agency basically withheld payment for last few invoices and said they were keeping the money due to breach of contract. They sent a few "scary" letters via solicitor. We sent one back outlining our case and invoking late payments charges for the overdue invoices and they paid in full (with late payment charges) a couple of days later.
    Minstrel, I would be interested to know the agency as I had a similar experience.

OP - para 99.1 mentions similar services but you said it is a completely different job. Either way, looks more like agency and client needing a chat. Usually resolved amicably.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If the role is permanent then you aren't providing services but are an employee. This is a completely different relationship.

This means:
    1. The agency has a right to charge the fee mentioned in the contract between the client and the agency for procuring permanent staff from the client.
    2. You pay nothing. Agencies cannot charge permanent employees money for finding them work.
    3. You need to check your IR35 status otherwise you need to pay back tax on your company's earnings.
    I think SE is right. There's a bit in the contract which mentions the client will have to pay 20% of your first years salary to the agency.
    Not your problem.

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't believe a contract simply naming the person is an automatic IR35 fail. Especially if you have a RoS clause.
    I believe you're right in that it is not an automatic fail. For something similar, I was advised by Qdos to remove such personal naming because of course because it is my LtdCo that should be agreeing actual working arrangements with the client, not me personally. They only used the word "recommend" when advising me me to look at changing that clause...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    99.1 Throughout the Assignment Term and for a period of 6 months afterwards the Contractor will not and will procure
    that the Personnel will not, other than with the written consent of AGENCY X, provide services similar to
    the Services or any information technology related services in any capacity either directly or indirectly to:
    The contractor is the contractor's ltd co. After dissolution that no longer exists. When a company doesn't exist, it doesn't have any personnel.

99.4 I can't see standing up. Agency X hasn't, in fact, suffered any loss by you taking the permanent job with this customer of their client.

Take the job, and do what Minstrel says if there's a problem getting payment. Even if they try "breach of contract", they cannot withhold payment. In my view it's highly unlikely there will be any comeback on you. Most agencies aren't that stupid - they may threaten and bluster, but in the end, they won't do anything.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    EDIT: didn't spot the line about your contract naming you by name? That means that disolving definately won't work and also you are probably screwed for IR35 as well. Did you not get it checked by QDOS or the like?

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    But if Contractor is the WibbleCo Ltd and Wibbleman is no longer a Director or employee there is very little that WibbleCo can do to stop Wibbleman going direct.
    They can actually, there was a case of a car dealership where the worker did just that and lost.

I helped a friend in a similar situation. Agency basically withheld payment for last few invoices and said they were keeping the money due to breach of contract. They sent a few "scary" letters via solicitor. We sent one back outlining our case and invoking late payments charges for the overdue invoices and they paid in full (with late payment charges) a couple of days later.
    Yeah, I agree with that. To my mind most of them are overly restrictive and wouldn't stand up in court so I'd call their bluff too.

As others ask, your opt out status is important. If you didn't opt out properly then this restriction may not be valid.

I would be inclined to take the new job and say nothing to the agency. If they want to start a fight about it then I'd see them in court and argue "restraint of trade". I doubt that they would take it that far though because losing a case would seriously mess up their business model.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If the role is permanent then you aren't providing services but are an employee. This is a completely different relationship.

This means:
    1. The agency has a right to charge the fee mentioned in the contract between the client and the agency for procuring permanent staff from the client.
    2. You pay nothing. Agencies cannot charge permanent employees money for finding them work.
    3. You need to check your IR35 status otherwise you need to pay back tax on your company's earnings.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 19 October 2012, 14:34.

Leave a comment:

• minstrel
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    "99.1 Throughout the Assignment Term and for a period of 6 months afterwards the Contractor will not and will procure
    that the Personnel will not, other than with the written consent of AGENCY X, provide services similar to
    the Services or any information technology related services in any capacity either directly or indirectly to:"

And the Contractor is responsible for and financially liable for the actions of the 'personnel' which is probably you at a guess.
    But if Contractor is the WibbleCo Ltd and Wibbleman is no longer a Director or employee there is very little that WibbleCo can do to stop Wibbleman going direct.

A couple of questions:

1. Are you opted out of the Agency Regulations?

2. Will you be terminating your contract early to move positions or will you be doing it at natural termination point of contract?

Leave a comment:

• wibbleman
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    "99.1 Throughout the Assignment Term and for a period of 6 months afterwards the Contractor will not and will procure
    the Services or any information technology related services in any capacity either directly or indirectly to:"

And the Contractor is responsible for and financially liable for the actions of the 'personnel' which is probably you at a guess.
    Seems fairly water tight then...

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by wibbleman View Post
    I've just found this - the "contractor" is the ltd company...

Contractor The limited company referred to in the Assignment Schedule who will perform the Services for the Client.

Leave a comment:

• wibbleman
    replied
    Check the Opt in/out thread at the top of this forum as well. Your status may or may not affect the lenght of time for the restraint of trade.
    I believe dissolving the company will not work for various reasons and means they can still take legal action against you. Whether they actually will is a different issue. Do they have the stomach for a legal fight?

EDIT: didn't spot the line about your contract naming you by name? That means that disolving definately won't work and also you are probably screwed for IR35 as well. Did you not get it checked by QDOS or the like?

I've just found this - the "contractor" is the ltd company...

Contractor The limited company referred to in the Assignment Schedule who will perform the Services for the Client.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Check the Opt in/out thread at the top of this forum as well. Your status may or may not affect the lenght of time for the restraint of trade.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X