• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2 contracts dilemma"

Collapse

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Did you read this thread which is currently being discussed?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...er-work-5.html
    Which makes me think this is a sockie!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Before considering sending a substitute can you confirm you have a sub clause?
    Can you also confirm a MOO clause?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Did you read this thread which is currently being discussed?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...er-work-5.html

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

tbh I don't know why people have this dilemma. OK the second contract may be better money or closer but you factored in all the +ve/-ves before you signed the original contract so it must have been viable.

If the second contract had not materialised and on your first morning at the new contract the client said 'p off we found a cheaper contractor' you would likely be here asking if you could sue them.

OK if the second contract is double the rate of the first then it might be worth considering but otherwise, I think I would just accept the fact that the second contract was not meant to be and get on with it.

Leave a comment:

• dmo
    replied
    Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
    damn. So the best thing to would be to go there on Monday and explain that I cant work for them for whatever reason?

Substitute as in someone else but me?
    Correct, but make sure they know / understand why. Tbh, I'd see if I could end it on good terms with them, i.e. agree a sooner end date on the new contract and postpone contract 2 so that you start once you've finished contract 1. Agree with fckvwls basically,

Leave a comment:

• ba55meister
    replied
    damn. So the best thing to would be to go there on Monday and explain that I cant work for them for whatever reason?

Substitute as in someone else but me?

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You're contract states that you can't give notice. Unless the end client is forgiving they can sue you for breach of contract.
    For losses.

Substitute is the answer.

And of course the end client would sue the agency and the agency sue the OP's Ltd.
    Last edited by speling bee; 23 September 2012, 18:18.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    why am i screwed?
    You're contract states that you can't give notice. Unless the end client is forgiving they can sue you for breach of contract.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    why am i screwed?
    You do not appear to have the right to give notice.

You could send a sub on your first day
    That should make them terminate.

Leave a comment:

• ba55meister
    replied
    why am i screwed?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    it's this.

Client Notice Period
    immediate notice within the first seven calendar days of the Start Date and thereafter, 7 calendar days notice;
    Service Provider Notice Period
    no entitlement to give notice;

and also

1.1 This Agreement shall automatically expire at close of business on the End Date and may be terminated prior to the End Date:
    1.1.1.1 the corresponding agreement between G2 and the Client fails to commence for whatever reason;

I'll obviously email and explain nicely.
    I would email and hope because it seems that unless the client is nice and helps you out you're screwed.

Leave a comment:

• ba55meister
    replied
    it's this.

Client Notice Period
    immediate notice within the first seven calendar days of the Start Date and thereafter, 7 calendar days notice;
    Service Provider Notice Period
    no entitlement to give notice;

and also

1.1 This Agreement shall automatically expire at close of business on the End Date and may be terminated prior to the End Date:
    1.1.1.1 the corresponding agreement between G2 and the Client fails to commence for whatever reason;

I'll obviously email and explain nicely.

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    What's the notice period on contract 1?

Can you negotiate a later start to contract 2?

Not bothering to turn up on Monday doesn't strike me as particularly professional and you'd be breaking the terms of a contract you've signed.

Leave a comment:

• ba55meister
    started a topic 2 contracts dilemma

2 contracts dilemma

I signed a contract for a new gig on friday and now I have a much better offer with another agency. The agent is preparing the contract as I type this. I'm not sure how can I get out of the one I already signed? Shall I just email them about is and not turn up for work on Monday?

Working...
X