• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 contracts dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 contracts dilemma

I signed a contract for a new gig on friday and now I have a much better offer with another agency. The agent is preparing the contract as I type this. I'm not sure how can I get out of the one I already signed? Shall I just email them about is and not turn up for work on Monday?

What's the notice period on contract 1?

Can you negotiate a later start to contract 2?

Not bothering to turn up on Monday doesn't strike me as particularly professional and you'd be breaking the terms of a contract you've signed.

Comment

it's this.

Client Notice Period
      immediate notice within the first seven calendar days of the Start Date and thereafter, 7 calendar days notice;
      Service Provider Notice Period
      no entitlement to give notice;

and also

1.1 This Agreement shall automatically expire at close of business on the End Date and may be terminated prior to the End Date:
      1.1.1.1 the corresponding agreement between G2 and the Client fails to commence for whatever reason;

I'll obviously email and explain nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
        it's this.

Client Notice Period
        immediate notice within the first seven calendar days of the Start Date and thereafter, 7 calendar days notice;
        Service Provider Notice Period
        no entitlement to give notice;

and also

1.1 This Agreement shall automatically expire at close of business on the End Date and may be terminated prior to the End Date:
        1.1.1.1 the corresponding agreement between G2 and the Client fails to commence for whatever reason;

I'll obviously email and explain nicely.
        I would email and hope because it seems that unless the client is nice and helps you out you're screwed.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

why am i screwed?

Comment

why am i screwed?
            You do not appear to have the right to give notice.

You could send a sub on your first day
            That should make them terminate.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

why am i screwed?
              You're contract states that you can't give notice. Unless the end client is forgiving they can sue you for breach of contract.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                You're contract states that you can't give notice. Unless the end client is forgiving they can sue you for breach of contract.
                For losses.

Substitute is the answer.

And of course the end client would sue the agency and the agency sue the OP's Ltd.
                Last edited by speling bee; 23 September 2012, 18:18.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

damn. So the best thing to would be to go there on Monday and explain that I cant work for them for whatever reason?

Substitute as in someone else but me?

Comment

damn. So the best thing to would be to go there on Monday and explain that I cant work for them for whatever reason?

Substitute as in someone else but me?
                    Correct, but make sure they know / understand why. Tbh, I'd see if I could end it on good terms with them, i.e. agree a sooner end date on the new contract and postpone contract 2 so that you start once you've finished contract 1. Agree with fckvwls basically,

Comment

Working...
                    X