• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Is CCNP enough?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is CCNP enough?"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    4 months is not long, especially as you'll be completely new to contracting. I would apply for both contracts and permie jobs. It is a difficult market at the moment and you will probably find it difficult to find a contract straight away with a perfect match. No harm in trying. You can check jobserve for comtracts, and you will know if it's suitable because you'll feel you're perfect for the role, if not go for permie jobs.

Leave a comment:

• Mammoth
    replied
    Thanks again for all the information posted. I think I will apply for both job types and I will see what happens. If I get a perm position I can use that experience to give contracting a go later down the line.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
    Scoobos,

Thanks for your reply.

In order to gain the relevant experience is it possible to start contracting at the CCNA level then hopefully progress towards CCNP? At least this way I can start to make the right connections and hopefully demonstrate my worth.
    I think its possible to start anywhere, but you need the roles to be there.

All I can really add to my previous post , is be confident - don't let doubts get the better of you - apply for perm or contract and jump in - see how you do.

Given that you (will) be ex-forces I think its only going to put you in good stead for the MoD type roles that seem abundant , despite the recession.

As others have said, keep your SC current. I'm ever frustrated by my inability to get it , despite having a military background and working with top security clients (not MoD)
    Last edited by Scoobos; 23 April 2012, 17:03.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    My brother came out of the army after 22 years with a set of qualifications in fork lift truck instruction and security (setting up CCTV and so on). Once he was on civvy street he found that these qualifications were not recognised and he was unable to enter those inductries :-( Although he has recently done some courses to allow him to work as anti pirate security on British ships which promises a fair amount of money.

My advice is to make absolutely sure that the quals you have are civvy recognised and then see how the market is. You might walk into a contract or there might be nothing. What are you are talking about is possible but you need to do a bit of reccon to find out whether it is likely.

Lastly, thank you for your service.

Leave a comment:

• Normie
    replied
    I am currently a Corporal in the R Signals age 26. I have been recommended for Sgt for the last few years but still unable to take up a senior role. I have however been in charge of small teams in a military role on Operations and in barracks, but never on a big technical project.

I can ensure my references will be of a high standard, as I am well respected and an important member of my unit.

I am SC Cleared and it will be valid for 12 months from my discharge. I would be willing to work anywhere in the country for at least the first year. Financially, I can probably last 4 months without a contract is this enough time?
    My advice - stay on the SC/DV gravy train, these roles are not getting outsourced any time soon. Set up a search on jobserve for SC cleared contracts - usually about 50 or so match my filter each day.

Are you down in MOD Corsham?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    There's load of CV help here:IT Contractor CV Writing: Advice and Guides for UK Contractors with specific layout help here http://www.contractoruk.com/cv/cv_wr..._template.html

Ignore the advice on 2 page CVs although I wouldn't have a CV longer than 4 pages.

Leave a comment:

• Mammoth
    replied
    Scoobos,

Thanks for your reply.

In order to gain the relevant experience is it possible to start contracting at the CCNA level then hopefully progress towards CCNP? At least this way I can start to make the right connections and hopefully demonstrate my worth.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Hi

I am currently a serving soldier and I am just about to sign off and give contracting a go. Before I make the leap, I am looking for a little reassurance that I will be able to be employed. I need to earn at least £40000 a year from contracting.

I have the following Qualifications

CCNP
    HND Telecommunications
    CCNA Voice
    CCNA Security

This has been all self taught in a home lab environment. I have around 8 years experience in telecommunications, dealing with Promina and Sat Comms.

Your comments will be of great help.

Thanks

I think your skills are wanted - but usually complemented with others.

My advice, for what its worth - is just apply mate - go for Permanent and Contract and see what develops.

I think you'll struggle for contract with no past experience as such, but there's certainly an element of who you know - and who knows, chance your arm you've got nothing to lose.
    Last edited by realityhack; 23 April 2012, 18:25. Reason: Name again

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Do you want £40k before or after tax? Surely there are permie jobs around for that much (pre-tax)?

The jury would probably be out on whether it would look good on your CV to go perm for a couple years and then go contracting. Certainly from a standing start if you have little or no savings contracting can be quite risky.

It still makes sense to me to start a ltd, get it all ready and then start looking for contracts. If you end up going perm for a bit you can always close or make the company dormant, no biggie. Better to aim high I reckon.

Also, are you <mod snip>
    Last edited by realityhack; 23 April 2012, 18:22. Reason: Removing the name.

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    I'm ex REME, and have been contracting for 6 years. If Admin allows, I'll PM you some contact detail, and let you know how I went about starting off.

@Admin - Am I allowed to PM this guy?

Leave a comment:

• Mammoth
    replied
    I am currently a Corporal in the R Signals age 26. I have been recommended for Sgt for the last few years but still unable to take up a senior role. I have however been in charge of small teams in a military role on Operations and in barracks, but never on a big technical project.

I can ensure my references will be of a high standard, as I am well respected and an important member of my unit.

I am SC Cleared and it will be valid for 12 months from my discharge. I would be willing to work anywhere in the country for at least the first year. Financially, I can probably last 4 months without a contract is this enough time?

Many thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That's somewhat more friendly than the usual "read the first timers guides"

Of course, the OP's access to an array of advanced weaponry is merely coincidental
    Or the fact he wears a uniform but don't tell NorthernladyUK I said that!!!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    There are some SC / DV groups on Linked In which might be worth joining as well - get yourself a profile on their and explain what you do at the moment.

Also, I'd be wary of using your real name as a user name on here - once you get the feel of the place, you don't want potential employers / clients finding some of the stuff you might end up writing One poster I can think of nearly lost their job over some of the stuff they wrote on here, and he wasn't using his real name - it was just obvious who it was. (A PM to administrator will get it changed for you if you want to change it)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Stuff
    That's somewhat more friendly than the usual "read the first timers guides"

Of course, the OP's access to an array of advanced weaponry is merely coincidental

Leave a comment:

• Mammoth
    replied
    Thanks Northern Lad.

I will read up on the advice given.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X