• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is CCNP enough?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is CCNP enough?

Hi

I am currently a serving soldier and I am just about to sign off and give contracting a go. Before I make the leap, I am looking for a little reassurance that I will be able to be employed. I need to earn at least £40000 a year from contracting.

I have the following Qualifications

CCNP
    HND Telecommunications
    CCNA Voice
    CCNA Security

This has been all self taught in a home lab environment. I have around 8 years experience in telecommunications, dealing with Promina and Sat Comms.

Your comments will be of great help.

Thanks

Hi Mammoth,

Moved to a pro forum. Good luck on your return to civvy street, hope it goes well for you.

Comment

Firstly, if you are looking at contracting make sure you are aware of what it is. You mentioned being employed. You are not employed as a contractor in the way you are thinking. You need to get your head around the whole set up for reasons mentioned below. Newbie guides are to the right and will help you understand your situation and not make any faux pas in front of agent and client.

I don't know your skill set but I would take a guess your experience will be pretty niche? It is very difficult for new contractors at the moment. You are not attractive as you do not have contracting experience so puts you a few places behind the guys with 10 years. If you are niche however you could be a very desirable resource, particularly when coupled with your SC clearance (assumed!!)

You need to camp on jobserve for a couple of days or on securityclearedjobs.com and see if there is anything in your skill set. If there is make sure your CV fits perfectly. Agents don't know squat and will do nothing but match up your skills to the requriements. If they don't fit he won't understand. Contracting doesn't fit 'jack of all trades' or good person but needs some training. You have to fit the role like a glove.

You can indeed earn £40k contracting, that bit isn't the problem. The bit that is will be how long can you go without a contract at the moment.

Unfortunately the qualifications won't be your main selling point unless you can demonstrate experience, mainly due to how the agent will sort you and also the clients are looking to you as an expert that can bring experience and knowledge. You could try and demonstrate the experience from your home lab but will be difficult to get past an experience client.

Get your CV tailored to suit the work you find on the job boards and get applying like mad. You are going to get no response for quite a few roles. Have a look at the Need 2 references thread for a very quick heads up of the dirty tricks agents play as well.

Not knowing if your niche or anything I wouldn't rule out permie roles at this point. A year or so getting good solid experience will pay dividends in the future when you can go from good rate contract to good rate contract.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know a guy who was senior in signals; walked into a six-figure permie job. The point is that many army skills are transferable - and in demand - in the commerical world. And not just the ability to pick off your enemies at 50 paces... though boardroom scuffles can get quite vicious.

What rank do you currently hold? What responsibilities do you have? These things can translate quite well - not just the techie stuff.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          <snip>
          Firstly, what NLUK said. Also there is a Security Jobs Expo in Bristol in a couple of weeks time. It's desgined for people with SC / DV clearance. I would arm yourself with your CV and go to it, if you can.

Being from the military, you will be marketable, as you have a certain mental discipline, unless your referees tells a potential client / employer differently.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks Northern Lad.

I will read up on the advice given.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Stuff
              That's somewhat more friendly than the usual "read the first timers guides"

Of course, the OP's access to an array of advanced weaponry is merely coincidental
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There are some SC / DV groups on Linked In which might be worth joining as well - get yourself a profile on their and explain what you do at the moment.

Also, I'd be wary of using your real name as a user name on here - once you get the feel of the place, you don't want potential employers / clients finding some of the stuff you might end up writing One poster I can think of nearly lost their job over some of the stuff they wrote on here, and he wasn't using his real name - it was just obvious who it was. (A PM to administrator will get it changed for you if you want to change it)
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  That's somewhat more friendly than the usual "read the first timers guides"

Of course, the OP's access to an array of advanced weaponry is merely coincidental
                  Or the fact he wears a uniform but don't tell NorthernladyUK I said that!!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am currently a Corporal in the R Signals age 26. I have been recommended for Sgt for the last few years but still unable to take up a senior role. I have however been in charge of small teams in a military role on Operations and in barracks, but never on a big technical project.

I can ensure my references will be of a high standard, as I am well respected and an important member of my unit.

I am SC Cleared and it will be valid for 12 months from my discharge. I would be willing to work anywhere in the country for at least the first year. Financially, I can probably last 4 months without a contract is this enough time?

Many thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                    X