• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What % of your work is driven through agencies?"

Collapse

• Joe90
    replied
    100% for me. I've been contracting since I left university at the end of may 2010 on several projects with the same client through 1 agency.

Almost at the point of going Ltd but it's a bit daunting & no idea where I might find extra work by myself let alone figuring out all I need to do to go Ltd!

Leave a comment:

• roger55
    replied
    I couldnt survive without agencies I dont think..Id say about 85% of my contracts

If there is ever going to be a payment dispute, it is 90% of the time because I worked direct, with me anyway..As slimy as agencies are I feel safer with a third party in between

Although they do sometimes lie about putting you forward to positions when they find someone cheaper instead, and some companies really do hate paying agencies, so maybe u could figure out a method

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Back in 2007 to 2008 I went direct a lot. I did a massive number of short term engagements an average of a different client every week (This was when I was presenting SOA, OOAD, Solution Architection, Software Architecture, etc training courses).

I also had a few training companies where I was an "associate" and a few consultancy companies with the same agreement, I even did contract pre-sales for them.

It was fun, it was profitable, it was a lot of work keeping my diary full with consultancy, training and presales engagements. After that I took a 1 year contract with a bank with offices in Bootle. A lot less stress, a lot less work, and much easier on the accounts and record keeping.

I keep thinking of going back to my old way and taking on some subcontractors or even employees, but I would rather have a product, it is very hard to keep going with lots of short term but very high paying engagements. The average consultancy company targets making a 10% margin.

So, I would say in numbers about 1% of my engagements have been through agencies but in revenue about 50% (I went permy for a while when I got an offer I could not refuse - contract rates for a permy job)

Leave a comment:

• kempc23
    replied
    Ive been contracting for just over a year. Three contracts so far, one for 10 months, one for three months, and just started another one. The current one was direct, the second one was with a consulting firm (but no agent), the first one was through an agent.

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Vandalay View Post
    That's awesome. How did the brochure campaign go? I did a direct mail campaign last year but had a very poor response. Referrals are the coin of my realm.

What's the BCS?
    It went well given that these were companies I'd never spoken to before, 12% response rate with 7% conversion to an onsite meeting. I'm expecting an even better response in April when my next campaign goes out as the restrictive covenant from my previous job expires, lets just say it will be a targeted campaign As contractoralan said BCS is British Computer Society, they regularly hold networking events so it's well worth becoming a member but don't ignore local business groups as you can pick up some great customers from those and they all add to your referral DB. Linkedin is also useful as long as you make yourself known by posting in relevant groups.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    5 contracts in 5 years (with 15mths as a permie in the middle).

4 through agents, 1 (current) direct and turned down 1 direct as it didnt suit.

Agree that Linkedin is starting to work for me...

Leave a comment:

• contractoralan
    replied
    What's the BCS?
    BCS - The Chartered Institute for IT

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
    0%, started off with the intention of contracting however after talking to agents for a couple of weeks realised I was echoing my old job. Que 200 e-brochures sent out, a few referrals from a good mate, networking via BCS and other local groups and the work is coming in slowly but surely.
    That's awesome. How did the brochure campaign go? I did a direct mail campaign last year but had a very poor response. Referrals are the coin of my realm.

What's the BCS?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I latest contract I got through networking, but the client wants to payroll me through the agent. I look forward to signing their opt-out document

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied
    0%, started off with the intention of contracting however after talking to agents for a couple of weeks realised I was echoing my old job. Que 200 e-brochures sent out, a few referrals from a good mate, networking via BCS and other local groups and the work is coming in slowly but surely.

Leave a comment:

• Bexter
    replied
    I have a book called 'the consulting bible' by Alan Weiss. It has been quite an eye opener in terms of getting new leads and pricing jobs. Highly recommended.
    Does it have a forward by NLUK and a chapter devoted to figuring out whether you are cut out to be a contractor?

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Been contracting for two years now.

In that time I've had three '9-5 clients', i.e. clients where broadly speaking they need me in the office most of the time. These have all been via agents.

I've also had three clients getting me to do various bits of work for them - these have been the most lucrative. One was my first client some months after I left, one was a company who found me through LinkedIn, and the third was a recommendation from the software vendor of an LMS I implemented. They recommended me to a new customer of theirs.

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    I would love to go direct but is that because I'm looking at the grass is always greener side, ie - more money, less hassle, etc?

I've tried going direct with a well known online company, as they wanted to interview me through a pimp. Sent my CV a few months later but they never bothered to reply. Send it again a few more months later via a different pimp who came back and said (in as so many words) "You bounder! You tried to go direct! We don't like it when you cash cows try to do that, it's not nice. Good day."

qh
    Wow. I've not experienced that. One way I have secured my current contract is affiliating myself through a local consultancy where I have complimentary skills to their services, just come on board for a short stint of their projects to cover off where they have a skills gap.

I'm sure the grass isn't always greener. For example, pricing is more challenging. I have priced a few of my jobs all in, rather than a day rate. As a developer that works both ways, and work can drag on longer than forecast.

I have a book called 'the consulting bible' by Alan Weiss. It has been quite an eye opener in terms of getting new leads and pricing jobs. Highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I would love to go direct but is that because I'm looking at the grass is always greener side, ie - more money, less hassle, etc?

I've tried going direct with a well known online company, as they wanted to interview me through a pimp. Sent my CV a few months later but they never bothered to reply. Send it again a few more months later via a different pimp who came back and said (in as so many words) "You bounder! You tried to go direct! We don't like it when you cash cows try to do that, it's not nice. Good day."

qh

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Originally posted by FRS View Post
    I'm on my second direct client, I've had 6 clients over the last 4 years so not too bad a ratio. I much prefer being direct and I'm going to make the effort to go direct on all contracts from now on. There are some really good agencies out there and I'll probably continue to use them, but unfortunately they are a lot of crap ones too, so I'm reluctant to try new ones when I know I can find my own work.
    Awesome. Yes I prefer the direct relationship too, and have much more leverage over pricing etc. Agree on agencies. I still get a fair few calls for roles but usually don't follow up. From interest where are you based? I'm up in Edinburgh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X