• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What % of your work is driven through agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What % of your work is driven through agencies?

I started contracting through agencies some 7 years ago, but last year I decided to move away from using agencies (for various reasons) and to go it 'alone', as a true freelancer.

It has been an interesting experience to say the least, I've had 5-6 clients in 8 months earned about 1.5x what I would have on my old day rate so far.

Who else here does this kind of thing, and if so how do you go about marketing, getting new leads etc?

66%

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
      66%
      So how do you source your direct work? Networking? Marketing? Referrals?

Comment

Sorry i'm not actually much help to your survey. I've had 3 contracts in my short career, but one was through a former colleage.

I just felt like answering the question.

Comment

1 direct contract (current one) and 3 agency based ones so 75% for me.
          Also intrigued as to how you're drumming up the business
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
            1 direct contract (current one) and 3 agency based ones so 75% for me.
            Also intrigued as to how you're drumming up the business
            Mine have all been with agencies, but I'd be interested in this too. I am keen to approach some companies I'd like to work for directly, but I'm just not sure if this is the done thing.

If I do decide to contact them, what is the best way - directly to the hiring manager I'd like to work for, or should I still go through HR?

Don't know if anyone knows the answer to these questions, but I'd be interested to hear thoughts too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vandalay View Post
              It has been an interesting experience to say the least, I've had 5-6 clients in 8 months earned about 1.5x what I would have on my old day rate so far.
              It would really help if we knew what you did? 5-6 clients in 8 months is not a model that would fit Project Management/Service or any other large project related skills. I think a lot of people reading this thread will be thinking of their 3-6 month contracts and going direct which I expect is very different to your situation? Could you expand for a bit of clarity else we are going to be comparing apples with pears.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I like to think I do world class Wintel architecture and support stuff, and only in the past year (after 6 years contracting worldwide) have I worked directly with a previous client, for a single data centre move gig.

For my line of work, I reckon the Agents and the big HR departments have it all sewn up , with approved suppliers etc.

I've had client contacts who express a wish to directly engage me, but find their co policy does not allow it unless its agency X, approved supplier.

I've also had agency X's fail to submit me for jobs I know are for the client, and the client wants me to apply! ......

I've found it to be UK specific too - In Canada, for example, they just love you walking into their office with your resume and an invitation to chat about their needs. The humdinger apparently, was hanging out in the coffee shop in the finance district in Toronto !

I really don't anticipate that working well in London, but who knows.

Comment

0%. Last 5 years have been through the old network only. LinkedIn is your friend. Used to be me contacting old workmates/clients but now it's the other way around. Hooray for me!
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

35. All through agencies. So 100%, never longer than 6 weeks out of work in 15 years.

Sorry to break the duck.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X