• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LinkedIn and agencies"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I set my contacts to private years ago, because I got tired of agents ransacking their way through my associates while keeping theirs private. Although I linked into an agent last week and the chap had all 300 of his connections wide open. What a nice chap.
    Always surprises me somewhat that a lot of people do not realise you can hide your connections details. I did so years ago.

Leave a comment:

• HeadOfTesting
    replied
    Originally posted by mobi View Post
    You can make your connections private but as far as I know if someone has premium account with Linked they may still be able to access your full profile.
    I have premium and can re-assure you that I can't see hidden connections.

Leave a comment:

• mobi
    replied
    You can make your connections private but as far as I know if someone has premium account with Linked they may still be able to access your full profile.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    There is no point in ever accepting a goon's LinkedIn request. If a goon genuinely thinks he can place you, and you ignore his LinkedIn request, he is still going to want to try and place you, so he can make his fat commission. And if he is not really after you, then obviously there is no point either.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    I set my contacts to private years ago, because I got tired of agents ransacking their way through my associates while keeping theirs private. Although I linked into an agent last week and the chap had all 300 of his connections wide open. What a nice chap.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Then dont link to them until you get an interview through them! It really isnt hard.
    You need to be thinking further in the future than the contract you're applying for now.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
    You can edit your account settings on linkedin so that only you can see your connections..
    This.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by andyg View Post
    I've noticed quite a few times of late that I receive a call from an agent to discuss a 'live' role and then sharply receive a linkedIn request. The agent never follows up on the 'live' role but I've realised (silly me) that once I accept their linkedIn request the agent then has access to everyone in my network including the person's contact name/position in the company, etc. Yesterday I spent a few moments removing those agents that were in my network.
    Then dont link to them until you get an interview through them! It really isnt hard.

Do you give them 2 references as well when they say 'I've a role you may be interested in but first I need two names etc, etc'?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I only add people if I can see a benefit of any kind. Agents generally don't fit that criteria.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I accept LinkedIn invites from those agents I've worked with and trust (there are some out there), but I keep my connections to myself (originally because I couldn't confirm if the groups I linked to could see them).
    I have two... well... one and a half, the half is a former agent turned HR internal recruiter. The other one is a trustworthy guy who I've worked with for many years.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    No agents on my linkedin profile. There was a while ago, until i saw the error of my ways.

Imagine you're applying for some contract that says you need XYZ skill. Agent sees you have 10 connections with the same XYZ skill. You've just increased the competition for that gig

Leave a comment:

• bluedrop
    replied
    You can edit your account settings on linkedin so that only you can see your connections..

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I accept LinkedIn invites from those agents I've worked with and trust (there are some out there), but I keep my connections to myself (originally because I couldn't confirm if the groups I linked to could see them).

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Keldin View Post
    Just a new variant on the "I just need a couple of references" ploy.
    Yep. I created a LinkedIn profile a couple of years ago and have never done a thing with it. First call of this new type of Agent Phising for me was last Friday; I promptly put the phone down. Mind you, he was insisting I was currently working for Carphone Warehouse as "That's what LinkedIn says..." Didn't seem interested in me pointing out that I've never worked for them in my life...

Agents, don't ya just love 'em.

Leave a comment:

• Keldin
    replied
    I've had a couple of calls from agents where the first thing they want to know is 'how many connections do you have on linkedin" rather than showing any interest in your skills and experience.

Just a new variant on the "I just need a couple of references" ploy.

K

Leave a comment:

Working...
X