• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn and agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn and agencies

I've noticed quite a few times of late that I receive a call from an agent to discuss a 'live' role and then sharply receive a linkedIn request. The agent never follows up on the 'live' role but I've realised (silly me) that once I accept their linkedIn request the agent then has access to everyone in my network including the person's contact name/position in the company, etc. Yesterday I spent a few moments removing those agents that were in my network.
    "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

unless its a personal friend, I never link agencies, for that very reason. Don't do it.
    World's Best Martini

Comment

I've had a couple of calls from agents where the first thing they want to know is 'how many connections do you have on linkedin" rather than showing any interest in your skills and experience.

Just a new variant on the "I just need a couple of references" ploy.

K

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post
        Just a new variant on the "I just need a couple of references" ploy.
        Yep. I created a LinkedIn profile a couple of years ago and have never done a thing with it. First call of this new type of Agent Phising for me was last Friday; I promptly put the phone down. Mind you, he was insisting I was currently working for Carphone Warehouse as "That's what LinkedIn says..." Didn't seem interested in me pointing out that I've never worked for them in my life...

Agents, don't ya just love 'em.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

I accept LinkedIn invites from those agents I've worked with and trust (there are some out there), but I keep my connections to myself (originally because I couldn't confirm if the groups I linked to could see them).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You can edit your account settings on linkedin so that only you can see your connections..

Comment

No agents on my linkedin profile. There was a while ago, until i saw the error of my ways.

Imagine you're applying for some contract that says you need XYZ skill. Agent sees you have 10 connections with the same XYZ skill. You've just increased the competition for that gig
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I accept LinkedIn invites from those agents I've worked with and trust (there are some out there), but I keep my connections to myself (originally because I couldn't confirm if the groups I linked to could see them).
                I have two... well... one and a half, the half is a former agent turned HR internal recruiter. The other one is a trustworthy guy who I've worked with for many years.

Comment

I only add people if I can see a benefit of any kind. Agents generally don't fit that criteria.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                    I've noticed quite a few times of late that I receive a call from an agent to discuss a 'live' role and then sharply receive a linkedIn request. The agent never follows up on the 'live' role but I've realised (silly me) that once I accept their linkedIn request the agent then has access to everyone in my network including the person's contact name/position in the company, etc. Yesterday I spent a few moments removing those agents that were in my network.
                    Then dont link to them until you get an interview through them! It really isnt hard.

Do you give them 2 references as well when they say 'I've a role you may be interested in but first I need two names etc, etc'?
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X