• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Clientco demands work beyond scope of duties on contract"

Collapse

• rd409
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I thought those things were part of being a nice person.
    Exactly. I was confused as well with the post of OP. But now I guess I have a clear understanding.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    Client co demands and receives work beyond scope of contract whilst paying a rate not fitting to this more advanced pieces of work.

Would you get your agent to immediately point this out to clientco and demand the correct rate, or just wait until renewal time?
    "correct rate"? Who is the judge of that?

"fitting"? Ah, that's a matter of opinion.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    Client co demands and receives work beyond scope of contract whilst paying a rate not fitting to this more advanced pieces of work.

Would you get your agent to immediately point this out to clientco and demand the correct rate, or just wait until renewal time?
    Client co 'demands' and 'recieves' work beyond the contract scope? Are you a mug? HMRC would love to get their hands on you as this is clear direction and control by the client!

If the work isnt in the contract, you could do a little as a gesture of goodwill but clearly, give this client and inch and they'll take a light year.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    I have been setting up computers for the permies in past contracts, and even helped one client with relocating their office in my car, but I wont ask them to pay for that.
    I thought those things were part of being a nice person.

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    WSES

The only way to keep continually in contract is to keep you skills up to date and learn new stuff. The only way to do that is

1) do jobs that fall outside your day to day remit as they allow you skill set to improve
    2) keep on the right side of the people paying your bill. If they ask you to solve a problem for them it is not an IR35 problem, it is a marketing opportunity to keep them happy and get a renewal.
    I completely agree with you and SueEllen. Doing stuff as favors or getting in good books is different. But then I wont be expecting the client to pay for that efforts. This is completely meaningless. If I want to get paid for stuff, then it has to be in the contract in writing. That is what I have been doing so far. I have been setting up computers for the permies in past contracts, and even helped one client with relocating their office in my car, but I wont ask them to pay for that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Your contract should be written to have your list of duties/deliverables on it for the project.

However you may find the scope is vague due to the person/lawyer writing them not having a clue about what you actually do. The best ones ask you to check/amend it so you can write the list in such away it gives you a chance to learn new technologies/skills on the job.
    WSES

The only way to keep continually in contract is to keep you skills up to date and learn new stuff. The only way to do that is

1) do jobs that fall outside your day to day remit as they allow you skill set to improve
    2) keep on the right side of the people paying your bill. If they ask you to solve a problem for them it is not an IR35 problem, it is a marketing opportunity to keep them happy and get a renewal.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    To all the more experienced contractors,
    My understanding was that working on projects beyond the scope of the duties on contract is a strict no no for IR35 friendly work practices. Is that not correct? I would sign a new contract (may be sub-contract or an amendment to existing one) to work on a out of scope project work.
    Or I may have my understanding of the IR35 completely wrong.
    Your contract should be written to have your list of duties/deliverables on it for the project.

However you may find the scope is vague due to the person/lawyer writing them not having a clue about what you actually do. The best ones ask you to check/amend it so you can write the list in such away it gives you a chance to learn new technologies/skills on the job.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Daaaam!! SueEllen AND Cojak giving it straight in the same thread. Am in heaven!!

I've learnt from some of the best.

Leave a comment:

• Clever Hans
    replied
    Originally posted by Clever Hans View Post
    How on earth does someone mentally ill get beyond 1000 posts on a forum without being noticed?
    Actually, on second thoughts, best not answer that.

Leave a comment:

• Clever Hans
    replied
    How on earth does someone mentally ill get beyond 1000 posts on a forum without being noticed?

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    To all the more experienced contractors,
    My understanding was that working on projects beyond the scope of the duties on contract is a strict no no for IR35 friendly work practices. Is that not correct? I would sign a new contract (may be sub-contract or an amendment to existing one) to work on a out of scope project work.
    Or I may have my understanding of the IR35 completely wrong.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Daaaam!! SueEllen AND Cojak giving it straight in the same thread. Am in heaven!!

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I would definitely get a separate schedule raised against the contract to cover the new stuff. As to whether it would have a different rate on it - depends on various things, but you're well within your rights.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And who can also shove said lollipop where the sun don't shine.

I don't move aside for chumps, sonny jim...
    Ooh a Cojak ban. Worth 10x an RH.

I'm all for a good 'troll' but Pro boards are a No No.

To the Op question. If you don't like it don't do it.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Permanent I hope Cojak, that particular sockie has been banned before if memory serves.

Well played anyway

Leave a comment:

Working...
X