• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Yawn.... this bench is bl00dy uncomfortable"

Collapse

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    Went for the 1st interview on Wednesday, 2nd interview this morning and was offered a contract, starting Monday. Just had a phone call to tell me that they are puting the contract on hold till May!!!!!!!!!

W******
    Ahhh, I hate it when that happens. You may feel like calling them a now but don't burn your bridges - send them a polite response telling thethat you are still interested and to keep you in mind.

May is only 5 weeks away.....

Leave a comment:

• PropertyCrashUK
    replied
    Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    Went for the 1st interview on Wednesday, 2nd interview this morning and was offered a contract, starting Monday. Just had a phone call to tell me that they are puting the contract on hold till May!!!!!!!!!

W******

Sorry to hear that.

What sort of organisation - public or private sector? What sector - finance, manufacturing, tech, services?

Leave a comment:

• TOSH1
    replied

W******

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Got an offer today after 2 months on the bench.

Money ain't great (20% less than usual) but a 20 minute walk from my flat

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

TBH, I've decided to stop posting on ContractorUK from now on full-stop. I'll read, but post no longer.

Take this thread, for instance. I've made two, non-combative, and sensible response posts in the last two days. My thinking was that it would help people "stuck on the bench", the opening subject of this thread. Sum result of two innocuous posts? An extra 10 negative points of reputation... Pretty pathetic really. And all very unprofessional. Makes posting on here a a pretty thankless and pointless exercise...

Anyway, to the mods and the one or two remaining decent posters, all the best. To the rest, well... (I'm sure you can post plenty of neg. rep. along with "glad to see the back of you" comments to make you happy. )

My time here is done. So long, guys. And SueEllen.
    That makes me glum

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Couldn't agree more.

TBH, I've decided to stop posting on ContractorUK from now on full-stop. I'll read, but post no longer.

Take this thread, for instance. I've made two, non-combative, and sensible response posts in the last two days. My thinking was that it would help people "stuck on the bench", the opening subject of this thread. Sum result of two innocuous posts? An extra 10 negative points of reputation... Pretty pathetic really. And all very unprofessional. Makes posting on here a a pretty thankless and pointless exercise...

Anyway, to the mods and the one or two remaining decent posters, all the best. To the rest, well... (I'm sure you can post plenty of neg. rep. along with "glad to see the back of you" comments to make you happy. )

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Couldn't agree more.

Sad to see you go nomadd. We need all the decent posters we can get on this forum to counter balance.. well you know the ones I mean.
    I suspect I won't be around too long either. If my current bench spell goes on too long I have few options left, and I'll no longer be in a place to do contract work. I suspect next year things will pick up again, but it'll be too late for some of us.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Enough. This is a professional forum. If you want to bicker - please take this to General. Thanks.
    Couldn't agree more.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Last edited by Boo; 15 March 2011, 10:21. Reason: Mod

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    With great respect, this forum is the Business / Contracts forum, and it seems to me that discussions of the (lack of) value that agencies bring to the process is on-topic here ?

Boo
    Boo,

Give it a rest. We know that you don't rate agents but they do provide a service some on here appreciate and it ain't a job I would want to do.

Granted there are some agents I don't like but I can easily avoid them by putting the phone down when they ring.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    With great respect, this forum is the Business / Contracts forum, and it seems to me that discussions of the (lack of) value that agencies bring to the process is on-topic here ?

Boo
    But not with the rudeness you've been displaying Boo.

Enough means enough.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Enough. This is a professional forum. If you want to bicker - please take this to General. Thanks.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    Ignore feature engaged. I have no time for people who:

a) Presume me to know nothing.

b) who don't understand business and business practice.

c) have nothing more valuable to say than "liar/leech".

d) Don't have the intelligence to understand that putting someone cheap who makes you lots of margin forwards for a role, when someone else gets the gig, is of absolutely no value to anyone.

e) Thinks that agencies work on 30 day terms (hello, we call this CONTRACTUAL NEGOTIATION!)

I'm not generally an argumentative person - but when I've spent the last 8 years working on average 12 hours a day, sniffing out opportunities, and building up relationships with people most of you could only dream of having the time to cultivate, I don't overly appreciate people casting doubt on the value which I add. No doubt if I was to find a contract for Boo, I'd be the best thing since sliced bread...apart from the fact that I'd want to charge someone for the priviledge......

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    You will remember that the point of the discussion was to try to determine what value the agency brings into the loop, no ?
    Well actually it started off with me being bored on the bench and what I was doing to fill my time. Don't think I even complained about agencies and personally I think they, well some at least, provide a useful service.

You can't get away from them, I went direct this time and the client still stuck an agency in the mix, probably to cover there ass somewhere along the line.

If you have an "In" to the number of companies that most agents have, then all well and good, if not just let them do their job.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X