• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No DV, refused perm application"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Just saw this thread.

It's actually worth contacting HP to inform them very politely what the agency is up to.

It's very likely they don't know what's going on for various reasons including the agent misinterpreting what the HR bod said, or the HR bod not understanding the rules. Due to the recession don't be surprised if the HR bod moved from an agency to HR as there was someone I use to know who did that in the last recession. (They didn't last long.)

I was contacted a few months ago by one agent about a permanent role that required security clearance. He obviously knew nothing as I explained to him that for permanent roles you get the candidate then conduct brief checks to see if they are likely to get clearance and then you get them to interview. He sounded really unsure of himself and then insisted his client said they must have security clearance already.

Then a week later a different agency contacted me about the same company. And there was no problem with it........

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Depends what you stand for. Personally, I'd go for it even if it lands me in the sh** with one organisation. Problem these days too many people end up stepping into line, like good little sheep. Keep quiet on on the hope you may one day be employed by the big corp?

Besides, you are trying to help them keep to the rules, what they should already know anyway. They may even wish they could thank you for it
    Sadly I do most of my work in defence which they are heavily involved with, but... if anyone hears of a broadsheet doing a hatchet job on HP I'd be willing to hand over some evidence for a fee.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    That's the problem, I just told the misses what I planned to do and she hit the roof.

Sometimes you have to expect to be tulip on from a great height, winding up the HR department of the largest IT employer in the world may be a bad move long term.
    Depends what you stand for. Personally, I'd go for it even if it lands me in the sh** with one organisation. Problem these days too many people end up stepping into line, like good little sheep. Keep quiet on on the hope you may one day be employed by the big corp?

Besides, you are trying to help them keep to the rules, what they should already know anyway. They may even wish they could thank you for it
    Last edited by SuperZ; 20 April 2010, 11:42.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I contacted the HR department of the met police when it was taking an age for my clearance to come through. Didn't get through to the director, but spoke to her secretary. A day later my clearance came through. Funny that.

If the senior management of LargeItCo are doing their job properly, then they'll be quite sensitive to any indication that they could get caught not acting according to the rules. I can understand the reluctance to raise the issue yourself, but there's no reason why, .e.g the PCG couldn't raise it on your behalf. Even if your not a member.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    That's the problem, I just told the misses what I planned to do and she hit the roof.

Sometimes you have to expect to be tulip on from a great height, winding up the HR department of the largest IT employer in the world may be a bad move long term.
    Right - now you see the value of the PCG. If you're a member, get them to do it for you.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Won't do you any good at all, of course, beyond getting the satisfaction that you, a 'umble candidate, can stick one on Mr BigCorp.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Should I reply to the email and enquire how I might go about getting such clearance?

Give him a shovel so to speak.
    the OGC version of the CO guiodelines are at

http://www.ogc.gov.uk/documents/PPN_..._clearance.pdf

and the compakints Email addy is

[email protected]

Quote the Cabinet Office guidelines to him that explain in words of one syllable why not having clearance is not a barrier to applying for a role (especially a permanent one). If he doesn't know what you're talking about, ask him why not; as an HMG supplier he has surely kept up with all the relevant regulations, after all...

Also email the CO compalints address and expalin the situation. Said supplier will get a high-level visit from someone with a big stick.

Won't do you any good at all, of course, beyond getting the satisfaction that you, a 'umble candidate, can stick one on Mr BigCorp.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Should I reply to the email and enquire how I might go about getting such clearance?

Give him a shovel so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well at least someone will get their wrist slapped, if we are all apathetic about these situations then we deserve what we get.
    That is true I guess.

This link has the mail addy to report the company to but not much else.

FaQQer used to be pretty hot on here but can't find anything in the searches at mo.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Guidance is here

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/documents/...ce_in_job_.pdf

but this may be a PCG members only link. I think you can find the original on the Cabinet Office website (www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk, from memory).

will have a better look over lunch...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And what to gain?

They will just come up with some other excuse not to deal with you because you haven't got DV but can't discrimitate on that. Enough CV's, role cancelled, more better candidates etc etc..
    Well at least someone will get their wrist slapped, if we are all apathetic about these situations then we deserve what we get.

Anyone have any links the guidelines? All I can find is snippets with reference to agencies and contractors.

I feel aggrieved because I've worked there before and the only new people they are taking on must be coming from the only source of pre-cleared candidates which is the British military, hardly bodes well for the long term if ex squadies are running the entire show and no-one else gets a look in.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Given that it's an HR department, why not write a letter to the HR director, pointing out the relevant rules, with supporting documentation. HR's job is to protect the company from getting into trouble.

You've nothing to lose, really.
    And what to gain?

They will just come up with some other excuse not to deal with you because you haven't got DV but can't discrimitate on that. Enough CV's, role cancelled, more better candidates etc etc..

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Given that it's an HR department, why not write a letter to the HR director, pointing out the relevant rules, with supporting documentation. HR's job is to protect the company from getting into trouble.

You've nothing to lose, really.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    started a topic No DV, refused perm application

No DV, refused perm application

I can understand agencies bending the rules on security clearance with a 'limited time frame' excuse for sort term contracts but what about a perm position?

I applied for 2x perm roles that require DV only to be turned down flat with an email that read: "Both of these posts required current DV which I see from your CV that you haven't got".

This is from the HR department of the biggest IT firm in the world BTW, you'd think they'd know better.

Working...
X