• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job interview(permie) - Bad if they don't ask for your salary expectations ?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    On the one hand you might find the agency won't fight to get the best salary they can, and thereby increase their income, on the other hand, you risk antagonising the employer.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Not so.

For a permie position through an agency the commission is most likely a % of first year's salary. Since both you and the agency both get paid directly by the client, the agency has no way of shafting you. In fact, the higher your salary, the higher their commission.

You talk to the guy who writes the cheques.

HTH
    True, but the problem is you've still taken yourself out of the loop.

Let's face it, the agency, in these difficult times, is going to take any commission they can get. If the client starts to play hard ball, then the agent is the first to back down, and then give you a sob story about how difficult the market is, yada, yada, yada. I've been dealing with agents for 30 years, and I have no faith in them whatsoever. But hey, we are stuck with them.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just like to have control in my hands, not some scumbag agent who will screw me for their little bit of commission and then forget about me as quickly as they can whilst they jump onto their next punter. Remember, they can make their money by volume, we can't. Look after number 1, and all that.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Wrong. Completely.

Always discuss salary with the client for a permie role. That way you don't get them shafting you, or the agent shafting you. Make sure everyone is on the same page, so the bulltulip is avoided later down the line. If you are going to play "hard ball" with someone, then it might as well be with the person who actually has the money, rather than some greedy intermediary who just wants their commission at any cost.

Nomadd
    Not so.

For a permie position through an agency the commission is most likely a % of first year's salary. Since both you and the agency both get paid directly by the client, the agency has no way of shafting you. In fact, the higher your salary, the higher their commission.

You talk to the guy who writes the cheques.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Not the right thing to do - as per previous post, discuss all salary requirements via the agent - that way you can play harder ball without harming any potential relationships before starting the role
    Wrong. Completely.

Always discuss salary with the client for a permie role. That way you don't get them shafting you, or the agent shafting you. Make sure everyone is on the same page, so the bullsh1t is avoided later down the line. If you are going to play "hard ball" with someone, then it might as well be with the person who actually has the money, rather than some greedy intermediary who just wants their commission at any cost.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• BlueElise
    replied
    ... but there is a lot of interest from contractors who are thinking of going permie, so I think this kind of question is allowed.

I had a permie interview a while ago, and salary wasn't mentioned because it was all done through the HR department, it would have been discussed when the job was being offered - not that I got it, been contracting too long and they didn't think I would like it.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
    Meeow
    This is a contractor's forum, just in case you hadn't noticed...

Leave a comment:

• xenopus
    replied
    Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    Certainly not if there is an agency involved. Leaving salary negotiations to the agent makes it far more simple for all involved.

If there is no agency involved, I would concentrate all efforts on other roles - def not a good sign! Def not end of the world either.

No agencies here. Applied straight to HR.

And the manager who interviewed me seemed to be in a hurry (new software release due end of this week apprently!)

Oh well ! Not gonna get my hopes up for this one.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    1. Yes.
    2. Didn't you mention it? I would of done.

Nomadd
    Not the right thing to do - as per previous post, discuss all salary requirements via the agent - that way you can play harder ball without harming any potential relationships before starting the role

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by xenopus View Post
    Is it a bad omen if the interviewer (this chap is one of the managers, but not the department head) doesn't ask you for your ££ expectations during your first round of interviews ?
    1. Yes.
    2. Didn't you mention it? I would of done.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• Unicorn
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I have no idea, since I'm not a permie...
    Meeow

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Had my First round of interviews for a permie role 2 days ago and still awaiting outcome.

Is it a bad omen if the interviewer (this chap is one of the managers, but not the department head) doesn't ask you for your ££ expectations during your first round of interviews ? Am I just over analyzing things ? LOL

cheers guys
    I have no idea, since I'm not a permie...

Leave a comment:

• herman_g
    replied
    Certainly not if there is an agency involved. Leaving salary negotiations to the agent makes it far more simple for all involved.

If there is no agency involved, I would concentrate all efforts on other roles - def not a good sign! Def not end of the world either.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Is it a bad omen if the interviewer (this chap is one of the managers, but not the department head) doesn't ask you for your ££ expectations during your first round of interviews?
    Not if there to be further interviews.

Leave a comment:

• Job interview(permie) - Bad if they don't ask for your salary expectations ?

Had my First round of interviews for a permie role 2 days ago and still awaiting outcome.

Is it a bad omen if the interviewer (this chap is one of the managers, but not the department head) doesn't ask you for your ££ expectations during your first round of interviews ? Am I just over analyzing things ? LOL

cheers guys

Working...
X