• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "******* investment banking"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    One weekend recently I went home thinking I had been under reporting an AUM figure for the last 6 months to the tune of $40 billion, wondering how I was going to explain it I couldn't just slip it in to conversation , thinking my professional indem insurance of a couple of million wouldn't really cover it

I wouldnt worry about the odd 40 Biliion - its not unknown for me to go through that over a weekend.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Unfortantly it was a report used at board level hence my major crapping of pants. Turns out though I was right all along the issue wasn't my side but it was another application that was showing the wrong figure but they insisted they were right until I proved them otherwise.
    Board level, so not really important. Some secretary will just kind of note that there must be some mistake, and then they move on to the next point on their agenda.

It's only a problem if your figure appears on the daily accounts, and then there will be a huge hoo-ha.

No no nothing to worry about, they'll probably have a bit of a snigger about it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    All this time the world has been thinking that there was a credit-crunch and billions of pounds had been lost and it turns out that the money was there all along but you just left it off your report.

You'd better let the Bank of England know quick or they'll overdo the QE.
    I remember a friend at HSBC in early 90s who miscalculated amount of IRSs they had. It went to the BoE and newspapers. Proves they will print any old nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    One weekend recently I went home thinking I had been under reporting an AUM figure for the last 6 months to the tune of $40 billion, wondering how I was going to explain it I couldn't just slip it in to conversation , thinking my professional indem insurance of a couple of million wouldn't really cover it
    Unfortantly it was a report used at board level hence my major crapping of pants. Turns out though I was right all along the issue wasn't my side but it was another application that was showing the wrong figure but they insisted they were right until I proved them otherwise.
    All this time the world has been thinking that there was a credit-crunch and billions of pounds had been lost and it turns out that the money was there all along but you just left it off your report.

You'd better let the Bank of England know quick or they'll overdo the QE.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I wouldn't worry, obviously it is one of those reports no one looks at. Just put in a fix and shove it in a release.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I wouldn't worry, obviously it is one of those reports no one looks at. Just put in a fix and shove it in a release.
    Just ask the UK government for the $40bn, after all it's for a bank and they just love splashing out cash on banks.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by dozer View Post
    apologies for my abbreviation, im constantly writing in acronyms and it seems to have translated to place names.
    So "dozer" is an acronym for...?

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Last edited by Bumfluff; 17 August 2009, 22:31.

Leave a comment:

• MikeB
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If you are so interested why not drop your rate to get started?
    to be honest I've never been particularly fussed about what sector I'm working in, more interested in what I'm doing rather than where. I guess IB rightly or wrongly just put more emphasis on prior business knowledge than technical experience.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Bloody pedant
    Capital letter for a capital city. The rest of 'em can go hang.

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Ironically you will find that many IBs use "LDN" in various server, application names etc. etc. that operate in or support - you guessed it - London business.
    True, but you'll also find: L, LO, LON, LN.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Ironically you will find that many IBs use "LDN" in various server, application names etc. etc. that operate in or support - you guessed it - London business.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    London

Bloody pedant

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    ldn?

Ah I know what you mean. Let me help you. Its

london

There. That wasn't too difficult was it?
    London

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    ldn?

Ah I know what you mean. Let me help you. Its

london

There. That wasn't too difficult was it?
    Actually, it's "Larn-darn".

(Stroof, you arht-a-towners. Dhan't nah ah er say, nuffink, yooze dhant. )

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

Working...
X