• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Spain digital nomad visa"

Collapse

• Bluenose
    replied
    I don't want to refer you all to the facebook group as I don't want to upset the admins here but I used a para-legal to help me with the docs.

Main issue is the A1 certificate from HMRC, everything else is easy. There is a list on the Spanish Manchester and London consulate sites.

You can use your limited but the 24% flat tax rate probably won't apply if you use that route (it won't be 100% confirmed for a while), you would have to use a U.K Brolly and swallow the U.K NI deductions. I am OK with that but others may not be.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    I managed to complete the process with my family. Good luck to those attempting it in 2024.
    Congrats.

I'd also be VERY interested to learn more.

Leave a comment:

• hildaoblivion
    replied
    Well done! Interesting to hear details if you're willing to share?

Did you use/keep using your UK Ltd?

What docs were needed and how long to get them...etc

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    I managed to complete the process with my family. Good luck to those attempting it in 2024.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    test

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
    I found this graphic a helpful reminder, showing basic rules for travel in the EU.
    It's not just EU citizens, it's citizens of any Schengen country as well - i.e. Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Lichtenstein

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    I found this graphic a helpful reminder, showing basic rules for travel in the EU.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
    Long term rentals are widely available from 10th September (end of high season - beginning of school/ higher education cycle) until June (Spanish schools break up around 21st June). This is the model I favour, as I have no interest in tying up more equity in property.
    Thank you for the advice, some of them I was aware but some of them were also only in my head.
    I do need to learn Spanish to be able to communicate properly, I can understand and speak a few words but far from being fluent.

my mind is set for Marbella or between Marbella and puerto banus for now. Not entirely convinced to pull the trigger but will see.

I live in Isle of Dogs in London with Thames view and it is indeed incomparable. As long as you live high enough so that you do not hear the party boars, the experience is incomparable.
    there is that show: “murder by the sea” where the say that there is something that attracts psychopaths, always wondered if it is me or it is only the beauty of nature…
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 24 July 2023, 06:49.

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    Long term rentals are widely available from 10th September (end of high season - beginning of school/ higher education cycle) until June (Spanish schools break up around 21st June). This is the model I favour, as I have no interest in tying up more equity in property.

One of the benefits of renting during this period in an obvious tourist area (e.g. beachfront) is that the second home/ holiday rental purpose of the whole block often means you will have near complete privacy for the period of rental (no noise from neighbours).

Another benefit, since the 9/10 month contract is unappealing to many, means you can achieve a rent that may be equivalent to 3-4% effective annual yield (based on the expected selling price of the property), which means it's a no-brainer to rent rather than buy. Typically the best rental deals are on the older properties (especially those without a/c) where the owner has already cleared the mortgage.

If you are prepared to select 2nd or 3rd line to the beach the savings can be even greater. That is a false economy in my opinion, trading quality of life for a few hundred euros per month, but all our situations are different.

I would suggest using Idealista ( https://idealista.com/ ) as a guide to understand the Spanish property market in the area you are targeting, however it is unlikely you will get any response from contacting ads (1) Unless you are communicating in Spanish (2) Unless you are located in Spain. For that reason, when you are serious about finding a property you should probably contact one or the larger agents in the area, especially if you are trying to coordinate everything from overseas. Although of course that means the price could be higher.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Mate of mine (from Poland, so EU) recently moved to Greece as he can work remotely from wherever and found it rather difficult to get a longer term rental (he got one in the end, but not after being left high and dry and having to move out in two days as the chap changed his mind). Main issue was that you are not local, you might ditch it and move out any minute etc. so the risk for them is higher.
    they start to be less picky once outside the holiday season albeit with the caveat that plenty will expect you to vacate before the next holiday season.
    Which would not mind as you are never sure how long you would like to stay somewhere. I might find something off-putting after the next 4-5 months.

considering how cheap it currently is on airbnb, I do not find it an actual problem. the rental market is actually worse in the areas in demand in UK.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    [...]I've lived for 3+ months in Airbnb's here and not entirely sure if to pull the trigger on getting a more long term accommodation. Finding long term accommodation during the summer is also slightly more difficult as they would rather get tourists in at daily rates.
    [...]
    Mate of mine (from Poland, so EU) recently moved to Greece as he can work remotely from wherever and found it rather difficult to get a longer term rental (he got one in the end, but not after being left high and dry and having to move out in two days as the chap changed his mind). Main issue was that you are not local, you might ditch it and move out any minute etc. so the risk for them is higher.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    The main problem is that the U.K government is curre you taking up to three and a half months to issue A1 social security certificates to British people who have been paying national insurance for a quarter of a century.
    prisoners are not allowed to leave the prison. Not that it is any different in Europe, it is actually worse in most places including Spain if you have to work there. But if you are lucky and can arbitrage earning in a HCOL area while living in a LCOL area... it can work well.

Maybe persist with a few phone calls to the support line? It should be only a formality.

I've lived for 3+ months in Airbnb's here and not entirely sure if to pull the trigger on getting a more long term accommodation. Finding long term accommodation during the summer is also slightly more difficult as they would rather get tourists in at daily rates.

The UK economic situation might deteriorate in the near future as more information comes out. There are already issues with defaults, corporate leases, people struggling with debt, but I think more will follow in the next 3 months.
    I would get my ducks in order asap so you can focus on what is next.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    The main problem is that the U.K government is curre you taking up to three and a half months to issue A1 social security certificates to British people who have been paying national insurance for a quarter of a century.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    surprised this thread is dead ...

might be a bit off-topic but are there options for people that do not have EU passport / visa?
    90days / 180 days in Schenghen area?
    Are there other european countries where they could spend another 90 days before the 180 days move? Asia ?
    Non Schengen seem to be: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania
    Does it work like that?

If you are stuck in London with a 1 bed flat at 1700 without bills or 1200 in the rest of the SE that seems a poor decision financially if you do not have any income coming in.

Currently it costs me about 950 per month for an 1bed airbnb city center Seville and probably another 600 euro in food, eating out mostly. It is significantly less than most places in UK.

Are there any other EU options to bounce around or do you have to go to Thailand Asia etc. ?
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 17 July 2023, 09:30.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    The paperwork is light, the requirements are very tight, probably designed to stop a stampede from day-one like in Portugal.

On the flip side you'll get a response within about 20 days. In Portugal right now, you'll be lucky to get one in 2 years. I jest of course but Portugal just sacked their entire immigration department it was getting that bad.

24% Tax flat-rated to 600k EUR? There are worse ways to earn a EU passport.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X