• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 scrapped ... is this for real?"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Slx View Post
    Thank you for your replies, I refused in the past inside roles but now I had a break during summer and looking to get into work asap. if I wait couple of weeks probably I would secure something outside but not many calls lately. beside it's good rate. None of my contracts had 9-5pm state in the papers, mostly 40hr/week but not specific hours. Being inside probably I will get different terms but will pay attention to any exclusive clause which will mean a no-go in the end.
    My salary from ltd has been around 15k/year (or more) not less than NMW. I expect to take inside role for 3 months up to the 50k trashhold or little beyond. No comment on how to deal with 2 cnt in same time/effort just looking for more experienced views on the umbrella part (as i have none).
    Are you planning to run the two contracts at the same time? If so, then you are just working for two companies (your Ltd and the umbrella), and getting paid by both. Try to put as much of the umbrella pay into your pension pot.
    There may be implications on your tax code, but that's getting into the details which you should discuss with an accountant and tax advisor.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Thank you for your replies, I refused in the past inside roles but now I had a break during summer and looking to get into work asap. if I wait couple of weeks probably I would secure something outside but not many calls lately. beside it's good rate. None of my contracts had 9-5pm state in the papers, mostly 40hr/week but not specific hours. Being inside probably I will get different terms but will pay attention to any exclusive clause which will mean a no-go in the end.
    My salary from ltd has been around 15k/year (or more) not less than NMW. I expect to take inside role for 3 months up to the 50k trashhold or little beyond. No comment on how to deal with 2 cnt in same time/effort just looking for more experienced views on the umbrella part (as i have none).
    For an umbrella speak to Lucy at Home - Clarity Umbrella Ltd - UK PAYE Umbrella Company

And as I said before you will be taxed a lot if you go via an umbrella so the sane plan is to put as much as possible into a SIPP pension pot.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Neo

I'm 100% certain you'll 100% disagree with the above regardless. That's just how it is around here. Prove me wrong.
    ...big snip...

I don't, actually. CUK is a shadow of its former self. Perhaps its userbase is much smaller these days so the loudmouths stand out more.

This isn't a workplace though; that 20-odd years was mostly a mix of senior manager and Interim consutancy so I know how to manage stuff - often quite expensive stuff, often with lots of people. That's not what I do here. Nor is Malvolio anything like the real me; for one thing he started as an experiment in creating a whole new persona.

Ask simple questions or hard questions about stuff you don't understand and you get sensible answers.

Ask something that shows you haven't bothered to find out (and 99% has been answered already, with a bit of digging) and youll upset someone.

Every forum suffers from what you see as a toxic environment. CUK is better than most. Take from that what you will.

So can we get back to the real topic now?

Leave a comment:

• Slx
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Now I received an offer on an inside contract on good rate which I am willing to start. Not sure if I will have two employments - one from my limited which is still paying my salary and umbrella. Can I still contracting on my limited while working through umbrella ? I haven't received the contract, still at the offer stage (not willing to accept any restrictions but not sure how the umbrella part works)
    Firstly you aren't employed by your company. You are a director. That's different. If you were employed you would have to pay yourself NMW, directors are exempt.

Nothing wrong with running your LTD and Umbrella in parallel but I very much doubt you can run an inside and outside concurrently. I am sure some people will be rolling their eyes at me but you need to check the obligations of both contracts. In most cases when this gets asked it's through sheer greed of the contractor and an attempt to double bill on the other clients time just because they are WFH and out of the clients eye. Looking at the inside gig as that is probably the most problematic. It's likely inside because they want you to work 9 to 5 for 5 days a week under direction and control. If you your contract states this, which even outside ones do then you cannot work for the outside client between those times. You are contracted to be available 40 hours a week. It's likely the outside gig has this contracted and expects the same of you. Working two contracts like this is taking the piss and neither client will be happy if they find out.

All that said, IF, and that's a big if when one contract is inside. Neither have set times, both are happy to be flexible on delivery without D&C then sure, you can multi gig to your hearts content. It's arguable that you can bill both, you should be billing for time spent or being a bit lenient with the truth how long it took you to produce a deliverable but that's business. If the expectation is you are fully committed to one gig then doing another is taking the piss.

Quite a few other threads on this and it's off topic for this thread so have a search using the Google search method. In google type <keywords> site:forums.contractoruk.com and either tag on any questions to those or start a new thread if you've more questions.

For full clarity my opinion is a bit black and white and there are others that just say fill your boots but IMO if you are contracted to do a piece of work and you are not fulfilling that contract properly then you shouldn't be doing it.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 September 2022, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    question not sure if related to this post, if you could help

I've been working only on outside contracts in last years, having a monthly salary paid by my limited company continuously (being on a contract or no contract for months)

Now I received an offer on an inside contract on good rate which I am willing to start. Not sure if I will have two employments - one from my limited which is still paying my salary and umbrella. Can I still contracting on my limited while working through umbrella ? I haven't received the contract, still at the offer stage (not willing to accept any restrictions but not sure how the umbrella part works)
    Yes you can work an inside contract alongside other work - provided the inside contract hasn't got any t&cs about not working for anyone else.

My advice would be to try and throw as much as possible of the inside contract into your pension...

Leave a comment:

• Slx
    replied
    question not sure if related to this post, if you could help

I've been working only on outside contracts in last years, having a monthly salary paid by my limited company continuously (being on a contract or no contract for months)

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I would add a note of caution that if the whole budget ends up being pulled due to non-IR35 reasons the rollback might not happen.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Oi! I was just about to say something nice about you until you said that.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Hmmm...

Look at this way. If you can't take criticism or blunt comments on a question that several of us have experienced, seen, answered and defended many times over the years, then that's not our problem, it's yours. We work in a tough environment (in my case for well over 20 years), sometimes we over-react and while we try to be reasonably polite, we aren't here to hold hands and be sweetness and light. Most of the bad-tempered exchanges, this being one example, are people bitching about the nature of the answer rather than the content.

Our other, slightly more hidden agenda, is to test that you aren't simply being lazy (or trolling, which we hate) but have genuinely tried to work out the answer and can't. That happens, some apparently simple things can be quite difficult to understand.

Don't shoot the messengers, they are genuinely only trying to help.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's a fact.

That's true and a bed I've made for myself for sure. If any of them have ever learnt something or my post has actually helped them despite my posting style then I can live with my rep. But to be fair if they are the type that is going to judge me from internet presence over my real life persona and skills then I'm probably not going to get on with them anyway.

I'm sure my karma will catch up with me one day which will please my anti-fan base no end but that's life.

BTW, come to an Xmas do with us. Some of the grumpiest of us go and they are absolute class bunch. The mod that locked your thread is a top bloke. The mod that ,lucky for you, didn't get to your thread first is just a gem. And there is LM as well I guess. Nothing like their internet personas...

Anyway, back on topic please.
    Oi! I was just about to say something nice about you until you said that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Neo View Post
    ...is a tad defensive.
    It's a fact.

You're quite famous in the banking contracting scene, but not necessarily in a good way. Let's hope your real persona is never connected with your online one
    That's true and a bed I've made for myself for sure. If any of them have ever learnt something or my post has actually helped them despite my posting style then I can live with my rep. But to be fair if they are the type that is going to judge me from internet presence over my real life persona and skills then I'm probably not going to get on with them anyway.

I'm sure my karma will catch up with me one day which will please my anti-fan base no end but that's life.

BTW, come to an Xmas do with us. Some of the grumpiest of us go and they are absolute class bunch. The mod that locked your thread is a top bloke. The mod that ,lucky for you, didn't get to your thread first is just a gem. And there is LM as well I guess. Nothing like their internet personas...

Anyway, back on topic please.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 28 September 2022, 23:14.

Leave a comment:

• Guest22
    replied
    I'm obviously known for a lot but defensive replies isn't one of them is it?
    Well...

And as you've seen in your other thread it's not just me.
    ...is a tad defensive.

No, it's not just you, which is why I said you're "one of the reasons". But it's no wonder this forum is barely used compared to years ago, and your username has always cropped up IRL whenever the toxic culture of this forum has come up in conversation over the years with fellow contractors around the Wharf. You're quite famous in the banking contracting scene, but not necessarily in a good way. Let's hope your real persona is never connected with your online one.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Neo View Post
    I'm rep0 on here, but has it affected me IRL? Hardly. But on here I'm a "bellend" apparently.

Cue defensive reply from northernladuk.
    You are not

Neo

Should post faster
    Neo doesn't make much sense
    You've got a long way to go before rep0 so will be treated with courtesy and respect until such times you've said enough stupid things to get you to the bottom.

I'm obviously known for a lot but defensive replies isn't one of them is it?

And as you've seen in your other thread it's not just me. Thank your lucky stars Bolshiebastard or Malvolio didn't get in on your thread
    Last edited by northernladuk; 28 September 2022, 22:49.

Leave a comment:

• Guest22
    replied
    Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post

You keep mentioning that reputation0 (like third time?) as if it meant anything to anyone apart from yourself.

You should spend less time collecting internet points and, like, play with your kids or do something meaningful in life, perphaps? Take it as you want
    Completely agree with this. northernladuk is one of the reasons I don't post much on here (member since 2012), and barely have done for years, which I know from fellow contractors is why they also don't. This is undoubtedly one of the reasons Contractor UK Limited's financial performance (according to CH) has only gone down over the years, because the mods allow such behaviour rather than maintaining a courteous community, which clearly deters most people from wanting to use the site given the many other options there now are.

Granted northernladuk is a king around here, but not sure what value that has to his life other than tribalistically feeling part of a pretend bunch of friends. But that's his prerogative and his time (which is clearly a lot judging from the amount of posting). I've used similar amounts of time over the years to add value to my family's life. But maybe it's what he wants. Online validation. Or maybe it just gets to a point where one can't let go of a dead horse once you've flogged it so much.

I'm rep0 on here, but has it affected me IRL? Hardly. But on here I'm a "bellend" apparently.

Cue defensive reply from northernladuk.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X