• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Alternative to LinkedIn?"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by kloos View Post

It is free.... unless you pay. I find that when I'm searching for my next contract, I get more attention if I go Pro for a couple of months. What are people's views on LI paid v's free?
    I have paid for pro a few times but only for a few months at a time. I can't say it made much difference as it's usually someone in my network who gives me a lead or a job rather than a person I wouldn't otherwise have access to. At least it's easy to cancel.

Leave a comment:

• kloos
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    During lockdown LI has become more like Facebook, Twitter, et al but I stick with it as it is free and I have gotten a number of gigs from it.

However, I do spend a lot of time using the Mute/Unfollow buttons.

A Conscious Uncoupling I think Gwyneth called it.

qh
    It is free.... unless you pay. I find that when I'm searching for my next contract, I get more attention if I go Pro for a couple of months. What are people's views on LI paid v's free?

Leave a comment:

• KentDogWalker
    replied
    LinkedIn is big pharma censoring trash

BizFluence is better.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    During lockdown LI has become more like Facebook, Twitter, et al but I stick with it as it is free and I have gotten a number of gigs from it.

However, I do spend a lot of time using the Mute/Unfollow buttons.

A Conscious Uncoupling I think Gwyneth called it.

qh

Leave a comment:

• MasterBait
    replied
    Xing.com Free version doesn't give you as much access as LinkedIn but still good enough to find good contracts if you're interested in working in Europe

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    It ha certainly gone downhill since Microsoft brought it but I still have a lot more success through it than the job's boards now.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Only benefit i get from Linkedin is that i follow a couple of Microsoft MVPs / Gold Partners.
    They usually post about up and coming new features of Microsoft/Office 365 so I dont have to go searching for whats new myself.

I work primarly in Office 365/Digital Workplace deployments so its handy have this knowledge.

I dont think I have ever got a job or a lead from LinkedIn. Jobserve all the way.

Leave a comment:

• kloos
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    https://www.polywork.com is aiming to be a better alternative to LinkedIn, its still not launched publicly though.
    Looks like it's aimed at kids. I can't see professionals signing up if they use that kind of cartoon style. It also states: "What do you do, it's a question asked by our friends, parents, uncles, grandparents". I don't think my grandparents are going to be offering me my next contract

Leave a comment:

• Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    https://www.polywork.com is aiming to be a better alternative to LinkedIn, its still not launched publicly though.
    Their website doesn't give any real detail, just a weird motivational slide show.

I think they are going to have the same problems as every other 'social network'.

Anywhere someone can say something about themselves (qualifications, skills, experience) - some people will lie

Anywhere you allow freeform text posts - people will spam rubbish

Anywhere where data is publicly available - companies will harvest it, sell it, spam people, sell things

LinkedIn tried to be a professional network, now it's full of rubbish motivational posts, reports, lies, propaganda. People inflate their job experience, get friends to recommned their skills, and agents and vendors trawl the space looking for someone to sell or sell something to.

EDIT: Some spelling. Theres probably more of them

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Or can we put our minds together and create one?
    Aye, wire in mate. Come up with some requirements and I'll do the front end work.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Works well for me. Got all my contracts (3 so far) via LinkedIn direct messages. No time on the bench in the last 5 years.

I rarely go on it unless I get a message request notification.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    https://www.xing.com/ is the alternative, it has been around for many years, downside it is quite focussed on Germany, Austria and Switzerland at the moment but more popular then LinkedIn in the German speaking world. But it helped me to find a contract in Germany a few years ago

Leave a comment:

• kloos
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So what you are actually saying is that some elements of LI have been useful but LI itself as it was designed to work is useless because you ignore it. It was supposed to be a social platform for professionals, not a job board, and it's that element the OP is tired of.
    Essentially, yes that is what I am saying. Except it's worse than that as jobs board is far from user-friendly with the multiple duplications and posts not listing a salary or rate.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Always makes me laugh when I view an agents profile, particularly the younger ones. The list of 'recently viewed like this' is just a list of young female glam things in various next to nothing dresses and pouts. It appears LI is providing a valuable service to the older male demographic at least

Leave a comment:

Working...
X