• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Strange request

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Strange request"

Collapse

• jayn200
    replied
    I would do it if there was little/no prep involved. If they expected me to do 10+ hours of research and design some solution than probably would pass.

I have been asked how I would go about a project (high level explanation) in an interview before, I don't think that part is abnormal. It is a little weird to record it but I mean how much of that can we put down to people becoming more comfortable with video format with Covid.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    I suppose that would make my heart sink slightly less than the offer of a 'panel interview' but the good old fashioned "informal chat about your hobbies and 5 mins about what the project wants to do and when can you start" will always be my favourite

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    In this case there was no job ad, no JD, and the role quite senior. I get the idea of the video application saving some time for the client, but it’s not like they’ll be getting hundreds of CVs here.

in this market it is contractors who have the high volume of opportunities, and I’m prioritising how I spend my time. I.e. serious interest only, no time wasters, client interviews, fewer rounds of them.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    Video interviewing has worked and will grow to be the norm in certain sectors I believe. In blue-collar environments where there is little to differentiate people on in terms of hard skills, soft skills make a real difference. Also in high volume markets doing a video is a 'sign of commitment'

In the white collar world, sales roles and c-Suite profiles will naturally lend themselves to this approach.

From the sound of the OP, they are basically asking you to tell them how to do the project.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Oh dear. I don't think you should have said that while NLUK is around. He'll probably bring out 50p at the next meet up.
    Give me a sec. Just asking my accountant what constitutes business entertainment expenses.. Back shortly.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I'm not getting my nipple tassels out without payment up front
    Oh dear. I don't think you should have said that while NLUK is around. He'll probably bring out 50p at the next meet up.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm not getting my nipple tassels out without payment up front

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by virtualm View Post

f... that, that is classed as free consultancy. I've never been asked this, and I would decline it. I smell a rat straight off. Put that pimp on your warning list, or just ignore them.

If the client was legit then they would setup a call with you and ask you these questions in the interview (without it being recorded)....
    A couple of scenario based questions? Is it balls. It's like anything in life nowadays, the onus is on you to do the work, like freeagent, online banking etc. Setting up a call requires clients time and planning. This way they can watch it when they feel like it. Quite an efficient idea but I don't like it because not everyone is comfortable behind a camera so adds blockers that have nothing to do with the role.

Leave a comment:

• virtualm
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    An agent put my CV forward for a contract and immediately phoned me after this to ask if he could record a video of myself answering some questions from the client. The video would then be shared with the client and if the liked it I would get an ‘interview’. Lucky me. The questions were about how to solve a complex problem directly related to the project. I declined..

This is a new one for me. Anybody else done this and did it go anywhere?
    f... that, that is classed as free consultancy. I've never been asked this, and I would decline it. I smell a rat straight off. Put that pimp on your warning list, or just ignore them.

If the client was legit then they would setup a call with you and ask you these questions in the interview (without it being recorded)....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This. Although I thought Andy's model was to produce a presentation about yourself that could be shared with the CV rather than tailored per client. I could be totally wrong there but either way, same kind of approach.

Out of interest. What did the agency say about the video once you'd had the interview. Do they keep it on record with your CV for use again or is it deleted once used?
    Client specific questions - used for that client
    Generic agency questions - depends on the agency but I suspect they would want to use the video to find you work.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Andy Hallett spent a couple of years helping some people develop a similar system. If you think about it, it may provide a better filter than a CV, here is someone talking about the issues you have rather than trying to deceive from a CV if this person can help you.

Yep it's strange (or rather, uncommon because it's new) but it probably saves the end client some time and allows them to create a short list of 3 rather than say 5.
    This. Although I thought Andy's model was to produce a presentation about yourself that could be shared with the CV rather than tailored per client. I could be totally wrong there but either way, same kind of approach.

Out of interest. What did the agency say about the video once you'd had the interview. Do they keep it on record with your CV for use again or is it deleted once used?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    An agent put my CV forward for a contract and immediately phoned me after this to ask if he could record a video of myself answering some questions from the client. The video would then be shared with the client and if the liked it I would get an ‘interview’. Lucky me. The questions were about how to solve a complex problem directly related to the project. I declined..

Andy Hallett spent a couple of years helping some people develop a similar system. If you think about it, it may provide a better filter than a CV, here is someone talking about the issues you have rather than trying to deceive from a CV if this person can help you.

Yep it's strange (or rather, uncommon because it's new) but it probably saves the end client some time and allows them to create a short list of 3 rather than say 5.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    started a topic Strange request

Strange request

Working...
X