• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Supposed new contract with HCL"

Collapse

• lecyclist
    replied
    Anyone who has worked for them I'm sure will have anecdotes concerning their payment terms and their constant excuses why payments have been delayed, their attempts to part-pay invoices, reneging on contract terms etc. Also worth asking your Indian colleagues working for Wipro, TCS or Infosys whether they would consider working for HCL. The answers will be revealing.

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    less painful to inhale a gallon of HCl gas

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Then I would send a note to the end client via LinkedIn saying something along the lines of ‘shame it didn’t work out this time, no hard feelings, maybe next time!

You might find out more about why it didn’t work out…
    H to the C to the L cannot get anyone else in!! End client vetoed already its a critical business team so no need for me to do that just have to wait longer for the boom boom it seems......!!

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So it appears it might actually be a genuine situation that the project has stalled and you are no longer needed. It happens all the time even with reputable companies. The fact it's HCL means you've got to wade the the mire of excuses, penny pinching and other silly games they play but it might actually be a genuine situation in this case.
    Its 100% genuine alright for me just super frustrating they play these silly games at the last moment!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Nope no references they never asked as I worked there before. The end client specifically chose me as I have worked with the same team before......
    Then I would send a note to the end client via LinkedIn saying something along the lines of ‘shame it didn’t work out this time, no hard feelings, maybe next time!

You might find out more about why it didn’t work out…

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Nope no references they never asked as I worked there before. The end client specifically chose me as I have worked with the same team before......
    In that case that is a bit crap. Going back to an old client and they do this dam annoying.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I've heard of HCL doing similar in the past - using your CV to get the work then subbing two of their own grunts in to actually (try and) do it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    So it appears it might actually be a genuine situation that the project has stalled and you are no longer needed. It happens all the time even with reputable companies. The fact it's HCL means you've got to wade the the mire of excuses, penny pinching and other silly games they play but it might actually be a genuine situation in this case.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

it is what it is.

agencies sometimes might offer someone a contract to take him out of current role so they can place someone else in.
    do they already have people placed at current client?

did any of you offer references just yet?

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

Yes your correct but also if HCL dangle the carrot telling you to start on a specific date then go radio silent at the last possible moment is as expected from these people I know & very underhand but still a pretty big kick in the teeth when jobs are scarce & competition extreme!
    it is what it is.

agencies sometimes might offer someone a contract to take him out of current role so they can place someone else in.
    do they already have people placed at current client?

did any of you offer references just yet?

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

that's the business. some agencies are better, some are not.

I would personally not engage with any of the ones on here: (and I've had some desperate moments in the past)

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...in-the-uk.html

also: you do not stop looking until your posterior is on the seat at the client.
    market is picking up but you could have done work and realised in 2m time(30 days payment schedule) that they are not very likely to do it.
    Yes your correct but also if HCL dangle the carrot telling you to start on a specific date then go radio silent at the last possible moment is as expected from these people I know & very underhand but still a pretty big kick in the teeth when jobs are scarce & competition extreme!

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Yeah as sh$$ as it is. What you have to expect.

But as already said here HCL best avoided I am afraid.

I have worked with people who were contract to them who every week were chasing for payment. Consider you have dodged a bullet.

And never resign from an active contract to go somewhere else, unless you hate it. Never know when you need to go back trust me.

As you have now potential annoyed your old client.

Good luck and welcome to the bench. At least it is sunny.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Calithed0g View Post
    I was offered a new contract with HCL working for one of their end clients. Gave my notice on previous contract as it was near to end date anyway. Role was 100% remote and was due to start on 14th June. Inside IR35 role and all paperwork including contract had been sorted out with Umbrella company.

Came to the end of last week and still not had any details regarding the start of the engagement on Monday 14th. This afternoon (Tuesday 15th) I get told by agency that apparently HCL has put the role on hold and my services are no longer required, one day after my supposed start date which is stated in my contract.

What should I do here? As I see it I should at least be given notice and paid for the notice period that was in the contract as they have only told me of their change of plans after the start date of the contract.

I had my reservations from the start, only reason I felt more confident is that it was through an established agency that I had worked through in the past. Will never accept any offer to work for HCL again.
    You won't be given notice and you'll receive nothing. This isn't an issue peculiar to HCL it's a fundamental point of most contracts. If there's no work, you don't get paid. If you were opted in you might have a chance of a claim but that's unlikely to be fruitful.

That said, having worked via HCL - directly and via an agency who converted their crap contracts into something more palatable, they are pretty naff and don't really have a clue.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Hmm similar to my story with HCL and exact same dates as well! I am starting to think that HCL are playing games here getting UK contractors lined up then trying to find alternatives from outside UK at a way lower rate..............!
    that's the business. some agencies are better, some are not.

I would personally not engage with any of the ones on here: (and I've had some desperate moments in the past)

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...in-the-uk.html

also: you do not stop looking until your posterior is on the seat at the client.
    market is picking up but you could have done work and realised in 2m time(30 days payment schedule) that they are not very likely to do it.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Hmm similar to my story with HCL and exact same dates as well! I am starting to think that HCL are playing games here getting UK contractors lined up then trying to find alternatives from outside UK at a way lower rate..............!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X