• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What would you do?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would you do?"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by ascender View Post
    ... if you'd started a new contract and its become clear that the scope of work you've been asked to deliver is very much a poisoned chalice and you're on a hiding to nothing in terms of expectations with senior stakeholders, to the point where you're beginning to think you're going to be the scapegoat?

Very honest chat with your client to say its not what was represented in the interview and as such you think its best for both to look for someone else?

Or just tough it out because its all billable
    Two key things for me if I was in your situation:

1/ I am in charge of delivery and have a remit to deliver.

If so, then it's up to me to review the deliverable, the cast/crew, the kit, etc. If there's no project plan, there's your chance to pull one together to manage expectations. If it's going to be longer than they expected, tell them why. Don't be negative, be assertive about it. Behave as a firefighter, not a scapegoat. You're being pitched in as an expert to save them paying OTT for big four consultancy to charge who knows how many times as much. Think about the project triangle and explain that something has to give. It's only a walk-away moment if all three points are fixed. See it as a chance to shine and you become their go-to contractor and can charge accordingly in future.

2/ I am not in charge but I know it's likely to go south.

Articulate your concerns positively to your hiring manager, basing them on previous experience or tech articles as appropriate. They've not brought you in as a bum on a seat, they've brought you in to deliver and apply your contracting experience. If you don't feel you are being listened to, at least you have your concerns documented - keep one eye on the market though.

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    This is a situation where a face-2-face with the manager would be a plus, preferably over a beer. It would enable you to pivot the conversation to how it affects him / her, and how you want to make sure a solution is provided that makes them look good. Especially so if the manager is a political animal. As GJABS commented, we are just highly paid NPCs.
    Last edited by lecyclist; 30 April 2021, 14:30. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    If they've hired you to be the fall guy, then maybe accept that is what you're being paid to be.
    You're an actor on a stage, nothing is really real as a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    If you're brought in mid contract then something went wrong, either they haven't resourced enough, they figured out they don't have the appropriate resource, you need to come in to fix someone's mess, or someone left (probably because it's a tulip show).

My current contract I was 3rd contractor, first 2 just couldn't figure it out. Part of this was due to unrealistic expectations of client who think they know everything due to one of their senior managers very minor involvement in a similar project at a previous employer (different industry and resourced differently). Project is/was a mess but I've been billing for over a year now, sure we were 6 months late (partially due to covid, partially due to what the previous 2 messed up) and delivered half the scope but being honest about everything with the client from the start has helped a lot. I told them from the beginning one key part of the project they wanted done wasn't going to work, and they still wanted to go ahead, that failed and didn't end up going live with it. Sure they weren't happy about that, but I didn't get the blame for it because I told them from the start it wasn't going to work and it was their decision to proceed not mine.

Leave a comment:

• GitMaster69
    replied
    ... if you'd started a new contract and its become clear that the scope of work you've been asked to deliver is very much a poisoned chalice and you're on a hiding to nothing in terms of expectations with senior stakeholders, to the point where you're beginning to think you're going to be the scapegoat?

Very honest chat with your client to say its not what was represented in the interview and as such you think its best for both to look for someone else?

Just milk the contract if you need dosh. Move on if you don’t

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Stop thinking like an employee and/or taking it personally. You're there as a business delivering a service. If there are impediments on the client side that mean you cannot deliver that service, you have a right/responsibility to highlight those to your client and work with them to come up with a plan to make the work successful.

However, from what you're saying, I suspect the client sees you as an employee.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Manage the situation and expectations and if that doesn't work consider your position. In the meantime keep invoicing.

Admittedly this is easy for someone external to the situation to say.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    depends on a lot of factors. I've been in a similar situation in the past and I regret not getting out of it earlier.

if you can get similar market rate somewhere else I would just keep head down and invoice before you can do the switch. they are usually more aware of the circumstances than you think.

depends on how much tolerance you have, no matter how seasoned you are, the way we are connected emotionally, if you feel that you are working towards a goal that is not realistic, can't see your purpose there, you have very high chances to burn out.

don't expect other people to care, in my case everyone above me was looking to get their yearly bonus and they would not let a pesky project get in their way so I was their fall guy for the project.

make sure that you keep detailed track of the conversations and try to have engage with relevant stakeholders around the business. from their reactions and approach you will most likely learn what they want out of you.

if you are in an outside role or fear of litigation make sure you have done due diligence and there is no way they can raise a case against your business. it's not very common but also not unheard of.

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    Not sure what your role is, or if there will be a PM who will manage the work but I'd make sure you document everything - the scope to start with, a detailed breakdown of the work, risks and issues, dependencies etc. Basically good project management.

Provide written reports regularly with updates to all those things and discuss in person with key stakeholders at least once a week, being entirely transparent about what is working and what might need escalating to achieve delivery.

If they're not going to engage with that approach or assist in removing obstacles that you can't, decide how much you need the role.
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do this weekend so at least I have control over my world if nothing else!

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Lance's suggestion is the TL;DR of mine

Generally, if you've got a complaint then also have a solution to hand because no-one likes a whiner
    A good life lesson for us all. Especially my kids with whom I'll share that nugget later!

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Not sure what your role is, or if there will be a PM who will manage the work but I'd make sure you document everything - the scope to start with, a detailed breakdown of the work, risks and issues, dependencies etc. Basically good project management.

Provide written reports regularly with updates to all those things and discuss in person with key stakeholders at least once a week, being entirely transparent about what is working and what might need escalating to achieve delivery.

If they're not going to engage with that approach or assist in removing obstacles that you can't, decide how much you need the role.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Lance's suggestion is the TL;DR of mine

Generally, if you've got a complaint then also have a solution to hand because no-one likes a whiner

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    Thanks for the posts, the point about taking emotion out of it is a very good bit of advice.

As to health and wellbeing, I'm pretty impervious to stressful work situations, I can separate that from personal life, but I can see already people are putting in some serious hours to keep things on the road.

Very good advice from both of you, thanks, just thought I'd get a quick reaction on here which is always good as a bit of a sanity check. And if nothing else I'm sure some of the future replies may be entertaining for us all.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

Make it a success. That's what I'd do.

Step 1 - management of expectations. Tell them the emperor has no clothes and give them a realistic expectation. If they don't like it or disagree that's when you walk. You're not the scapegoat, just the person who told them the inevitable.
    Step 2 - make it work.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    1: what's the market like in your line of business and how much of a warchest do you have? Knowing your position when a contract is going south is key.

2: difficult but take the emotion and personalities out of the situation. Try to look at everything as objectively as you can. Gather the evidence you need to illustrate the conclusion you've come to. Identify what solutions are needed. Based on #1 make sure you know what you're prepared to put up with and for how long as change could take time to implement if the client agrees with your solution. A bad contract can have serious implications for your health and wellbeing.

3: talk to the client in a professional manner and explain the situation and your proposal for remediation. Their reaction will tell you all you need to know to proceed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X