• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I get offer in writing, if so from whom?"

Collapse

• openshac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Who did you go with?
    I really wanted to go with Clarity but they could pay direct into my SIPP. Unfortunately this was a deal breaker for me.
    Shame as I had seen your recommendation and when I spoke with Lucy she was really knowledgeable and the service sounded top notch.

Went for Orange Genie in the end.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by openshac View Post
    Have signed up with the Umbrella and things seem to be moving nicely. Should get contract to view early next week.
    Who did you go with?

Leave a comment:

• openshac
    replied
    Have signed up with the Umbrella and things seem to be moving nicely. Should get contract to view early next week.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Are you serious? He just goes in on the PM's say when HR don't want to know?
    The OP wants a formal start date with confirmation of rate, copied to umbrella co. Whether that's an offer letter, confirmation of appointment or whatever, the name doesn't matter. If I was the OP, personally, I wouldn't wait. I'd push it hard, be nice to their HR and ask if they have a preferred set of umbrella cos they deal with. Research them and go with the best one and get the contact of the person in HR that the person in umbrella should work with. Email introduction to both of them, stating that you look forward to having your start date confirmed in due course.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Which is why the OP should waste no more time on this other than getting singed up to an Umbrella and getting them to sort the contract out with the client.
    Absolutely. Everything else is just fluff and glitter.
    Last edited by Lance; 9 April 2021, 14:50.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    This is one of the problems of going direct. I would be very suspicious that this is going anywhere as it is only the Purchasing dept who can arrange contracts.
    Which is why the OP should waste no more time on this other than getting singed up to an Umbrella and getting them to sort the contract out with the client.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This is one of the problems of going direct. I would be very suspicious that this is going anywhere as it is only the Purchasing dept who can arrange contracts.

Leave a comment:

• openshac
    replied

All contractual negotiations should go through the brolly as the the contract will be between them and the client. You only have a contractual relationship with the brolly as an employeed.
    Yes this makes sense. It's guess it's analgous to an IR35 gig where contract and negotiations are direct with the recruitment agent.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

No. That would be ridiculous.
    A formal offer is just a letter that comes before a contract. It might give you a warm fuzzy feeling but is for permies.
    A contract is far more useful. A formal offer is utterly meaningless in the real world.
    Well I beg to differ. The OP has a mail from a PM saying they are wanted. A formal offer is miles ahead of the situation they are in. The fact they have a formal offer that the client is likely to honour rather than an email from someone at the bottom of the pecking order is much more meaningful. Not the holy grail for sure but it's far better than emails or word of mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

No. That would be ridiculous.
    A formal offer is just a letter that comes before a contract. It might give you a warm fuzzy feeling but is for permies.
    A contract is far more useful. A formal offer is utterly meaningless in the real world.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Sign up for a brolly, tell them the client details and they will get their contract sorted out with the client. Don't start until the Umbrella says you're fully onboarded.

You'll soon find of if there's a disconnect between the PM and HR.

In the meantime, keep looking for other roles.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    why do you want a formal offer? What do you think it gives you?

Just find an umbrella and get the contracts done.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by openshac View Post
    I was offered a job directly from the project manager at a large end client. This happened without any involvement from HR etc.
    The end client use an external HR Agency to do all their hiring.
    The role must be fulfilled using an Umbrella company.

As it stands, I haven't actually received a formal offer in writing (only an informal email from the project manager say yes, we'd love to have you at £xxx pd)
    I have asked numerous times for a formal offer in writing.

The HR agency are not willing to provide the offer, they keep coming up a with different reasons why they can't do this, e.g. we weren't involved in the hiring process, you haven't engaged an umbrella company yet, ...

The project manager says, I'll speak with HR, and round in circles we go.
    The end client has started sending me onboarding emails etc. but again I have received no offer.

Couple of questions
    • Is it reasonable to expect a formal offer in writing from the end client?
    • Do I first need to engage/pay an Umbrella and get them to send me the offer?
    Apologies if a dumb question, new to brollie working - thanks.
    All contractual negotiations should go through the brolly as the the contract will be between them and the client. You only have a contractual relationship with the brolly as an employeed. If you really think this is gonna come off you could do with getting a brolly sharpish so it doesn't delay anything. Speak to Lucy at Clarity Umbrella. She's small enough to be quick and get a personal service but still FCSA approved.

Of course it is reasonable to get a formal offer. Many would argue it's essential. How are you going to get paid if there is an issue? The PM doesn't have the authority to engage and pay you. Even in small companies this is unusual. Does the fact HR won't make an offer not worry you? It would me. You start work, put time sheet in, people above PM says we aren't paying you. What are you going to do then?

Until you have something in writing with agreed rate, all payment conditions and possibly an SDS you do nothing. Hoping a PM's word is going to stand vs HR who don't want to deal with you is a bit silly really.

Get your terms clearly laid out before you do a thing but in the meantime action anything HR put in the way i.e. get a brolly ready etc.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    why do you want a formal offer? What do you think it gives you?

Just find an umbrella and get the contracts done.

Leave a comment:

• openshac
    started a topic Should I get offer in writing, if so from whom?

Should I get offer in writing, if so from whom?

I was offered a job directly from the project manager at a large end client. This happened without any involvement from HR etc.
    The end client use an external HR Agency to do all their hiring.
    The role must be fulfilled using an Umbrella company.

As it stands, I haven't actually received a formal offer in writing (only an informal email from the project manager say yes, we'd love to have you at £xxx pd)
    I have asked numerous times for a formal offer in writing.

The HR agency are not willing to provide the offer, they keep coming up a with different reasons why they can't do this, e.g. we weren't involved in the hiring process, you haven't engaged an umbrella company yet, ...

The project manager says, I'll speak with HR, and round in circles we go.
    The end client has started sending me onboarding emails etc. but again I have received no offer.

Couple of questions
    • Is it reasonable to expect a formal offer in writing from the end client?
    • Do I first need to engage/pay an Umbrella and get them to send me the offer?
    Apologies if a dumb question, new to brollie working - thanks.

Working...
X