• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Consultancy cutting rates by 40%"

Collapse

• GitMaster69
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Lots of contracts at the moment that used to be in the 500-600 pd range, now advertised in the 300-350 range, one agnecy called me if I was interested at 250
    I say yes to all of them as some income is better then none and I will dump them as soon as rates go up again.

The same happened with perm roles, where I saw 90k last year I see now 60k max
    I did that but the moment I say to an agent I'm in a contract they lose interest completely. I say that in current climate jumping is not possible

Leave a comment:

• LadyPenelope
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Really? Any evidence of that or just your own personal desires - any sane consultancy will be using a fixed percentage with the agency especially in this market where agencies are looking for new work...
    Personal experience, actually. This was done to me in a previous downturn. I thought the client was underpaying me till I saw the agency invoice. Quite a lot off a daily rate for 8 months.

Not clear why it would relate to my 'personal desires'. Bizarre phrase to use under the circumstances. Currently working on a decent rate.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
    Maybe work 60% as hard as you normally would? I suspect the agent may be taking a bigger-than-usual cut also, they would see the current climate as the perfect chance to do this and blame the client.

It also depends on how much you'd resent that sort of rate. Or if there's any marketable experience to be gained there that you can use in future contracts.
    Really? Any evidence of that or just your own personal desires - any sane consultancy will be using a fixed percentage with the agency especially in this market where agencies are looking for new work...

Leave a comment:

• LadyPenelope
    replied
    Maybe work 60% as hard as you normally would? I suspect the agent may be taking a bigger-than-usual cut also, they would see the current climate as the perfect chance to do this and blame the client.

It also depends on how much you'd resent that sort of rate. Or if there's any marketable experience to be gained there that you can use in future contracts.

Leave a comment:

• AnthonyQuinn
    replied
    Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
    Market rates in my skill set contracts haven't gone down by 40%.
    10-15% at the most.
    That is rubbish. The fact that you (and i suppose others) went in for an interview at 40% below previous rate means that rates have gone down by 40%.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    If it was a decent rate originally and you can now strip costs from your revenue - costs = profit equation then 60% of good rate is better than 100% of no rate. Up to you how much you need the work and would get bored staying at home. Take it but keep actively looking is the third way.

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    That's good news. Simple solution is therefore to decline this contract and go and get one that is just 10-15% below your normal rate.
    Bizarre the OP started this thread saying rate for this job had been cut by 40% below the norm, later posted rates for their discipline havent been cut by 40% but is still going ahead with the application for the 40% lower role they first posted about!

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    10-15% at the most.
    That's good news. Simple solution is therefore to decline this contract and go and get one that is just 10-15% below your normal rate.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    This was my suspicion also.
    But how can I find out?
    What can you do about it if you do?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    But how can I find out?
    There's no need, it is irrelevant to your decision. Either the client is taking advantage of you or the consultancy is, it makes no difference.

i.e. if the consultancy isn't trying to cut your rate then it means the client is and "pocketing" the difference.

The question you need to ask yourself is what are your chances if you refuse whether the client or consultancy can find an alternative.

The way I do this is to calculate how long I would require to find a contract at a better rate and compare 6 months on a low rate with 2-3 months on a higher rate.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    10-15% at the most.
    And are the number of contracts available the same? Are all your fellow contractors working

You may nit pick all you like it but someone has said the new market rate for your skills is 60% of what it was earlier this year. We don't know that market and I actually don't think you do.

Hint in my field rates are down yet everyone I know has more work than they can cope with
    Last edited by eek; 7 November 2020, 13:48.

Leave a comment:

• CountryGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Yeah doesn't matter though. They are purchasing labour at market rates.

If they were buying bricks and the price of bricks went down 50% but their customers were still buying bricks from them at same price do you think they'd go to their brick suppliers and say "no please charge us more we are happy paying the price from last year"
    10-15% at the most.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    But how can I find out?
    You can't unless the consultancy confirms it - but being blunt does it matter - do you want money coming in or can you sit on the bench with an evaporating skill set for longer as I suspect we are under lock down now until next year.

Leave a comment:

• CountryGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    It's important to understand whether it is the consultancy or agency who is cutting he rate.
    This may well be an agent looking to increase margins.
    But how can I find out?

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    It's important to understand whether it is the consultancy or agency who is cutting he rate.
    This may well be an agent looking to increase margins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X