• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "contract to permanent"

Collapse

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I've always been renewed on merit, but it doesn't hurt to be liked rather than a necessity. Being generous and being liked means you can then get away with virtually anything because people trust you.

It's the same reason I talk to security guards and receptionists, keep everyone sweet, always be polite and life is easier all round.

And it also means you get the freebies (I spent 6 months with a crap PM, who always ended up in crap hotel rooms while I was always upgraded. But he was a pain and demanding and I was always nice).
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    It's also just the decent thing to do.
    Being liked by the client is surely just common sense as it generates goodwill? I made a few small individual donations to an ongoing charity event that my client was running in the run up to my contract coming to an end where I had been told I wouldn't be extended. I helped out with something personal for the client manager and out of the blue I was asked if I would be interested in staying a bit longer. I managed to squeeze two months extra work out of it.

All other things being equal, it can only be good for your prospects.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    Place I’m at now doesn’t even have free coffee or fruit.
    Worst place I've been for this reason was a company called Aegon up in Edinburgh. No free coffee, no kitchen area, no kettles, nothing at all.

If you wanted a coffee or a tea it was canteen or nothing. I still remember people wanting to make their own tea so they'd bring their tea bag, get a cup of hot water with a splash of milk from the canteen and get charged something like 30p for it.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    I've always been renewed on merit, but it doesn't hurt to be liked rather than a necessity. Being generous and being liked means you can then get away with virtually anything because people trust you.

It's the same reason I talk to security guards and receptionists, keep everyone sweet, always be polite and life is easier all round.

And it also means you get the freebies (I spent 6 months with a crap PM, who always ended up in crap hotel rooms while I was always upgraded. But he was a pain and demanding and I was always nice).
    It's also just the decent thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    I've always prefered to be renewed based on merit, not on how much I've licked someone's a*se

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    I've always prefered to be renewed based on merit, not on how much I've licked someone's a*se
    Then you have a lot to learn on how important relationships and colleagues are to your success

Leave a comment:

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    To be the generous one when renewal comes round and the budget can only pay for a single renewal.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm quite happy to buy a round; just don't get the opportunity these days

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    There used to an eleventh commandment on this forum that contractors always picked up the beer tabs and treated the client and perms well for exactly three reason eek gave.

As more people became contractors and rates got reduced I think this has been forgotten

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Why?
    To be the generous one when renewal comes round and the budget can only pay for a single renewal.

Leave a comment:

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Seriously any self respecting contractor would buy Costa coffee for the whole team and if times were bad have to buy a £50 nspresso machibe
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Hahahaha. You remind me of a contractor I worked with who used to steal food from the fridge and took toilet roll home from the office. ?

Stationery cupboard also always raided by him. It was hilarious

Seriously any self respecting contractor would buy Costa coffee for the whole team and if times were bad have to buy a £50 nspresso machibe
    I always buy coffee for the entire team in my 2000 square foot office. Sadly it’s just me. I hate this year.

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    Hahahaha. You remind me of a contractor I worked with who used to steal food from the fridge and took toilet roll home from the office. ?

Stationery cupboard also always raided by him. It was hilarious

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied

The comment a out free beer at jp must be a joke. Hardly a benefit to get a free beer on a Friday
    On Friday afternoons we weren’t expected to work. Just eat snacks and drink beer (being paid contract rates). So free £500 + unlimited beers, a bit of a benefit.

Sadly it went down from weekly to once a fortnight, now gone completely AFAIK.

Place I’m at now doesn’t even have free coffee or fruit.

(Not sure why I care, but I resent paying for coffee when THEY’RE the ones who want me to stay awake)

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied

1 is actually very important - the one phrase that will scare HR more than an post April 2020 IR35 investigation is an Equal Pay claim....
    But why would they pay more? If it’s because I could scam them for equal pay and redundancy pay, then why don’t I take the direct job and just do that?

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Care to explain this area interest me a lot

I know others who went on the Morgan Stanley grad scheme and spent five months in New York for a fully paid classroom training programme. With corp apartment etc. Not bad for a 22 year old.

So what was wrong with jp?

The comment a out free beer at jp must be a joke. Hardly a benefit to get a free beer on a Friday
    JPM is a huge organisation so experiences may vary. Mine was very much chained to the desk type environment (being away from my desk for more than 15 mins would raise eyebrows), 12hr shifts, heavy surveillance and extreme micromanagement.

I remember one time, one of the VP's in our team got bollocked by an MD because his stocks were "too bright" and he deemed it unprofessional.

Apart from that it wasn't too bad, we used have grilled swordfish for lunch.
    Last edited by sira; 23 October 2020, 20:22.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X