• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Interview apparel

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview apparel"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    I like to be naked from the waist down so I can play with my bits during the interview.....

Leave a comment:

• David71
    replied
    Got an NCIA video interview later today. Will get the same as any other interview, quick brush of the hair and a (fairly) crease free polo shirt.

Under the desk....pair of shorts and bare feet

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    Just make sure you are not nude. That's all.

So, what was the question again? Is it from a newbie contractor?
    Apparently one of the Universities that went to on-line lectures earlier in the year had to e-mail students reminding them they had to put close on when joining lectures.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Just make sure you are not nude. That's all.

So, what was the question again? Is it from a newbie contractor?

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    A tie conveys the message "I care a lot about things that don't matter, and probably not enough about things that do"

True confidence is shown by wearing - and doing - what you want.
    Really? Looking presentable and speaking well go a long way. Having pride in your appearance shows more confidence than looking like a depressed out of work kid.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Alternatively, the interviewer wanted to prove to other people that they weren't joking when he told them someone actually turned up for a Zoom interview with a man bun
    Possible. I'll blame the man bun if I don't get the job

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Had 1 zoom interview some days ago and I was wearing a blue polo shirt. The only effort I made was to put my hair up in a man bun but just because I look like Charles Manson if I don't. Got invited to a second interview already so I know dress code is no issue.
    Alternatively, the interviewer wanted to prove to other people that they weren't joking when he told them someone actually turned up for a Zoom interview with a man bun

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Between beard and long hair I currently can choose from:

- Man bun, which makes me look like a w4nker
    - Pony tail, which makes me look like a paedo/bulgarian java developer
    - Untied hair, which makes me look like Charles Manson or Jim Morrison before he died

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    I wore suit and tie at interviews only at the beginning of my career when I was in my 20's. Didn't have anything else to offer so couldn't afford to be scruffy.

The older I get, the less I care about dress code. I just let my work and experience speak for itself. Jeans and shirt is as far as I push it.

Had 1 zoom interview some days ago and I was wearing a blue polo shirt. The only effort I made was to put my hair up in a man bun but just because I look like Charles Manson if I don't. Got invited to a second interview already so I know dress code is no issue.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    I wore suit and tie at interviews only at the beginning of my career when I was in my 20's. Didn't have anything else to offer so couldn't afford to be scruffy.

The older I get, the less I care about dress code. I just let my work and experience speak for itself. Jeans and shirt is as far as I push it.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I guess it depends on the industry and your experience but I think I have a different mindset if I'm smartly dressed. So even if I were on an audio only interview, I would still be smartly dressed if only to help me become the more professional version of myself.
    Surly women just need to decide

Boobs out on display or boobs hidden

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Bloody fashion guru!
    Not any more...

And anyway, when the current generation of team leaders grow up in a few more years and start hiring, none of it will matter anyway and candidates will be wearing nappies and rompers!

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    A tie conveys the message "I care a lot about things that don't matter, and probably not enough about things that do"

True confidence is shown by wearing - and doing - what you want.

Leave a comment:

• JamesC34
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Suited & booted for interviews, always, unless specifically told otherwise.
    Yep.

I had an interview last week and got the job.

None of my interviewers were suited and booted, but I was. It felt right and I didn't regret it - I was the one who needed to impress after all. They need to think how this person will look representing the company in future.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    What you wear is largely irrelevant. How you wear it is the important bit.
    Bloody fashion guru!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X