• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting in Portugal"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Do you have the citizenship of an EU country, if not then you won't be moving anywhere after 1/1/2021 as freedom of movement has been curtailed for just this type of thing?
    Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight
    If it's not too dear
    We shall scrimp and save.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Do you have the citizenship of an EU country, if not then you won't be moving anywhere after 1/1/2021 as freedom of movement has been curtailed for just this type of thing?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Not very helpful as they never answered my recent queries.

As for the OP this is a typical one post OP, posts question and disappears forever
    Oh. That's a shame. I've never needed to deal with them. Maybe Sue was the only helpful person there then...

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sue has moved on from IPAYE but that doesn't mean IPAYE are no longer helpful

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...umstances.html
    Not very helpful as they never answered my recent queries.

As for the OP this is a typical one post OP, posts question and disappears forever

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

Worth talking to IPAYE. Sue posts here often and is very helpful.
    Sue has moved on from IPAYE but that doesn't mean IPAYE are no longer helpful

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...umstances.html

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And if you gig is cut short for whatever reason you do what?

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Correct.

However, other advantages may come through dependent on specific location within; cheaper living, better living, etc.
    Better weather and lifestyle might be a factor. However, I didn't think Lisbon was a particularly exciting place to work based on my 9 month spell there back in the early 2000s. It might have changed a lot since but it wouldn't be near the top of my list of European cities to relocate to.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It is correct that you should be paying tax in Portugal. You shouldn't remain an employee of an Irish based umbrella, and there should be no tax implications in Ireland, unless you were to commute.

The way to handle would be register yourself as self-employed or setup a company in Portugal and bill the agency or client. You would need to discuss this with an accountant in Portugal.

Agree with the above, you can contact Sue at IPAYE:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ief-guide.html

A key point is you can't decide where you will be taxed, it is determined by where you carry out the work.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 September 2020, 13:20.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    If you are still working via the Irish Umbrella company (and you will because if the end client / agency won't want any additional risk) you aren't going to see the tax advantages.

You are an employee.....
    Correct.

However, other advantages may come through dependent on specific location within; cheaper living, better living, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkDublin40 View Post
    Hi - i currently live and work in Dublin as an I.T contractor - umbrella company. With the advent of working from home I am seriously considering the possibility of relocating to Lisbon - and continue working as I presently am. The only thing that would change would be the geography - id still remain with the same company.

Would anyone have experience of doing something similar? What i'm trying to ascertain is the tax advantages - how much tax would I save by relocating and paying tax in Portugal rather than Ireland.

Can anyone recommend a Lisbon based accountant who would have experience in this type of thing?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks
    Before you consider how much tax you're going to save, what structures are you going to use? Are you going to use your current Irish brolly ("Real" Umbrella" or Director's Umbrella) and run a payroll in Portugal paying Prortuguese taxes? Or will you set up a Portuguese company or use a Portuguese brolly and contract with the Irish client / agency (which they may not want to do)?

Worth talking to IPAYE. Sue posts here often and is very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    If you are still working via the Irish Umbrella company (and you will because if the end client / agency won't want any additional risk) you aren't going to see the tax advantages.

You are an employee.....

Leave a comment:

• MarkDublin40
    started a topic Contracting in Portugal

Contracting in Portugal

Hi - i currently live and work in Dublin as an I.T contractor - umbrella company. With the advent of working from home I am seriously considering the possibility of relocating to Lisbon - and continue working as I presently am. The only thing that would change would be the geography - id still remain with the same company.

Would anyone have experience of doing something similar? What i'm trying to ascertain is the tax advantages - how much tax would I save by relocating and paying tax in Portugal rather than Ireland.

Can anyone recommend a Lisbon based accountant who would have experience in this type of thing?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Working...
X