• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "recommended umbrella please?"

Collapse

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    FWIW Lucy is 100% sound, and I'd be amazed if her business didn't stack up against the best of the best in that group on compliance.
    Thanks Andy that is much appreciated

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Just thinking laterally for a mo, why not put a bunch of volunteers on the payroll on minimum wage and selectively up your fees to cover them - say to about minimum wage less £25...?
    Love the thinking but loads of technicalities with the contract of employment on that front

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    It's a double-edged sword. The FCSA have at last provided a kitemark for what was a pretty shambolic industry. As a buyer (which I was) it makes it easy to just go with a FCSA accredited company as to paraphrase the old adage, nobody gets fired for choosing an FCSA brolly.

That said it does create a Chicken & Egg situation for new entrants.

FWIW Lucy is 100% sound, and I'd be amazed if her business didn't stack up against the best of the best in that group on compliance.
    Last edited by Andy Hallett; 30 March 2020, 10:44.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Just thinking laterally for a mo, why not put a bunch of volunteers on the payroll on minimum wage and selectively up your fees to cover them - say to about minimum wage less £25...?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    Thank you, you lot are awesome, but it is live numbers that are being payrolled. Just hoping that some of the agencies see the light and risk they are putting contractors at by putting them all through one company!
    Most of them can't see past their nose let alone something like that.Sadly all they see is the kick back and the patter from FCSA.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Yep. The FCSA cartel is definitely an old boys club.

What actually counts as "being on the books" I wonder. I'd be more than happy to sign up to bump up the numbers but just not put any contracts through as I don't need a brolly at the moment.
    Thank you, you lot are awesome, but it is live numbers that are being payrolled. Just hoping that some of the agencies see the light and risk they are putting contractors at by putting them all through one company!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No. Its the FCSA screwing her and anyone else starting umbrellas. You have to have a minimum number of employees and pay 11k+ to have a review before you can get approved. Problem is they are selling themselves as the only safe certification for brollies so no one will allow non FCSA brollies hence she can't get the numbers.

I've never seen anything like it. What professional body sets the bar so high that it kills off any new growth and excludes anyone else joining.
    I don't think it was the £11k that was annoying - it's the fact they then wanted another £11k 3 months later due to the way systems work that really annoys her....

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Yep. The FCSA cartel is definitely an old boys club.

What actually counts as "being on the books" I wonder. I'd be more than happy to sign up to bump up the numbers but just not put any contracts through as I don't need a brolly at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I saw a post from her recently complaining that she can't get on some PSLs because she doesn't have enough contractors on her books - and can't get contractors on her books because Clarity is not on the PSL...
    No. Its the FCSA screwing her and anyone else starting umbrellas. You have to have a minimum number of employees and pay 11k+ to have a review before you can get approved. Problem is they are selling themselves as the only safe certification for brollies so no one will allow non FCSA brollies hence she can't get the numbers.

I've never seen anything like it. What professional body sets the bar so high that it kills off any new growth and excludes anyone else joining.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Lucy has some kind of interim approval as she is going through the process that had satisfied some agencies
    I saw a post from her recently complaining that she can't get on some PSLs because she doesn't have enough contractors on her books - and can't get contractors on her books because Clarity is not on the PSL...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Aloha1 View Post
    thanks .they have to be FCSA Approved.
    Lucy has some kind of interim approval as she is going through the process that had satisfied some agencies

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Do you have any other requirements?

Salary sacrifice
    Same day payment
    Child care vouchers
    Etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Child care vouchers??? They were binned a while back when the system changed.

Electric Lease cars via salary sacrifice is where it's at at the moment..

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Aloha1 View Post
    Do you have any other requirements?

Salary sacrifice
    Same day payment
    Child care vouchers
    Etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Aloha1
    replied
    Do you have the choice who to go with? Do they have to be FCSA approved? Will you be presented with a list when you submit your choice?

If you've got free reign then speak to Lucy at Clarity Umbrella. She's posted on here for years and has provided a lot of invaluable advice and I have been an employee of hers in the past.

They also have a great uncapped pension offering so can use that to minimise your tax if you have a warchest from the Ltd or don't need all the income.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Do you have the choice who to go with? Do they have to be FCSA approved? Will you be presented with a list when you submit your choice?

If you've got free reign then speak to Lucy at Clarity Umbrella. She's posted on here for years and has provided a lot of invaluable advice and I have been an employee of hers in the past.

They also have a great uncapped pension offering so can use that to minimise your tax if you have a warchest from the Ltd or don't need all the income.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X