• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vector Resourcing - Contract terms raise red flags- has anyone experience with them"

Collapse

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Glad I've now read this thread so I know better next time they call.

Had my first experience of dealing with them today...

The agent gave very little info about the role but wanted to know a great deal about me. No JD to share, just 20 mins on the phone quizzing me about my experience of certain things. At the end I was asked about something I had less experience with and it was basically "OK, thank you", <click>

Total time waster.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Ah the old 25 questions trick, hey?

We've all been there.

qh

Leave a comment:

• HarryDat
    replied
    Vector Resourcing Avoid!!

Hi Folks,

Just saw this thread when searching on google and had to write my own review of this terrible company. (Please note I don't really know much about contracting...I was 25 years old at the time of the event)

Back in 2016 Vector Resourcing approached me Linkedin as I recently had passed a completed a new course that Comptia was rolling out.

Vector said they had a company who wanted practice exam questions written with answers, I told Vector I had never contracted before and was working full time. Immediately I was told they would pay me £850 for writing 25 questions, and in total they needed 100 questions. I was advised I could do this work whenever I wanted to as long as I got them the first 25 questions within 14 days.

I therefore went through the process of contacting an umbrella company and setting my self up as a contractor. A few days later the contracts came through from Vector and clearly said £850 for 25 questions and each payment would be sent once the 25 questions were completed.

I was super excited to able to start this project and after around 16 hours work I had the first 25 questions completed, I sent this off to Vector and several days later they came back with a number of changes.

I was told the work I did was "sub-standard" and did not reflect "real test questions" I went back to them and told them I had just passed the exam and have done several Comptia exams therefore I knew what was expected of me. One of the main issues was apparently I did not provide enough details in why the answer I had chosen was correct, Vector wanted me to write pages and pages on why Options A / B / C were wrong and D was the correct one.

They also wanted the questions to be in case study format with several of text for each question....I told them several times for Comptia exams there are no case study questions its simple one line sentence with multiple choice answers.

After going backwards and forwards with Vector I told them I didn't have the time to do the work (as they kept refusing my work) they then said they would be taking legal action against me for failing to meet the terms of the contract. They told me the only way to avoid this was to make another set of 25 questions and state legally "Vector resourcing" would have copyright of my work.

I foolishly agreed to this as Vector resourcing were ringing me every 2 hours and kept threatening me with legal action. I sent them an email stating that I had agreed to give them the rights to my 50 questions in total that I had written on the basis they would not take me to court. I received no reply to this email and despite trying to ring them nothing!

I later found out this is how the project was given to Vector

Me ---> Vector (Sub Contractor Company 1)----> European company (Sub Contractor Company 2) ----> US Company (Subcontractor Company 3) ---------> End Client (Poland)

It became clear after speaking to someone else who was also hired by Vector to complete this project that the two companies in the middle European and US could not agree on the standard of questions, as Vector were the last company in the line the feedback was getting mixed up and I was being told the wrong messages.

Anyway just my thoughts but I've learnt my lesson and will be staying well away from Vector (oh as you can imagine I got no payment for what I believe were 50 perfectly written questions with answers!).

Leave a comment:

• JohnM
    replied
    If an agency asks you to work on monthy pay with 45 day terms walk away

If you start work at the start of the month they could owe you around £25000 on an average day rate

Ask them would they give you £25000 worth of credit and tell them to p*ss off

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    I did a lot of work of these guys 15 years ago.
    They were certainly a lot better than this.
    Paid on 7 day terms and no aggravation.
    I would steer well clear now based on all of the above.

Leave a comment:

• SWick
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Late commercial payments: charging interest and debt recovery - GOV.UK

If I were you, I would quote this to them, giving them 7 days to pay. Then send letter before action and start legal proceedings or engage with Safe Collections, whichever is your preferred route. I would go with the form if they are strategic late payers.

Also, ask the client if they've paid the final invoice.
    Will do, thanks all for the advice. I was thinking of using the small claims process as the invoice is less than £10k.
    Last edited by SWick; 8 August 2020, 14:47. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by Doer Donna View Post
    I find them different in a odd way and found the recrutment consultant a bit forceful
    This why I find them odd is
    1. They insisted on a fixed daily rate at the start of discussion which seems low for the type of work (That said the now sometimes the agencies let you a lower day rate and invoice the client more)
    Donna, 1) please learn how to type correct English, it does help.

2) The highlighted bit - WTF? You invoice the agency, not the client.

IMHO you should run away from them, quite fast.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    The completion bonus in itself is not a problem.
    With all the additional information I’d be disinclined to work with them.

If you do take it you need a clear statement of work that defines the deliverables that trigger the completion bonus. And also some very clear rules in what constitutes them not paying it.

To be clear... 6 month contract of c. 110 days @ £25 per day is under £3k. So it’s unlikely they’ll bin you off just before the end if a 6 month extension was on the cards. That’s just not good business. You’ll get a feeling in the first few weeks if this is a genuine opportunity.
    But one argument I’d have is ‘you want to risk the entire 6 month contract for a measly £3k? What aren’t you telling me?’

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SWick View Post
    I took a contract with them this year. The 45 days issue was a surprise to me, but I could live with that. But watch out for a clause they pushed on me despite my wanting them to drop it which means I’m now left waiting for them to pay my final invoice for May. It was raised immediately and with client sign off, but this clause gives them the right to delay payment until after they have cleared funds from the client. I’m still waiting nearly 3 months after my final invoice.
    Late commercial payments: charging interest and debt recovery - GOV.UK

If you agree a payment date, it must usually be within 30 days for public authorities or 60 days for business transactions.

You can agree a longer period than 60 days for business transactions - but it must be fair to both businesses.
    If I were you, I would quote this to them, giving them 7 days to pay. Then send letter before action and start legal proceedings or engage with Safe Collections, whichever is your preferred route. I would go with the form if they are strategic late payers.

Also, ask the client if they've paid the final invoice.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SWick View Post
    I took a contract with them this year. The 45 days issue was a surprise to me, but I could live with that. But watch out for a clause they pushed on me despite my wanting them to drop it which means I’m now left waiting for them to pay my final invoice for May. It was raised immediately and with client sign off, but this clause gives them the right to delay payment until after they have cleared funds from the client. I’m still waiting nearly 3 months after my final invoice.
    I suspect the client has paid them already. Please check other threads referenced on this one.

Leave a comment:

• SWick
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mag
    replied
    I've recently just finished a contract with Vector and these are without a doubt one of the worst agencies I've had the misfortune of using. So far as to say, I would go out of my way to not apply for a role if it was advertised through these.

I would imagine a thorough review of their accounts would show 90% of their business costs would go on their legal team - it's all they care about. How best to stitch up the contract.

I was prudent enough to have some ridiculous clauses removed from my contract before signing (such as, we will not pay your final invoice until we have been paid by the client). They take months to pay expenses if you submit any, even if signed off the same day by client.

Their finance team are "email only" which means if they are late in paying anything, you're unable to get hold of anyone who can provide an answer. You get a standard response of "send them an email and they'll get back to you within 48 hours".

Personally, I will avoid these in the future.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Polite way of saying run away.
    Yes. Now I'm back at my computer, I thought I'd run a quick search on here...
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2170175

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ence-them.html

If you do choose to use them, I can recommend a solicitor who has had to deal with all their tricks. He's not cheap, but he is good.
    They sometimes make rash decisions, such as settling out of court the week before the case was to be heard, but failing to put terms in the settlement around discussing what they did and how bad they are.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Vector Resourcing?

Yes they have been going for a long time. I wonder if you searched this site for threads about them would you find anything about them lying to clients, lying to contractors, failing to pay and taking 25%+ in commission.
    Polite way of saying run away.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Vector Resourcing?

Yes they have been going for a long time. I wonder if you searched this site for threads about them would you find anything about them lying to clients, lying to contractors, failing to pay and taking 25%+ in commission.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X