• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Self employed-contractor-WFH"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    This has been answered.

Thread closed.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Cojak has already told you there is no law/regulation/HMRC thing that is causing this.

The client want you on site, end of story.

Yes they can do this.

No you cannot MAKE them let you WFH, regardless of how fair you think this is, or silly it is with modern day technology.
    self-isolation might help

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Dranzer View Post
    The work i do is all based on my laptop (given to me by the company)

All systems/softwares and programmes are on the laptop.... i take the laptop home with me everyday; i actually dont need to really be in the office if im completely honest.

Im not saying i want to WFH everyday; but as and when i see fit, i want to text/email the line manager and inform him ‘ill be wfh’ with no issues whatsoever.....

Im a ltd company

Day rate contractor

Through an agency (not an umbrella company)

The issue here is i want to know exactly what the issue is/outset regulation within the company and through hmrc so that i can construct an email to the company themselves).
    Cojak has already told you there is no law/regulation/HMRC thing that is causing this.

The client want you on site, end of story.

Yes they can do this.

No you cannot MAKE them let you WFH, regardless of how fair you think this is, or silly it is with modern day technology.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Into a sock(ie) I take it
    that's how I caught athlete's cock

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Rather than a text, send line manager a video of you w**king from home
    Into a sock(ie) I take it

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Rather than a text, send line manager a video of you w**king from home

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    I smell sockie.
    you can get cream for that.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    which company? Yours or your client's?

Details. Details.

I know the answer but you really do need to get on top of this stuff. Otherwise you're going to get ****ed by HMRC sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    So i am a self employed ltd company contractor
    Whilst possible to be both it seems very unlikely. Working for yourself - GOV.UK

Details are important for your other questions so make sure YOU know the facts and details about yourself.

Leave a comment:

• LetterBox
    replied
    Not sure this needs much resolving.

Has your line manager (for want of a better, more B2B word) ever seen your contract or have you signed some vanilla 'IR35' friendly thing from an agency? Does the agency contract to client and agency contract to you match? (Easy email to agency and document response).

What you'll probably find is the line manager has never seen the contract you signed, the contract will have a paragraph of 'can work elsewhere by agreement and where practicable'. The line manager will be difficult and say that is proof you need permission.

You need to have a good relationship with your client and explain the B2B nature, they are likely to say they got you on as part of the team and their answer stands. You then detail an email to explain that you will be on site for the remainder of the contract as this is most practical. You then leave ASAP.

Resolved. Case closed.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

All systems/softwares and programmes are on the laptop.... i take the laptop home with me everyday; i actually dont need to really be in the office if im completely honest.

Im not saying i want to WFH everyday; but as and when i see fit, i want to text/email the line manager and inform him ‘ill be wfh’ with no issues whatsoever.....

Im a ltd company

Day rate contractor

The issue here is i want to know exactly what the issue is/outset regulation within the company and through hmrc so that i can construct an email to the company themselves).
    You need to set WFH up in advance and it's clear you've already done things that will make that impossible s you've lost the trust of your end client. I'm sorry but WFH is not something a lot of clients want as if they did they would outsource it somewhere cheaper (like India, Bulgaria, Belarus)
    Last edited by eek; 10 March 2020, 09:15.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    I smell sockie.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

Im a ltd company

Day rate contractor

What's the question? I doesn't matter who's laptop it is (from a WFH perspective, anyway).

If you agreed to WFH with your client, then do it.

If you didn't, then don't expect just to be able to text/email them and say you are and expect them to agree to you billing for that day.

Did you get agreement from your client that you could WFH?

Leave a comment:

• Dranzer
    replied

Im a ltd company

Day rate contractor

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by cosmic View Post
    Some managers are stuck in the 90s and have little trust, some don't want contractors to work from home because employees would get upset as they see you as an employee. Some need to see you work and partly due to above (trust). Some is related to actual role.
    WFH is better than it has ever been in general, but these are the main reasons you will have pushback.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X