• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you could contract in any country, which would you choose?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The USA doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I was last there in 2012 and have absolutely no desire to return.

Now, Central and South America... Those are places I want to visit. Not so sure about emigrating though.
    I enjoy it a lot. I have an office there just outside of Washington DC and go over quite regularly but also work at customers over there so spend time in different cities. I have the offer of going over to live but that I don't really want to do unless it really comes down to it.

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    I know you asked this question to somebody else. However, I am an IT contractor who has owned a home here for 16.5 years.

For me, the island is perfect. I can grow stuff here I can never imagine outside a third world tropical country. Mangos, papayas, pineapples, I have a vast collection of exotic palms. I can almost grow a coconut tree (still trying - it's been fairly successful in Paphos Cyprus which is an identical climate to here).

Beaches - 8 beaches with slightly different personalities within 12 minutes of my house.

The city - I live in a village in the south but the city is quite cosmopolitan - lots of very good restaurants that are reasonably priced.

Overall, Greeks (I'm Canadian / British) have a high opinion of he island which, to them, has a lot of beauty not found elsewhere in the country and a much warmer climate than everywhere else (with the exceptions of Crete and Kastelorizo).
    for the same reason I'd do Crete, contracted in Australia for about 10 years, great gardening etc but certain places are parochial and backward - just my experience, I'm sure there are places that are similar all over the world

Leave a comment:

• herman_g
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Genuine question. Why Rhodes rather than the mainland?

We are seriously thinking about doing a 3 month trial in Athens as MrsB is studying for a Classics Degree an could transfer to the University there for a semester.
    I know you asked this question to somebody else. However, I am an IT contractor who has owned a home here for 16.5 years.

For me, the island is perfect. I can grow stuff here I can never imagine outside a third world tropical country. Mangos, papayas, pineapples, I have a vast collection of exotic palms. I can almost grow a coconut tree (still trying - it's been fairly successful in Paphos Cyprus which is an identical climate to here).

Beaches - 8 beaches with slightly different personalities within 12 minutes of my house.

The city - I live in a village in the south but the city is quite cosmopolitan - lots of very good restaurants that are reasonably priced.

Overall, Greeks (I'm Canadian / British) have a high opinion of he island which, to them, has a lot of beauty not found elsewhere in the country and a much warmer climate than everywhere else (with the exceptions of Crete and Kastelorizo).

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Trillionski View Post
    My accountant said he has a client who is on £1200 a day in the U.S. He has his accounts done in the UK and has said because his contract is from U.S he doesn't reside within IR35.

How does that one work out?
    I think you asked this on the wrong thread...

Leave a comment:

• Trillionski
    replied
    My accountant said he has a client who is on £1200 a day in the U.S. He has his accounts done in the UK and has said because his contract is from U.S he doesn't reside within IR35.

How does that one work out?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Greece (Rhodes, more specifically) or Australia!!!
    Genuine question. Why Rhodes rather than the mainland?

We are seriously thinking about doing a 3 month trial in Athens as MrsB is studying for a Classics Degree an could transfer to the University there for a semester.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Greece (Rhodes, more specifically) or Australia!!!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The USA doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I was last there in 2012 and have absolutely no desire to return.

Now, Central and South America... Those are places I want to visit. Not so sure about emigrating though.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    For a big, strong fella, you really are scared of your own shadow aren't you? MTFU dude, not everyone is out to get you
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Oh yes they are!
    they can join the queue then.
    @whorty - you are an arrogant, pompous twat, and you can feck right off!
    byby

and i really dislike the USA, for the record.
    two dimensional twats, most of them, and heavily armed.
    i felt safer in warzones.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    For a big, strong fella, you really are scared of your own shadow aren't you? MTFU dude, not everyone is out to get you
    Oh yes they are!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Wales butti
    Because it's made the you the man you are.....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Wales butti

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    yeh, - great place.
    full of heavily armed civilian god botherers and aryan supremacists.
    and everything in between.

feckin nightmare of a country.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Agree, salaries are way higher in the US. Everything else is good too, if you can afford it (which you mostly can as a skilled professional).
    yeh, - great place.
    full of heavily armed civilian god botherers and aryan supremacists.
    and everything in between.

feckin nightmare of a country.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by cloudninja View Post
    As an American, living my first 30 years there, and the past 20 years here, it is my well informed opinion that you have that completely backwards. Wages are higher there, everything else is worse.
    Agree, salaries are way higher in the US. Everything else is good too, if you can afford it (which you mostly can as a skilled professional).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X