• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Want to go for a different job at the same client - who to talk to"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The fact that all contractors go through one agency means the agent will be relaxed about switching roles. They'll be the ones providing the replacement contractor for your current role.

I would contact the manager and arrange an interview. Your current PM is the one who might be difficult.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 October 2019, 11:49.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Mind you, if the agency have sonmeone already in mind for that role, and have you lined up to stay where you are, they are going to be mightily annoyed if you screw that up....
    That would be a tragic outcome if the agency were to be annoyed, mightily or otherwise.

For all they would know, if OP is careful, it would be the client who screwed it up by approaching him. Besides, if the client likes the guy the agency provided well enough to ask him take another role, that's a feather in their cap, too. They'll probably get to fill the role he's leaving.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Ah, 'solicit', what a glorious word.

'I'm looking for a new contract, will you give me one?' That's soliciting.

'I noticed you've posted an interesting job.' That's idle chit-chat with an acquaintance (which, of course, the acquaintance may choose to take further ).
    hence why I suggest that the OP do exactly this.
    The agency aren't going to care as long you're not depriving them. The letter of the contract is different to the intention of the contract.

Mind you, if the agency have sonmeone already in mind for that role, and have you lined up to stay where you are, they are going to be mightily annoyed if you screw that up....

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    The contractor shall not solicit with the client.
    Ah, 'solicit', what a glorious word.

'I'm looking for a new contract, will you give me one?' That's soliciting.

'I noticed you've posted an interesting job.' That's idle chit-chat with an acquaintance (which, of course, the acquaintance may choose to take further ).

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    If you're not ripping people a new one, Then, and only then are you in the wrong forum...

Please carry on...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Jobs? Manager? Have I come to the wrong forum?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    My contracts have never said that ? My current one says I shouldn’t discuss rates - that’s it.
    every one of mine does. Not clearly worded though.

Here's an example. Key parts in bold. It goes on about getting written permission first..... but I got bored typing
    the contractor shall not, and shall procure that the erpresentative shall not, whether directly or indirectly through any company, partnership or person, solicit nor enter into any contract with the client or with any third party introduced to the contractior or the reopresentative by the client, to provide any services of the same or similar nature.........blah blah
    The contractor shall not solicit with the client.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    If you read your contract you will find that you are not allowed to have this discussion with the client.
    That's the formal position...

The reality is....
    Go to the other manager and tap him up informally. If he's interested in you then you go to the agent.
    Tell them you've been asked to consider some other work which you feel might be of interest but you want more money for it.
    The agency will then see that you've just made his life easier, and potentially even got him a bonus uplift. The rest is up to him.
    My contracts have never said that ? My current one says I shouldn’t discuss rates - that’s it.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    This will largely come down to the relationships you have with all these people.

Very difficult to assign a one-size-fits-all answer to this sort of question without the knowing the characters involved.

To keep above board, I'd start with the agency, if only to potentially mitigate any ruffled feathers. Of course, your bunch of people may have unruffleable feathers so, bash on.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
    I am currently working with an organisation that uses mainly one recruitment company (that hired me) and the contract is up at the end of the year. (I did not start any renegotiations/extension talks yet)

I see a new job ad for a contract from this same recruitment company, which I know (from the description) is in the same company I work in now but in a different department. The job looks more interesting (and inline with my exp), and I want to go for it.

Who is best to talk to about it?

- My manager in current role?
    - The job ad has a number so I could call them to find out more? (but do they keep these chats confidential or tell my manager?)
    - My contact in the recruitment agency? (same about confidentiality)
    - The manager of the other department who I spoke to once or twice?

thanks in advance!
    If you read your contract you will find that you are not allowed to have this discussion with the client.
    That's the formal position...

The reality is....
    Go to the other manager and tap him up informally. If he's interested in you then you go to the agent.
    Tell them you've been asked to consider some other work which you feel might be of interest but you want more money for it.
    The agency will then see that you've just made his life easier, and potentially even got him a bonus uplift. The rest is up to him.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Nothing wrong with making internal enquires but either you, the client or both will have terms in the contract that you have to engage through the agency when it comes to the contract etc. Pimp will want his cash.

Leave a comment:

• Want to go for a different job at the same client - who to talk to

I am currently working with an organisation that uses mainly one recruitment company (that hired me) and the contract is up at the end of the year. (I did not start any renegotiations/extension talks yet)

I see a new job ad for a contract from this same recruitment company, which I know (from the description) is in the same company I work in now but in a different department. The job looks more interesting (and inline with my exp), and I want to go for it.

Who is best to talk to about it?

- My manager in current role?
    - The job ad has a number so I could call them to find out more? (but do they keep these chats confidential or tell my manager?)
    - My contact in the recruitment agency? (same about confidentiality)
    - The manager of the other department who I spoke to once or twice?

thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jf2010; 25 October 2019, 13:14.

Working...
X