• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IPSE - A letter from the CEO about IR35 in Finance (ref: Lloyds, Barclays)"

Collapse

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Is that not more likely to tick a box than remove it??
    "(Contract) outside of IR35" then

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Think that's a little harsh - can't see anything in that letter to take offence at.
    I wasn't referring to the letter, but rather their failure to influence the IR35 "reform" in any meaningful way.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Simply put (Contract) after your role title to immunise yourself from them
    Is that not more likely to tick a box than remove it??

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    More worryingly someone from HMRC viewed my LinkedIn profile last week.
    Simply put (Contract) after your role title to immunise yourself from them

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
    There is no point writing. The aides answer the letters if they can be bothered. You actually need to go and see your MP in person and spell out what it means for you.
    My Tory MP is the same. Safe seat, doesn't bother replying to any comms except the one template reply I got when I wrote to him about the LC. I tweet regularly too and he ignores everything. B@stard deserves to burn in hell.

Leave a comment:

• NeedTheSunshine
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    My Labour MP has never once acknowledged, let alone deigned to respond to, any of my letters. I used the online service, wrote to the local constituency office, wrote to her at Westminster Palace. Sweet FA back.
    There is no point writing. The aides answer the letters if they can be bothered. You actually need to go and see your MP in person and spell out what it means for you.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    My Labour MP has never once acknowledged, let alone deigned to respond to, any of my letters. I used the online service, wrote to the local constituency office, wrote to her at Westminster Palace. Sweet FA back.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    My most recent missive (a bit of a rant I must admit) met with "Thank you for your further correspondence on IR35, the content of which has been noted."

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Ahh yours is a Corbynite.<swear word>

Mine is a minister under this shambles of a government so no point writing to him.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I keep writing to my (Tory) MP. Have had some decent but non-committal responses. I've just sent another one about forced PAYE at Barclays and Lloyds and how the genuine self-employed are affected. Can't do much more than that.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Sorry but that is total bollocks. Chris knows more about contracting and IR35 - and, more importantly, the people behind it - than you ever will.
    Agreed, unless I imagined Chris was my program director (contractor) for several years at RBS in Amsterdam and In London

Top contractor

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I keep writing to my (Tory) MP. Have had some decent but non-committal responses. I've just sent another one about forced PAYE at Barclays and Lloyds and how the genuine self-employed are affected. Can't do much more than that.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    I think the outset is incorrect, in that the guy writing it has minimal experience of contracting, IR35 and the general industry:

"Chris Bryce
    Chief Executive
    Chris was one of the original 2,000 members of the organisation when it was formed as the Professional Contractors Group in 1999 and was a long-time contractor with a strong client base in global scale change management.

Before becoming a contractor Chris had a career in sales and marketing followed by 10 years in senior management in the logistics industry. Chris was appointed as Interim CEO in June 2013 and accepted the role permanently in December 2013."

I'm not convinced this guy had or has the know-how to tackle IR35. IPSE incorporating uber delivery folk and the rest was a joke, that Scruff correctly highlighted through the various means possible at the time. IPSE aren't of much use now and they haven't done a good job of representing the original members: contractors.
    Sorry but that is total bollocks. Chris knows more about contracting and IR35 - and, more importantly, the people behind it - than you ever will.

As for IPSE being impotent, so is everybody else in the face of a Treasury civil service that has no understanding or experience of how to deal with a workforce that doesn't align to their Victorian ideas of master/servant as the only possible arrangement.

The only way to break this deadlock is to persuade HMG - specifically the PM and Chancellor - that what they are doing is not only morally wrong but economically incompetent. What IPSE and other bodies are trying to do is precisely that. Like it or not, it is the only option.

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    All channels are good to follow and there's nothing inherently wrong with the letter and what it suggests.
    I think the outset is incorrect, in that the guy writing it has minimal experience of contracting, IR35 and the general industry:

"Chris Bryce
    Chief Executive
    Chris was one of the original 2,000 members of the organisation when it was formed as the Professional Contractors Group in 1999 and was a long-time contractor with a strong client base in global scale change management.

Before becoming a contractor Chris had a career in sales and marketing followed by 10 years in senior management in the logistics industry. Chris was appointed as Interim CEO in June 2013 and accepted the role permanently in December 2013."

I'm not convinced this guy had or has the know-how to tackle IR35. IPSE incorporating uber delivery folk and the rest was a joke, that Scruff correctly highlighted through the various means possible at the time. IPSE aren't of much use now and they haven't done a good job of representing the original members: contractors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X