• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dilemma

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dilemma"

Collapse

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by Maka344 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate that I have to make the choice - what would others do in the same position?

I have enquiry/IR35 insurance, too.
    Everyone's attitude to risk is different... Everyone's ability to take different route is different... No one can help or advise you other than you...

Lowest risk is to leave and move to a client who has to give you a determination upfront...

Highest risk to do nothing and extend....

Chance of an investigation ? Do you work with someone who might attract HMRC attention ?

Can you afford to lower the risk and just leave ?

No one can help with all these variables!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    What I would do would depend on several factors
    a) how big a war chest do I have
    b) is it going to be in the skiing season
    c) have I got evidence of my working practises being outside IR35 such that I believe I can defend an outside determination I'm responsible for

if no to c and yes to a and b then I'd be leaving.
    if no to c, and no to a or b, then I'd be staying and accepting the risk, knowing that it's my own stupid fault for not getting c right.
    If yes to c I'd be staying.

c is the key. I have that everywhere I go as it's my standard practise. It should be yours too.
    I love this post!

And there you have it OP.

(Bear in mind that that is what Lance would do, allowing for the possibility that HMRC will have their hands full - but on the other hand that possibility will be for you to decide)

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate that I have to make the choice - what would others do in the same position?

What I would do would depend on several factors
    a) how big a war chest do I have
    b) is it going to be in the skiing season
    c) have I got evidence of my working practises being outside IR35 such that I believe I can defend an outside determination I'm responsible for

if no to c and yes to a and b then I'd be leaving.
    if no to c, and no to a or b, then I'd be staying and accepting the risk, knowing that it's my own stupid fault for not getting c right.
    If yes to c I'd be staying.

c is the key. I have that everywhere I go as it's my standard practise. It should be yours too.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    I'd post to a UK base IT contractor forum then make up my own mind based on the first 12 responses.

Leave a comment:

• Maka344
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    A very good summary - and what you do is completely up to you and your attitude to risk.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Bearing in mind HMRC can only launch 250 enquires a year from 100’s of thousands contractors

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    They'll be getting contractors in to sort that. There will plenty about.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    A very good summary - and what you do is completely up to you and your attitude to risk.
    Bearing in mind HMRC can only launch 250 enquires a year from 100’s of thousands contractors

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Do I stay where I am and receive the last payment from current client in March then seek a role inside IR35 like many more will be doing come April onwards.

Or take the new contract but risk an investigation as the final payment will be paid by the client in April 2020.

New contract is outside IR35 as is the current contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Dilemma

I'm sure you are big enough to be making the decision.

Very little we can add.

Leave a comment:

• Maka344
    replied
    What is your Dilemma exactly ?

Have you been offered an inside ir35 role for example ?

Do I stay where I am and receive the last payment from current client in March then seek a role inside IR35 like many more will be doing come April onwards.

Or take the new contract but risk an investigation as the final payment will be paid by the client in April 2020.

New contract is outside IR35 as is the current contract.
    Last edited by Maka344; 8 October 2019, 19:46.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Dilemma

What is your Dilemma exactly ?

Have you been offered an inside ir35 role for example ?

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Apologies for the typo, current contract started in Nov 2018*

Given the changes to IR35 from April next year, I trying to determine the best option. A fellow contractor who has been in the game for 20+ years told me this week that he hasn’t even thought about the IR35 changes coming next year - he’s just accepted a new contract too!
    What changes are you on about?

Anything new except end client determining you IR35 status ?

Leave a comment:

• Maka344
    replied
    Apologies for the typo, current contract started in Nov 2018*

Given the changes to IR35 from April next year, I trying to determine the best option. A fellow contractor who has been in the game for 20+ years told me this week that he hasn’t even thought about the IR35 changes coming next year - he’s just accepted a new contract too!

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    And you started next month ?
    been renewed twice as well.

Sounds like timey wimey stuff.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Are you completely bonkers ?

Ir35 has been about since 1999 why on earth do you think anything has changed except that the end client will determine your status ?

And you started next month ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X