• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Day rate

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Day rate"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Look sorry it came across this way (and sorry for calling you fella!), but a lot of us have seen this many times.....

Out of interest, how far is the commute and how long does it take with no traffic?
    Is train an option? IMHO much less stressful (although when it does go wrong it goes REALLY wrong).
    Did you miss this bit?

Your comments have already been raised and to be honest not helpful.
    And the bore off bit?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
    Well I didn’t quite realise the volume of traffic/roadworks etc adding significant time to my commute!

Your comments have already been raised and to be honest not helpful...so with due respect bore off .

Ps I’m not a fella I’m a female
    Look sorry it came across this way (and sorry for calling you fella!), but a lot of us have seen this many times.....

Out of interest, how far is the commute and how long does it take with no traffic?
    Is train an option? IMHO much less stressful (although when it does go wrong it goes REALLY wrong).

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I agree....

OP - didn't you consider the travel before you thought about the gig? i.e. google maps for travel time, trains etc - basic stuff.

7.5/8 hours is hardly that bad......

11 hours out of the house. So 8 hours work, 30 mins lunch, 75 mins each way. Not the end of the world fella.
    Well I didn’t quite realise the volume of traffic/roadworks etc adding significant time to my commute!

Your comments have already been raised and to be honest not helpful...so with due respect bore off .

Ps I’m not a fella I’m a female

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Nothing unusual with that contract. You have to figure out your travel time before you sign and decide whether you want to commute or stay over (with WFH on Monday’s/Fridays if the client agrees).

If you’re not happy and the rate isn’t good enough to stay over then you’ll have to decide on whether or not you want to continue.

This is the life of a contractor.
    I agree....

OP - didn't you consider the travel before you thought about the gig? i.e. google maps for travel time, trains etc - basic stuff.

7.5/8 hours is hardly that bad......

11 hours out of the house. So 8 hours work, 30 mins lunch, 75 mins each way. Not the end of the world fella.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    The tulip gigs always teach you something
    Agreed although I'm likely to say a tulip gig is one where I learnt nothing. At the time I'm in the job, I may have other opinions.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    The tulip gigs always teach you something

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Onwards and upwards. It won't be long before it becomes nothing more than an amusing story from your past. Some good lessons learnt as well which will stand you in better stead for the future..

Go get em tiger.
    You are spot on...onwards & upwards

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    It’s small and they expect everything and more ...think am going to knock this on the head....too much grief and life’s too short
    Onwards and upwards. It won't be long before it becomes nothing more than an amusing story from your past. Some good lessons learnt as well which will stand you in better stead for the future..

Go get em tiger.

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    Always check how many hours in a day, my contracts either outright say rate £xxx based on 7.5 hours/day or they just say £xxx and I ask beforehand what the permies do, and base my hours to match.

I never do 9-5 though I always check flexibility is acceptable. I keep a timesheet and make sure it adds up to 35 or more or whatever at the end of the week, and bill for 5 days.
    It’s small and they expect everything and more ...think am going to knock this on the head....too much grief and life’s too short

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    Always check how many hours in a day, my contracts either outright say rate £xxx based on 7.5 hours/day or they just say £xxx and I ask beforehand what the permies do, and base my hours to match.

I never do 9-5 though I always check flexibility is acceptable. I keep a timesheet and make sure it adds up to 35 or more or whatever at the end of the week, and bill for 5 days.

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Keep a close eye on your working practices. Very easy to become part of a team and do whatever needs to be done in very small organisations.
    Thanks northernladuk that’s spot on...I’ve not worked in small organisations before and I’m quickly getting that impression

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Is a commuter bike not an option? Something like a CB500F that you can buy and then sell for the same price.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yes it’s a small business...!! And not able to be that flexible..
    Keep a close eye on your working practices. Very easy to become part of a team and do whatever needs to be done in very small organisations.

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Plenty of places operate core hours. Sounds like that place is probably a small business, not necessarily able to be as flexible.

No real problem aligning my hours to match client hours where possible, found that most of my gigs require additional communication around domain knowledge, requirements anyway.
    Yes it’s a small business...!! And not able to be that flexible..

Leave a comment:

• perplexed
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sounds like you work in a shop
    Plenty of places operate core hours. Sounds like that place is probably a small business, not necessarily able to be as flexible.

No real problem aligning my hours to match client hours where possible, found that most of my gigs require additional communication around domain knowledge, requirements anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X