• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SC Clearance level 3 vetting - worried"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WorriedOne View Post
    Would this be the same for NPPV level 3 vetting?
    Obviously...

Its not hard. All vetting is about establishing how well you can be trusted. Doing anything like avoiding hard questions is not a good start, is it? They dont care what you've done, they do care if you dont tell them. Especially since they already know.

Leave a comment:

• WorriedOne
    replied
    Would this be the same for NPPV level 3 vetting?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonPM View Post
    I didn't really have a choice, if I had told my employer, I would have been out.
    Not disclosing anything you are asked to do is fraud. So you've a theft caution and then caught committing fraud? Doesn't look good does it. Perfect person you want handling SC data.
    Dodged a bullet somehow there.

Leave a comment:

• AnonPM
    replied
    I didn't really have a choice, if I had told my employer, I would have been out.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonPM View Post
    I was with a major consultancy on a secure project, SC vetting minimum. I had a conviction for theft about 15 yrs prior and had tried to dodge these contracts for a while.

Anyway, corporate vetting group ask me to fill out forms and they submit on my behalf. I did not disclose anything at this point.

About a month later I get a letter direct to me from a government agency (customer) saying, something not quite right with your application, have you missed anything out?

I was honest at this point and explained I did not want to disclose anything to my employer and apologised.

SC granted a few weeks later.

Hope this helps.
    It does. It proves that being honest and upfront is the way to go else you are just relying on pure luck and at best you dodge a bullet.

I hope it's not leading people to think it might be worth doing the above in future just because you got away with it.

Leave a comment:

• AnonPM
    replied
    Be Honest

I was with a major consultancy on a secure project, SC vetting minimum. I had a conviction for theft about 15 yrs prior and had tried to dodge these contracts for a while.

Anyway, corporate vetting group ask me to fill out forms and they submit on my behalf. I did not disclose anything at this point.

About a month later I get a letter direct to me from a government agency (customer) saying, something not quite right with your application, have you missed anything out?

I was honest at this point and explained I did not want to disclose anything to my employer and apologised.

SC granted a few weeks later.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    We've got a sticky at the top of this very part of the forum named SC clearance Read First before asking questions. Link is here.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...questions.html

We get this question endlessly and although the thread has turned in to a mammoth the same advice as above has been given endlessly. It's always exactly the same. Be honest.

Leave a comment:

• fatJock
    replied
    Just be honest about it - I got a £40 fine when I was 17 for punching a 16 year old lad (he deserved it by the way).

In my late 30s when applying for SC I still mentioned it. Better safe than sorry and as others have said, it's honesty they're looking for not being squeaky clean necessarily. Personally can't see that caution being a reason for you not getting SC but not being transparent about it .... and them subsequently finding out will be.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Don't Worry

I have a caution for worse than your offence and it didn't stop my SC being renewed.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Do you really think the clearance team wont take a look for any criminal records or similar information?

Think about what they are testing you for...

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Mention it.

They want to now if your susceptible to black mail as much as being trustworthy. Being embarrassed about a caution and not mentioning it makes you susceptible to black mail and also untrustworthy.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I got a TS10 for going through a bus lane (because I was getting out of the way of a police pursuit car), I always declare it even though I'm pretty sure I don't have to. What they are looking for is honesty. If you're not going to be honest with a very minor thing you're more likely to be dodgy down the line.....

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Originally posted by WorriedOne View Post
    The SC application does ask for previous cautions. So OK to mention it? I'm worried of getting rejected.
    If it asks for cautions then mention it!

If you don’t and they find out they will most likely reject it. If you mention it, then at least it shows your credibility.

If you’re worried about rejection then keep looking till you have your bum in a seat.

Leave a comment:

• WorriedOne
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    If it comes up as a question then mention it but if not there will probably be an anything else to declare bit at the end. If so mention it.

I would have thought a you would be ok unless you try and hide it.
    The SC application does ask for previous cautions. So OK to mention it? I'm worried of getting rejected.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    If it comes up as a question then mention it but if not there will probably be an anything else to declare bit at the end. If so mention it.

I would have thought a you would be ok unless you try and hide it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X