• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working hours per week"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    You can get a Ltd Co vertual business bank accout from Cashpluss online. No charges if you pay in regularly. It tkes 24 hours.
    Want another beer?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    Go straight to LTD if you can but it can take a while to set up, it took a couple of weeks to get my business bank account set up, and get my VAT set up, plus find an accountant and get the company set up etc.

Most recruiters insist you give them your LTD name, bank account details, VAT cert and incorporation cert up front.

I don't think it's too bad to go brolly for your first gig but as people say LTD is the way to go.
    You can get a Ltd Co vertual business bank accout from Cashpluss online. No charges if you pay in regularly. It tkes 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by bhavic View Post
    Probably a bit late now - But you can get a Starling bank account in minutes once your company is registered. Not sure what the feeling of starling is here on the forums.
    Start up, challenger bank. Business banking hasn't been running a year yet so it's a bit early to tell.

Leave a comment:

• bhavic
    replied
    Originally posted by NardDog View Post
    Thanks I understand there will be longer and shorter days, but the wording in the contract is what concerns me. The way I read it, the client can pretty much say the expect at least 8 or 9h per day.

I was under the impression it takes a bit longer, especially the bank account. I've still got a months notice with my current employer, so should have the LTD setup before the starting date, and I won't actually use the umbrella.

Probably a bit late now - But you can get a Starling bank account in minutes once your company is registered. Not sure what the feeling of starling is here on the forums.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    As others have said. It makes no sense. Either go Ltd OR umbrella for this gig.

Sounds like the agency want you to go umbrella so are stringing you a line.

From the time you started this thread it could have all been setup. Except maybe the VAT which you can backdate anyway if you’ve applied (I think)
    it matters not till invoice time..

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    As others have said. It makes no sense. Either go Ltd OR umbrella for this gig.

Sounds like the agency want you to go umbrella so are stringing you a line.

From the time you started this thread it could have all been setup. Except maybe the VAT which you can backdate anyway if you’ve applied (I think)

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

Most recruiters insist you give them your LTD name, bank account details, VAT cert and incorporation cert up front.
    Of those the LTD and the incorporation are on day 1.
    VAT cert takes not many days, and isn;t need till the first invoice.
    Bank account isn't needed until the first invoice is due.

Agencies have a process to get these all in one-go as it's easier for them to administer in one go. That's it.

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    Go straight to LTD if you can but it can take a while to set up, it took a couple of weeks to get my business bank account set up, and get my VAT set up, plus find an accountant and get the company set up etc.

I don't think it's too bad to go brolly for your first gig but as people say LTD is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Will you then be charged for the re-writing of a contract?
    or a reduced rate to 'keep it equal'.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Basically I'll be using the agency's umbrella initially, so that I can sign the contract and get the ball rolling.
    As soon as I've setup the ltd the agency will cancel the umbrella contract and a new one will be signed with my ltd.
    As Lance has said, just go straight to Ltd.

Why on earth are you being told to go with the idea of starting with an Umbrella? There is really no need.

You say it is the agency's umbrella. The cynic in me say that this is being suggested by them for a few months' earnings...?? Will you then be charged for the re-writing of a contract?
    Last edited by simes; 7 February 2019, 18:25.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Sorry, I've probably haven't written the best explanation.

Basically I'll be using the agency's umbrella initially, so that I can sign the contract and get the ball rolling.
    As soon as I've setup the ltd the agency will cancel the umbrella contract and a new one will be signed with my ltd. So it's just a temporary solution.

What I meant by " nopayments should go via the umbrella." is that I should have enough time, before the contract starts, to cancel the umbrella contract and sign one via the ltd.
    It takes less than a day to setup a LTD. Stop arseing around on here and go do it.

Leave a comment:

• NardDog
    replied
    Sorry, I've probably haven't written the best explanation.

As soon as I've setup the ltd the agency will cancel the umbrella contract and a new one will be signed with my ltd. So it's just a temporary solution.

What I meant by " nopayments should go via the umbrella." is that I should have enough time, before the contract starts, to cancel the umbrella contract and sign one via the ltd.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

Regarding the Umbrella/LTD bit, I've got a month to setup the LTD, which should be enough, so no payments should go via the umbrella.
    WHAT?????

Don't do this... You'll get your arse sued to the Job Centre and back.
    If you work under an umbrella the umbrella will get paid. If you find a way to circumvent that and divert the money to your LTD. you're in a whole heap of trouble.
    Likely the agent will drop you like a sack of tulip at the first sniff.

Never mind it taking a while to 'take the permie-shaded glasses off'. You need to start understanding who works for who, who has what contractual relationships and who owes how much, and to whom.

EDIT: Daft question time: Has the agency told you this is all OK and they've recommended an umbrella???
    Last edited by Lance; 7 February 2019, 11:25.

Leave a comment:

• man
    replied
    The agent has agreed to put 5 PWD per week in the schedule which I'm quite happy with.
    I don't mind doing longer hours and weekends, but I didn't fell comfortable signing something that allows the client to dictate how many hours per day/week I do, for a flat rate.
    I think you'll do fine, nicely done and good luck

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Thank you all for the replies. I understand there are different opinions on what's a reasonable PWD, but it's reassuring to see that my concerns were not unreasonable.
    It does take a while to take the permie-shaded glasses off

Regarding the Umbrella/LTD bit, I've got a month to setup the LTD, which should be enough, so no payments should go via the umbrella.

The agent has agreed to put 5 PWD per week in the schedule which I'm quite happy with.
    I don't mind doing longer hours and weekends, but I didn't fell comfortable signing something that allows the client to dictate how many hours per day/week I do, for a flat rate.
    Not without being paid day rate plus for them!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X