• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not extending - how to discuss with clientco"

Collapse

• Stevie Wonder Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    My contract expires in a couple of weeks and I have led clientco to believe that I will extend while simultaneously pursuing opportunities elsewhere.
    One of those opportunities has borne fruit and I will be taking it. How do you recommend I approach the conversation with clientco? They will feel that I've let them down and not given them much opportunity to get someone else in. I think that the bridges may be irreparably burnt if not handled well.

Thanks,

HW.
    Tell them "I am not going to extend, I know this is not what you expected, but I'm taking this other offer."

Be a man.

If they play the guilt card, go for the I can help (paid) with calls and e-mails if need me for hand-over. Also will be willing to do the odd day to assist.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Then there are some clients who "assume" you're staying regardless. As if you're lucky to be working there. There winds me up a little. Fair play if you want me to stay at least say so but then ensure I'm happy with the deal as well.
    Ah yes. Those clients are really fun. I usually can't wait to get out of there quick enough as this attitude is indicative of far greater concerns, usually around SD&C.

I often can't help but raise a wry smile after informing the client that I'm not accepting an extension, then when they come over all incredulous, I politely remind them that they were always free to have offered me a 12 month contract instead of a 6 month one in the first place!

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just don't seem to every get offered an extension, not even verbal.
    Is there such a thing as an extension in full-time employment, permieladuk?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    I've just spoken with them at clientco and they were great. They wanted to know what I'd be doing next so I told them (head of IR35 at HMRC ). They wished me all the best and asked if I could recommend a replacement. Couldn't've gone any better.

Not sure why I was fretting about this over the weekend.

Sounds like you've managed to keep them on side, which is always a bonus when these things happen. Even if to only reduce risk of hassle getting final time sheet signed or agency delaying/threatening to not pay up if they think you've acted 'unprofessionally'.

Bonus being you can now accept offers from benched CUKers to help the client fill the vacancy, and get a cut of the first month's invoice cash in hand.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Need a client first eh...
    Nah, plenty of clients.. Just don't seem to every get offered an extension, not even verbal. I must work really fast as they normally let me go early.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Nope. Not me.
    Need a client first eh...

Leave a comment:

• HugeWhale
    replied
    I've just spoken with them at clientco and they were great. They wanted to know what I'd be doing next so I told them (head of IR35 at HMRC ). They wished me all the best and asked if I could recommend a replacement. Couldn't've gone any better.

Not sure why I was fretting about this over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Always wise not to commit if you can because of this. Makes it difficult.

Then there are some clients who "assume" you're staying regardless. As if you're lucky to be working there. There winds me up a little. Fair play if you want me to stay at least say so but then ensure I'm happy with the deal as well.

Last client was clever. Sorted renewal out about 3/4 weeks before end so I had no chance to look around. Fair play to them. Those that can't be arsed and leave it until the day before - don't moan if I sort something else out. (I'm sure Ive mentioned the client who did this every time but was convinced - I told them about 10 times - that I had to give a months notice not to renew. WTF?).

As I'm sure everyone has, I've had a verbal promise of renewal that fell through a day or two before the end.

Generally, this. Any client with an intent to extend should let you know sooner rather than later; it's in their own interests for continuity's sake. I've had one that was left stunned because they'd not mentioned an extension and on the Wednesday before I was due to finish finally mentioned it after I'd already sorted something else out, mainly because I felt the next contract there was a bit of a direction change, heading straight up Highway IR35.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Nope. Not me.
    I normally get the verbal promise, then the panic that they never actually sorted the paperwork and the disappointment that I'm now mowing the lawn instead.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    As I'm sure everyone has, I've had a verbal promise of renewal that fell through a day or two before the end.
    Nope. Not me.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Always wise not to commit if you can because of this. Makes it difficult.

Last client was clever. Sorted renewal out about 3/4 weeks before end so I had no chance to look around. Fair play to them. Those that can't be arsed and leave it until the day before - don't moan if I sort something else out. (I'm sure Ive mentioned the client who did this every time but was convinced - I told them about 10 times - that I had to give a months notice not to renew. WTF?).

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Just as an aside, while I totally get why you did what you did (And, when all said and done, you've got to look after yourself first and foremost) I've found pushing back on a decision is the way to rate rises or at least more respect/understanding that you have options. Most people hiring contractors are permies with a permie mindset and I think it's good to remind them that you're there because it suits, not because you're worried about the mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    I was once informally offered an extension at a leading high street bank only to stroll in on my last day to a tap on the shoulder saying sorry, it's not happening, thanks for all the fish....
    A few weeks earler, I had turned down an offer from another place as 'I don't walk off a contract'.

Started looking out for myself first after this, you can act ethically and not walk off signed contracts but when that expires, it is open season.
    MAKE SURE THE OTHER ONE IS CERTAIN, try to get out clean, suck it up if they get nasty...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Go the manager who you work for, and say that you'll be leaving in two weeks. Then tell the agent you're not renewing. Your client needs to hear from you, not the agent.
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Things change. You won't be the first supplier who has pulled out after provisionally committing to do some work.

What I would concentrate on is not getting left high and dry. That's Rule Number One of contracting.

So don't tell them anything until the last possible minute.
    Combine these two and you've got a complete answer.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Things change. You won't be the first supplier who has pulled out after provisionally committing to do some work.

What I would concentrate on is not getting left high and dry. That's Rule Number One of contracting.

So don't tell them anything until the last possible minute.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X