• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working on oilrig / offshore"

Collapse

• sludgesurfer
    replied
    As an consultant engineer contracting offshore, I'd say its pretty unusual not to see either an uplift built into a contractors day rate or a clause stating that an offshore day constitutes a 12 hr day. I've worked North Sea, Gulf of Mexico, West Africa and Caspian and never known a contractor working on his onshore rate whilst offshore. That's not to say it doesn't happen regularly, only that I've never heard of it.

I was staff for 13 years before going contract and two of my roles were office based. The contract had a stipulation for 'occasional trips offshore' but these were staff roles.

The current contract I am working under has a clause for an 8hr onshore day rather than the regular offshore 12 hr day should my service be requested in the oil company office. I would expect the reverse to apply for a regular onshore contractor going offshore.

Check your insurance cover. Insurance for offshore work is clearly different even if you're desk-based offshore.

Check VAT requirements - you may find provision of services related to 'land' outside of UK territorial waters (12 miles) are considered 'outside the scope of VAT'

The geographic location will determine the training requirements. Some places you don't even need a life jacket to get on the helicopter. In the North sea, you won't get past the check-in desk without £800 worth of courses.

In terms of the state of the industry. Rates are 20-30% below their peak and its still pretty grim, $70/bbl or not.
    Last edited by sludgesurfer; 21 January 2018, 16:46.

Leave a comment:

• SaraMac
    replied
    Contracting

HI

<mod snip>
    Last edited by cojak; 12 January 2018, 17:14. Reason: Touting for business not permitted

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Cool story bro. Thanks
    I see you love affair with PC is going well.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Having worked in Defence industry I know colleagues who thought that it'd be a laugh and a challenge going "in theatre" for a bit. i.e Basra it was at the time.

One day and mortars exploding outside and I know one guy who crapped his pants and demanded home. Luckily, employer was good enough to bail you out if you do wanted.

I had chance to go to Kandahar airfield for a bit. Turned that one down. Probably not that dangerous but tulipty living conditions and you still needed flak jacket and helmet. Sod that.
    Cool story bro. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Never got to do either in the end sadly. Did a stint working in Dubai but that's fairly recently when it's now a business hub rather than the enclaves and the like of old so a bit of a walk in the park rather than a challenge.
    Having worked in Defence industry I know colleagues who thought that it'd be a laugh and a challenge going "in theatre" for a bit. i.e Basra it was at the time.

One day and mortars exploding outside and I know one guy who crapped his pants and demanded home. Luckily, employer was good enough to bail you out if you do wanted.

I had chance to go to Kandahar airfield for a bit. Turned that one down. Probably not that dangerous but tulipty living conditions and you still needed flak jacket and helmet. Sod that.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Yes you do, you don't accept the contract.

Don't you have to go through loads of training like the helicopter ditching and the like before working on the rigs?
    Depends who owns the rigs - UK or others (like norway) I think. UK then yes you have to do the upside down helicopter in swimming pool.

I had the chance once with permie job. No effing way since I can't swim am I doing that!

Also, buggered if I'd do something like that where A) its dangerous and B) crappy living conditions for anything less than mega bucks extra.

Leave a comment:

• Johnk01
    replied
    Having worked both Perm and Contract in this field over many years there are a couple of points

1) Perm will be getting massive allowances whilst offshore usually in the region of double + time off in Leiu
    2) Remember ..... very important .... ALL ..... your life insurances etc will be invalid whilst offshore (from the moment you board the helicopter or support vessel) as along with other high risk roles as this they are 100% excluded, this will include Mortgage Protection and Health.

The Perm roles will be offering special insurances whilst offshore as a matter "of course" make sure you are included in this before you get onboard the transport please do not risk it.

Other than that "go for it" believe me the experience is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    indeed

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    What is the oil industry like now? A couple of years ago it was pretty poor.

It might be worth keeping your CV current?

A neighbour of ours is still filling in time between oil jobs by working at Tesco.

Indeed times are hard for my O&G buddies, if op does not agree there will be 100 folk that will

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Northenlight View Post
    I've done the training and I have been off before as a permie. I would just expect a different rate for working in a much riskier environment in terms of danger and hours worked. The work involved would mean 5-6 days of 12-16 hours work. I am guilty of being naive in terms of not having work hours stipulated in the contract, perhaps.
    As a permie, didn't you receive an offshore allowance? I worked in IT for an oil exploration company in the late 80s/early 90s as a permie and got a daily offshore allowance of £40 for each shift worked (typically two weeks on/two weeks off, 12 hours per day, although my assignments did not follow the regular schedule). There were also additional allowances for working in hostile environments.

Why don't you have an addendum added to the rate schedule of your contract to incorporate a daily offshore allowance?

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Don't you have to go through loads of training like the helicopter ditching and the like before working on the rigs?
    yes you have to do a load of training.
    For day trips, no training is required beyond safety briefings for the flight out, and once on the rig.

For more frequent and longer stays, an offshore survival certificate is required. The certificate for UK operators is (or at least used to be) the most rigorous in terms of qualifications, and would be acceptable to Norwegian and US operators. The opposite was not true however.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You already are in contract to the consultancy, and now they want to send you to an oil rig. If the contract says they can do this, you can either do it, or tell them you won't and take the consequences. (Or tell them you won't without decent compensation).

A lawyer might look at your contract and say that a shift to an oil rig is a material difference. If you're lucky. Or the consultancy might sue you for breach of contract. Or they might cave, or they might sack you.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Northenlight View Post
    I've done the training and I have been off before as a permie. I would just expect a different rate for working in a much riskier environment in terms of danger and hours worked. The work involved would mean 5-6 days of 12-16 hours work. I am guilty of being naive in terms of not having work hours stipulated in the contract, perhaps.
    What is the oil industry like now? A couple of years ago it was pretty poor.

It might be worth keeping your CV current?

A neighbour of ours is still filling in time between oil jobs by working at Tesco.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Entirely agree; just the way the OP worded it made it sound like it wasn't really something he was all that keen on. Did you ever manage to do a stint or did that particular desire pass you by? Be interested to know what it was like!
    Never got to do either in the end sadly. Did a stint working in Dubai but that's fairly recently when it's now a business hub rather than the enclaves and the like of old so a bit of a walk in the park rather than a challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Northenlight
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied
    I'm not 100% bought in to that. I get what you are saying but when I was a spotty apprentice I wanted to do a stint on the rigs and also working for one of the big oil set ups in the arab states. Do something really tough to test my mettle. You'd come out with a good experience and some interesting stories. Now I'd probably just draw the line at an interesting country. If it pays enough to cover the bills and a bit but there is a bit of life experience I'd consider it. A bit like the threads about Zurich. People always talk about the money and is it enough? I'd ask do I fancy a couple of months or so working in Zurich for the experience first. Sometimes it's not all about the money (for some).
    Entirely agree; just the way the OP worded it made it sound like it wasn't really something he was all that keen on. Did you ever manage to do a stint or did that particular desire pass you by? Be interested to know what it was like!

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Yes you do, you don't accept the contract.

yes you have to do a load of training.
    Once you’ve done the training you are worth more to the next client as they don’t have to put you through it again. So if the OPs client is going to pay for the training, and it’s short term it might be worth it.
    Think of all the money saved in boozing (most rigs are dry).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X